Penpal
Penpal

by SowingSeason STAFF
December 22nd, 2010 | 16 replies | 6,058 views

Review Summary: Although they may need to diversify their sound, Penpal show a few subtle strokes of genius on their self-titled debut.

Penpal’s debut album is comparable to American Football – it tumbles and rolls gently through waves of atmospheric electric guitar picking overtop of simple, repetitive drum beats. It never seems to be in a hurry to do…well…much of anything. This shouldn’t be taken as a criticism, though, because it is exactly that which gives Penpal its chill vibe, gorgeous flow, and endless room for experimentation. The fact that Penpal never seems anxious to throw everything they’ve got at you leaves plenty of room for the album to gradually and naturally progress – adding a new instrument here, a moving solo there – and giving the listener new twists and turns all the way until the very end. There are certainly moments when Penpal starts to get repetitive, but luckily they never last for too long before the album is revived by something completely unique and experimental. Take “Japanese Bonus Track” for instance…the last minute of the song single-handedly breathes new life and energy into the music with several distorted, fairly complex electric guitar riffs that could fit right in on any rock n’ roll album. The power and emotion that radiates from each riff can be felt with refreshing lucidity due to the way that the band slowly and very progressively sets up its entrance. Then there is the way that “Two by Two” incorporates some math rock and indie influences in the opening portion of the song, helping to draw the listener in for the soft, trance-like jam session that ensues. Penpal is slow to develop, but when it does, the results are well worth the wait. Fans of experimental math rock and indie rock, take notice.

Astronauts Hollow PondsAnberlin Lowborn
Bleachers Strange DesireThe Afghan Whigs Do to the Beast
Matt Kivel Days of Being WildRun River North Run River North

December 22nd 2010

Thanks go out to Iamthe Nightstars for informing me about this album, which apparently is available for free download...see his most recent list.

Digging: Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus

PuddlesPuddles
December 22nd 2010

I don't need this at all but yet

I almost can't leave go to sleep tonight without getting it...

December 22nd 2010

Oh hi Sowing. You have a review out today too, it seems!

This was an excellent read. It made me really interested in getting this...which I will actually do right now since it's free =)

December 22nd 2010

Actually, could I get a link pliz?

PuddlesPuddles

Xenophanes

Haha, what's with the Mulan avatars? Great review man

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

December 23rd 2010

it has to do wih irving's 20th review, go check it out. i'm going back to pam eventually though.

and thanks, i whipped this review up pretty quick but i like how it turned out for the most part

Calculate

hell yeah

hell yeah what

Iamthe Nightstars
December 23rd 2010

This rules. I love the guitar solo in Japenese Bonus Track.

December 24th 2010

yeah that was one of my favorite parts too

Iamthe Nightstars
March 5th 2011

Wore off on me after a couple listens. Still a nice listen but honestly it's just a lesser American Football to me. With that being said I think they have a lot of potential and this is only their debut so I'm looking forward to what they come out with next.

March 5th 2011

Same thing happened to me