Salome
Terminal

by Excretakano USER (7 Reviews)
January 5th, 2011 | 50 replies | 3,931 views

Review Summary: An album so in your face it will grind your face right off.

Indian burns leave your skin feeling raw. So does a belly-flop into a cold pool. So does being dragged behind a team of galloping horses face down over a poorly paved road for 10 miles before being cut loose so a black-cloaked bastard can flip you over and lash your oozing wounds with a cat-o-nine-(salt-crusted hot-metal cable)-tails. Real freaking raw. That is the kind of raw that Salome communicates with Terminal.

The doom trio conjures a riff-tastic racket on their second full-length. Terminal is truly tortured, and torturous, soul-burning stuff - not the torture remembered of YOB or Ahab, nor the torture foretold of Worship or Evoken, but the torture being endured RIGHT FREAKING NOW. Kat's vocals groan and squall like she's digging her way through three tons of earth toward some righteous and gory vengeance. The almost manic drums drive songs forward with more vigor than I expected from a doom record, but of course there's the signal-sodomizing "An Accident of History," whose only motion develops out of sonic cycles buried in the feedback roar and a couple (very) scattered chord crashes. Such a long track nestled right in the middle of the album screams centerpiece, a statement of intent very far from planet Doom, and only hinted at during the album's six shorter tracks. I'm left guessing at its purpose, and I can only think of one possibility.

Extra rawness.

While Heaven Wept Vast Oceans LachrymoseA Forest of Stars Opportunistic Thieves of Spring
John Zorn IpsissimusWorm Ouroboros Worm Ouroboros
Velvet Cacoon P aa Opal Poere Pr. 33Cleric Regressions

keysofanxiety
January 5th 2011

We used to call them "Chinese Burns", not "Indian Burns", back when I were a lad *remembers fondly how everything were, in fact, fields*

January 5th 2011

this album was way underwhelming almost fell asleep

Excretakano
January 5th 2011

Agreed - not great as a "metal" album... you gotta want it for the sound of it.

January 5th 2011

you may want to look up the latest Thou album it was more properly composed

January 5th 2011

wow more properly composed im a fuckin idiot

eggsvonsatan
February 4th 2011

I enjoyed this a good but, but the 14 minute snoozefest halfway through the album will keep me from listening for a good bit.

Wizard
September 11th 2012

19206 Comments

Didn't know this had a review. Alachlahol, why are you bringing up Thou, bands are night and day apart from each other.

Digging: Merzbow - Dust of Dreams

September 11th 2012

hey wizard let me go into to my memory archives from two years ago when i made these fuckin posts and ill tell you why. it was probably because this came out around the same time as summit and the two shared a split together

Wizard
September 15th 2012

19206 Comments

Did not know that and thank you for being the sarcastic dink that you are ; ). Is it worth checking out?

September 16th 2012

dont even remember. if you like both bands you may as well check it out, was opnly a couple tracks

March 10th 2013

wolferen

how is sweden

Relinquished
April 5th 2014

cold but in my house it's nice and warm