Blue Hawaii
Blooming Summer

by robin EMERITUS
January 2nd, 2011 | 31 replies

Review Summary: nostalgia, done wrong.

Blooming Summer one-ups the genre around it in one very important way: it is deep. And that isn’t for the record’s lush sound either; the layered electronica here is as deeply-rooted and well thought out as Life Of Leisure or Summer Heart, but musicianship aside, Blue Hawaii has created a record with great emotional weight, at times so intense and so painful you won’t go back for a while. “Blue Gowns” can’t be a holiday pop song or a nostalgia trip because it stings with longing. It reads more than anything like a break-up piece in its despairing lyrics (“I see you thrusting into her / and I think how stupid can you get?”) and is felt a hundred times over in Agor’s unsettlingly genuine vocal performance in which she spills over the music made for her. The melodies are heartfelt all over, but it’s Agor that makes this record something graphic and meaningful, her croons on “Lilac” and her distant murmurings on “Dream Electrixra” that make it a captivating listen rather than another summer-only LP. This is anything but soothing, and as a result Blooming Summer is the perfect chillwave record, taking the tropical pop fun and translating it into something more than beach photos. It goes beyond being the vintage electronica sound we’ve all been tuned into over 2010’s course by throwing panging honesty into the mix. And with the execution of tracks such as “Lilac” and “Lonelyhearts” as touching as the theme itself, you’re going to feel this.

The Smith Street Band Throw Me in the RiverSharon Van Etten Are We There
His Hero Is Gone Fifteen Counts of ArsonSuperchunk I Hate Music
The Weakerthans Reconstruction SiteThe Waterboys This Is the Sea

Untogether

January 2nd 2011

bad writeup but this is too good to miss, i think.

AggravatedYeti
January 2nd 2011

I got this album way too late.

cvlts

review's a lil shabby

very shabby.

conradtao

2090 Comments

this could have made a really good soundoff

January 2nd 2011

Definitely should have been a soundoff. Still a great read.

porch

the review does its job, brevity isn't a bad thing

January 2nd 2011

apologies about the whole sound off thing. wouldve posted it like that except i wanted to see some actual discussion on the record and stuff, since i know yotimi and kirg have it. also i never do soundoffs because im silly.

AggravatedYeti

the review does its job, brevity isn't a bad thing

^ agreed.

cvlts

meant no offense

January 2nd 2011

i just wanted to be dylan ;)

conradtao

2090 Comments

'“Blue Gowns” can’t be a pop song or a nostalgia trip because it stings with longing.'

Pretty sure a lot of pop songs are longing.

But yeah, I totally get what you're saying about there needing to be discussion for this. And besides, it reads unsurprisingly well. Also, this EP is fantastic.

January 2nd 2011

i guess i really meant a chillwave song, you're right. raelly the important word there is "stings". i'll edit, thanks

January 2nd 2011

So much music to acquire.

plane
January 2nd 2011

This EP seems deep and sometimes is.. but I don't know. It could be more but it seems to think less is more until it uses more and then flips around like that

but I love it anyway 8)

robertsona
January 2nd 2011

good review i mean brief and all but who carES

January 2nd 2011

the ep is deep/i am simple.

also matt get this!

gaslightanthem

cute

alachlahol
January 2nd 2011

nice review. this is chillwave i didnt know was coming obviously i wasnt on top of my game dont worry i wont make that mistake again

Kiran
January 3rd 2011

looove this, cuts like "lilac" and "blue gowns" are out of this world. her voice takes this to higher dimensions.

Digging: Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmilsson