Obscurity
Tenkterra

by J. Ponton EMERITUS
December 24th, 2010 | 37 replies | 8,355 views

Review Summary: Another solid offering from the viking metal veterans.

Tenkterra is not an album for the black metal elitist, nor is it for the most grizzly of death metal head-bangers. It is not Banquet In The Darkness-brutal melody, nor is it Nattestid Ser Porten Vid-melodic black excellence. Rather, Viking metallers Obscurity’s fifth studio album is strictly solid, strictly fun, as far as melodic black/death metal goes, and though I’ve already limited my audience to our own Kyle Ward, Hawks, Matt P. and Wylie McCloskey, the last on a good day anyway, it’s well worth checking out for any metalhead this year, particularly those that may have been left upset from the melodic disappointments of Dark Tranquillity’s We Are The Void or Eluveitie’s Everything Remains As It Never Was earlier this year.

Obscurity are strictly a German viking metal band, and as such, their lyrics are entirely growled/shrieked in German. However, don’t let that sway you from listening, as the melodies are so strong as to make the loss of the lyrics’ meaning of no consequence. There is a concept here – in fact, Tenkerra is a concept album that revolves around the late B.C. to early A.D. period of Germany, enter Rome and bloodshed, etc. But the strength of the music alone, particularly in the area of consistency, makes the album an enjoyable, fun listen, no matter what may be taking place in the album’s story, or even on what track you may be currently on.

Voice Agalaz retains a high-produced and substancial shriek, though, not quite native to much of black metal, true, but rather grounded in the recent arise of modern melodic black metal bands – quiet, Karl. Suffice it to say, Tenkterra is all the better for it. The vocalist rides mid-to-fast-riffs from guitarists Cortez and Dornaz with finesse, squeezing his own tight melodies into those of the axemen themselves. Highlights are few, but this is mainly due to the album’s consistency as a whole. It would be nice if Tenkerra didn’t blend together so much, actually, this being its main downfall. But as far as melodic black/death goes, particularily in the context of the dismal 2010 year, consistency-good/great is much better than consistently-bad/average. Tell that to Dark Tranquillity next time you see them, boys. Great work.

There Will Be Fireworks The Dark, Dark BrightBring Me the Horizon Sempiternal
As I Lay Dying AwakenedTim Hecker Harmony in Ultraviolet
Thousand Foot Krutch The End Is Where We BeginOwen I Do Perceive

December 24th 2010

sorry for the influx of reviews. it's been slow anyway because of holidays

just trying to clean out the closet, fun band:

Hawks
December 24th 2010

Nice review as always man. Album sounds pretty awesome.

Digging: Engraved - Before The Tales

Metalstyles
December 24th 2010

Sounds fun, I'm going to leave town tomorrow for a few days but when I get back I'll look this up. Good review as always.

December 24th 2010

Once I get off work I'll download this, put on my viking helmet and drown my sorrows in the loneliest Christmas eve of all time. With mead and spiced cider.

Lol Balls.

Good read!

December 24th 2010

Cheers, those that commented should find something to like here

December 24th 2010

There was a viking metal band I discovered today called Galar who was pretty cule. the somewhat raw but melodic kind, and includes a cello/violin from time to time adding to the fun

Irving
December 24th 2010

Great review Jared, have a pos.

Sputnik's a bit on the slow side today. People won't care (and prolly won't notice) if you pump out three or four on Christmas Eve =)

Digging: Ty Segall - Manipulator

December 24th 2010

Ugh I wanna review a recent release but I can't find anything interesting. Sorry, this review just reminded me that like 75% of what I've written since the promotion has been at least a year old. oh well.

review is great, have a pos

Digging: Maybeshewill - Fair Youth

December 24th 2010

Thanks guys, and no worries sowing. Fortunately our positions are all "voluntary" per se, so we can review anything basically, or not even review for a year or two like some of the others... I mean, if you're going for staff than new releases are the way to go, sure, but for me personally, I dont see myself getting that for a while anyway, haha, if ever tbh.

December 24th 2010

I see you like darkest hour, a band I've been looking at for years without ever getting into. What would you suggest?

December 24th 2010

Yeah, they're definitely one of my favorites. Go for Deliver Us or Undoing Ruin first, as these are the most immediate of their albums. If you get into those albums, then go for their most recent, The Eternal Return and one of their earlier, rawer albums, Hidden Hands Of A Sadist Nation. They have a new one coming out in March - see Adam Thomas' interview. Can't wait for it personally.

This is one of my favs from them

but these are the catchy singles

December 24th 2010

I will definitely check these out when I get home. Thanks man!

December 24th 2010

Well obviously I'm not even thinking about staff right now. Hell, I just got contributor like 3 weeks ago...but I understand what you are saying. I actually prefer reviewing new stuff, so that people can look at my review and then (maybe) get interested. But ever since my review for TROW it has been pretty slim pickin's.

December 24th 2010

Yeah same here, I like reviewing new stuff because it makes my review seem relevent you know? It something new that no one has heard yet, so I feel like my review could be useful.

cvlts

nukka, slow down

December 27th 2010

I've been writing reviews for a lot of new(er) albums recently, but I've yet to review something brand new, but yeah, you guys shouldn't worry about it too much. Excellent review as per usual, Jared.

TheOceanInside
December 27th 2010

as my metal friend would say, "VIKING, METAL!!!!!" and go into this power stance. for that i'll always respect you guys lol

December 27th 2010

thanks for the feature, had no idea this was recent enough to get one.

SomethingSimilar
December 27th 2010

Disagree that Eluveitie's album was a disappointment! Agree with you on DT though.

But apart from that, excellent review - I'll definitely check this out.