Johnny Polygon
Wolf in Cheap Clothing

by Bulldog USER (114 Reviews)
December 19th, 2010 | 36 replies | 5,126 views

Review Summary: Come and reminisce over all the times you’ve had, good and bad, with a loser and a weirdo.

Now that you’ve had almost a month to ‘catch up’ with thirty tracks’ worth of unreleased material, greatest hits, and the best of the past decade from Johnny Polygon, Tulsa’s very own musical renaissance man has bestowed upon us an early Christmas gift: the long awaited Wolf in Cheap Clothing. The seven track EP is the third release from J.P. in 2010 – the others being his Valentine’s Day release Rebel Without Applause and the aforementioned Catch-Up – and marks the end to a strong year for the up-and-coming rapper/singer/proud medical marijuana cardholder. Made possible by 2Dopeboyz and the good folks down at DJBooth.net, Wolf in Cheap Clothing is twenty-two minutes of love, heartbreak, sex, and partying with plenty of 80’s and 90’s influence to boot, minus the kitsch.

On Rebel Without Applause, Johnny was faced with a dilemma – he couldn’t “figure out if [he was] a rapper or a singer”; ten months later, we’re still at the same impasse. As the sole vocalist on Wolf in Cheap Clothing, J.P. appropriately alternates between the two; showcasing his deftness as both. The stark contrast, between the two (his comedic, at-times apathetic rapping and smooth, reflective brooding) always keeps things interesting.

Despite being made on the budget of a proud independent artist, the production on Wolf in Cheap Clothing is remarkably eclectic and well-mixed. In fact, there’s something for just about everyone here. “Everyday’s a Holiday” is so lax and jazzy. “Handle My Wasted” is a frenzied party beat with bouncy, high-pitched synths. “Stupid Li(f)e” is almost orchestral in its stylistic variations. “Someday” is simplistic and demands foot-tapping in cadence. “F-ckin’ Awesome” revels in retro style. With influences that flashback to the 80’s and 90’s, the sonic diversity is complimented by a radio-ready appeal and a knack for catchy sing-song hooks.

But the ultimate appeal of Johnny is his lyricism. That being said, Polygon doesn’t so much fit the mold of a hyper-lyrical rapper than he does as a singer-songwriter. He has an eerie penchant to seemingly whip up ambiguous proverbs out of thin air and create contemplative Facebook status-ready quotations at will. He has the ability to make the most trivial topics interesting and his dry wit and abrupt, blunt punchlines are always equally unexpected and entertaining. Moreover, he has the appearance of being wise beyond his years, and there are oddly sagacious lyrical snippets to be found throughout the EP. But all of these abilities are trumped by his defining strengths,

Honesty and humility.

Rather than being pompous and self-aggrandizing, Johnny is humble and self-aware. Such a thing is almost a paradox; a rarity within the genre. But such things are commonplace and second nature in the music of Johnny Polygon. On “Stupid Li(f)e” he admits that his materialistic lifestyle is insubstantial. He finds himself emotionally lost and heartbroken on “Nevermind”. “Invincible” is a stream-of-consciousness narrative that begins when Johnny wakes up next to some slut, unaware of where exactly he is. Everything has a sense of empathy to it, as if Johnny has truly lived every single thing he purports to have suffered through in his music. In short, Johnny’s an entirely relatable character: he’s had his good adventures, but he’s also been dejected and down in the dumps and he’s had more than fair share of his trials and tribulations.

Will Johnny ever make it big time like he so often expresses his wish to do? Maybe. But until then, he’ll continue casually playing the humble everyman role. Either way, there’s no doubt the Oklahomie’s on the come up. Record companies will tell him to represent a place more rugged, and he’ll just say, “f*ck it. Tell ‘em I’m from Oklahoma and watch ‘em love it.” Well, I love it, Johnny. Nicely done. I’ll see you at the Cain’s in a few days. Bet with this EP there will be more than fifteen people at the show.

Young L DOMO-KUNRaekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang
Lupe Fiasco LasersSaigon The Greatest Story Never Told
MF DOOM Operation: DoomsdayLil B Angels Exodus

December 19th 2010

First review back as Bulldog. Feels good, man.

Anyway, this is pretty good. Was a bit of a grower. Can't tell if I like this or his 2009 EP "Group Hug" better. You can download this for free at http://www.johnnyfuckinpolygon.com

December 19th 2010

glad to have you back bool. pos'd

good shit i guess, but not a 4-5

Inveigh
December 19th 2010

jammed this today in my car -- pretty great stuff

nice review Bully, good to have ya back on the orig account

December 19th 2010

Thanks guys, it's good to be back. Glad you all digged the EP. It might end up on my end of the year list.

Don't know bout you two but my favorite tracks on here are "Someday", "Nevermind", and "Fuckin' Awesome"

who produced this?

Bob Saget

Johnny Poly is pretty swag

December 19th 2010

Various people. Picnic Tyme produced "Invincible" and "Nevermind", FourOhOne produced "Everyday's a Holiday", Anthony Jenkins produced "Someday", The Soundmen produced "Fuckin' Awesome", and Danny Duren produced "Stupid Li(f)e".

There's a neat story behind the production though. When the project was first conceived, Johnny Polygon asked all his Facebook friends (he has a profile instead of a fan page) via a status to submit their beats to him for a chance for them to be on the album. Dude is a really cool, down-to-Earth guy.

Johnny Poly is pretty swag

Yea but your parents are fucking gay for not letting you come to the concert with me Wednesday.

Bob Saget

yea basically.

December 19th 2010

I've decided that "Group Hug" is my favorite Johnny Polygon release. Though I've yet to get "Leggo My Eggo", shit is more rare
than a Lil B song.

JustJoe
December 19th 2010

So much music to check out. I'm overwhelmed.

glad to have you back bool. pos'd [2]

December 19th 2010

Thanks Joe, I'm just glad to be back on Bulldog. I have a lot of music, and ratings, to catch up on as well. You should check this out though if you get the time man.

JustJoe
December 19th 2010

I've added it to my evergrowing list. You should check out my third review if you're in the mood for a headache.

December 19th 2010

thats a cool concept man for the beats; speaing of Facebook, booldawg are u on it?

iisblackstar

might actually check this out, sounds interesting

i thought this guy was a dick to you or something once?? or am i delusional

December 19th 2010

You should check out my third review if you're in the mood for a headache.

Will do.

speaing of Facebook, booldawg are u on it?

Yea man you want my profile or something?

might actually check this out, sounds interesting

You should bro. http://www.johnnyfuckinpolygon.com

i thought this guy was a dick to you or something once?? or am i delusional

No I met him outside of his concert once while I was trying to find a scalper and I talked to him for a while and he gave me a free t-shirt and advised me to sneak into his concert. He's a cool dude.

iisblackstar
December 19th 2010

sounds like a good dude.... couldve sworn you emailed him a review awhile back and he ignored it or something. checking it out now

December 19th 2010

yeah i want to add you booldizzle

December 19th 2010

Yea he did ignore it but he's got alot of shit to do.

Aight urinetrouble.