Disciple (USA-TN)
Horseshoes and Hand Grenades

good

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
December 23rd, 2010 | 13 replies

Review Summary: good and boring.

Disciple is a sketchy band at best, and a poor band at worst. They are frustratingly inconsistent, constantly switching sound styles as if believing the act itself will make them a better band - it has never worked. Although their old albums were heavy metal, the band experimented with mainstream rock occasionally (a poor effort). When they would return to metal, they often seemed to forget how to do it. Clearly, their dabbling with mainstream rock influenced them too much to ever do a fantastic metal album. Such is the case with Horseshoes and Hand Grenades, where the audience learns, to their frustration, that Disciple is as inconsistent as ever.

Disciple’s last album showed a new side of the band, a southern rock side, and they were surprisingly good at it. Therefore, Disciple’s blend of metal and mainstream rock is now mixed with the southern rock/metal of their last album. Unfortunately, it is mixed in poorly, like flour stirred without vigor, and consequently, chunky. The only song to blatantly showcase their southern influence is ‘Watch It Burn’; the rest of the time the influence barely rears its head at all, and when it does, it is employed boringly. Clearly, more thought should have been put into the execution of that style, or whether they wanted to implement the style at all.

Horseshoes and Hand Grenades is mostly a mainstream hard rock/alternative metal album. For the first time in a while, the band has succeeded in making an alright mainstream-oriented album. All songs have massive choruses, and that is commendable in this genre. The vocalist is also as good as usual, hitting the notes with gumption and emotion. If all you want is catchy, melodic, mainstream music with ripping guitars and memorable choruses, look no further. Still, I recommend looking further.

Ultimately, the album is too average to amount to anything noteworthy. Even though the choruses are large, since the songs sound too similar to each other, the listening experience is one disorienting blend – once you’ve heard one song you’ve heard them all. It may be good for the occasional listen, but anything past that would be overkill. There is little more that can be said about the album.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass

Eko

nice summary.

Irving
December 23rd 2010

Sounds like an album well-deserving of your indifference Pizz. And speaking of zzzzz, I love how your summary, like just takes out the album art.

Also, this:

I chuckled. You are the god of similes/metaphors.

Pos.

pizzamachine
December 23rd 2010

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm very indifferent about the album. I was counting on you finding that simile Irving! ;)

Irving
December 23rd 2010

I sometimes want to know where you get ideas for these things. Then I check myself, and realize that I probably don't.

tiesthatbind
December 23rd 2010

The last two albums were better but I still enjoyed this.

DanteCuomo
December 23rd 2010

I'm with ties though this did wear off after a while.

Xenophanes
December 23rd 2010

Weird Pizza metaphors always make me laugh, nice work!

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

demonSABER
May 5th 2011

I think you need to give disciple more credit. Scars remain was pretty great. Southern hospitality was good too. Concerning this album: Dear x you dont own me is an amazing song especially the lyrics!

Ikarus14
September 2nd 2011

I agree with the inconsistancy but I really enjoy this record.

OnFireAlive
November 22nd 2011

Inconsistancy isn't neccesarilly a bad thing, you know. They are experimenting, and it is a great thing for a band to do.
The band members are very talented and boy, do they know how to pull off a good bouncy alt.metal/rock album.

ZacharyHansen
June 11th 2012

When I first got this album, I agreed completely with you, but this album has grown a lot on me (obviously). It is now one of my favorite albums.

Toondude10
November 29th 2012

This album is certainly one of those albums where it does grow on you.

Digging: Hey Rosetta! - Second Sight