The Mars Volta
Octahedron

by iluvtweepop USER (7 Reviews)
December 20th, 2010 | 13 replies

the Mars Volta: known for 10 min+ songs, insane musical interludes, and being born from at the drive-in, a much loved post-hardcore band. Opinions of tmv are varied, some view them as musical geniuses worshipping every release they've put out, others think they are pretentious crap. And there are those who just think they are highly talented musicians who consistently put out quality material with the odd misstep ( ahem scabdates). I would probably fall into the last one, I think Frances the mute is brilliant and its my fav album, but at the same time I would say some of there stuff is...not very good.

When they announced that this was an acoustic album, people were divided: People wanting another de-loused were obviously disappointed and probably just dismissed the album. People who saw the band as pretentious were hopeful that they'd finally become a 'normal' band. And everyone else was...interested.
Would they fail? could this change in direction bring something as great as de-loused or Frances? would it be any good?

The answers are no,no and yes

Despite what everyone said, this isn't an acoustic album,really. But if you listen too the first section of 'since we've been wrong' (after the synth intro: I don't count that as music) you'd been forgiven for thinking that. Its a mellow track for the most part, totally different too anything on bedlam. put after 5 mins drums come in and play for the last two mins. wtf? acoustic my left bumcheek!

Indeed, the next song, 'Teflon' starts with a cool drumbeat. And it is all the better for it. its a brilliant track. Cedric is as cryptic as ever (although from what I’ve gathered, the lyrics on this album are about kidnappings and such) and Juan is brilliant as always on his bass. This song is a pretty typical rock song though, its undeniably Volta, but its been toned down and doesn’t feature any musical interludes tmv are known for.

Of course, the whole acoustic thing gets thrown out the window with 'Cotopaxi'. This song is more like the songs on bedlam (i know a lot of people have said that). Its a great song but doesn’t fit with the rest of the album, its just kind of randomly placed there.

All in all, this is a great album. All the songs on the album have something going for them. Although, people expecting an acoustic album are going to be dissapointed. But so are people expecting a typical Volta album. I personally think change is good. If this was bedlam 2.0 it'd been crap!!

recommended songs:
Teflon
cotopaxi
Copernicus
Luciforms (for an awesome outro :D)

please be constructive with your criticism
hoped you all enjoyed this review please comment on what you think needs improving, otherwise I can't improve!!

Single Mothers Single MothersJohnny Foreigner Johnny Foreigner vs Everything
Los Campesinos! Hello SadnessAnimal Collective Danse Manatee
Former Ghosts New LoveXiu Xiu Dear God, I Hate Myself

*but after 5 mins...* :DD

Winsomniac
December 20th 2010

'Summary: Change is good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

You could probably have put in a few more exclamation marks. I can't really tell how excited you are with that many.

Digging: Submotion Orchestra - Alium

taxidermist
December 20th 2010

I liked this band/CD in general, so pos'd.

taxidermist
December 20th 2010

Read the review, pretty good for a first. It wasn't a track by track so that's good.

thanx

i was thinkin about doing it track by track but it seemed a bit much for this album :D

Xenophanes
December 20th 2010

Get rid of that awful summary. Aside from that, this is an impressive first review.

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III - Saturnian Poetry

AggravatedYeti

recommended songs:
Teflon
cotopaxi
Copernicus
Luciforms (for an awesome outro :D)

please be constructive with your criticism

this would probably be better suited as a comment in the thread as opposed to an outro for your review.

but I do stand by your user name wholeheartedly.

LepreCon

Yeah. Cool man.

Knott-
December 20th 2010

wtf? acoustic my left bumcheek!

lmao

December 21st 2010

thanx guys :D

i won't change the outtro for this one but i'll take your advise for other reviews

also yh! twee pop for the win!

InFiction
December 22nd 2010

This is written well, but it would look much better if you cleaned up your writing more. ie; don't use abbreviations, fix some grammar and spacing, etc.
But you got your points across easily and it's spaced out well.

omnipanzer
February 16th 2011

^ This

Pos'd
Never heard the album and probably never will nice review though for a first.

dcha