Murderdolls
Beyond The Valley of the Murderdolls

good

by OpethOfEpica USER (3 Reviews)
December 17th, 2010 | 7 replies

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A good fun solid album and nothing more or less.

Note This is my first review so please love (or hate) reading this review and comment on my review thank you.

At my school, the views of Murderdolls are one of three things: Never heard of the band, heard of them but don’t listen to them or prise them as kings. Two of my friends are especially crazy about this band so I decided to listen to this album based on their opinions. Based on these two people, this band is extremely overrated and this band really disappointed me. After that I decided to go back to it and I finally see this album as I should do, a good fun solid album and nothing more or less.

I won't do this album track by track because of my main problem of this album, nothing on this album is good enough to stand up on itself and be something to remember (Even though "Dead In Hollywood" came very close and "I Love to Say ***" was just that for saying "***" around 86 times!). Every track has little variation with simple song structure and the same fun (but overtime boring) teenage horror lyrics however in that they do they do quite well with it being simple this band manages to makes it fun with little things done wrong (but nothing done spectacularly either).

I've always like Wednesday 13 with his voice standing out from the metal crowd with his rough and angry tone suiting the music greatly in addition to adding humour in the songs makes his voise even more unique giving the album a much needed shine. (Which is good for Wednesday 13 since he always sounds like a somewhat sane mental patient so he needs some energy to sound good). Despite this, the other band members have no chance to shine what so ever even though the simple riffs remain catchy thoughout so this album is kind of a double edged sword. Also all the positives in this albums won't last long because over time, this album gets boring and generic quickly so best to play this only once in a while.

Pros
- Good fun any time and anyone who can deal with heavy music.
- Wednesday 13's voice
- Catchy

Cons
- Gets very boring after a while
- A double edged sword (sacrifices substance for catchy riffs)
- No truly groundbreaking songs
- Not much variation in the song lyrics

So if your expecting a pure great piece of music which will stand the test of time, don't waste your breath however if you looking for catchy, angry and just pure fun for a afternoon or a party, this album is for you.

3/5

3.3
Oneiron (3.5)
And through all of the staggering mediocrity somehow everything works...

Metalhead24 (4.5)

The Goth (4.5)

Women and Children Last

December 17th 2010

I think a lot of the problem with this album is due to the thin production. All of these songs sound much better with a thick live sound.

Digging: Necropoli - I

December 17th 2010

When it comes to production, I try not to focus on it because I want to just focus purely on the music and nothing more after all Black Metal has proven good music can be made even in a basement.

December 17th 2010

I only half agree. I think that good music can be made in a basement, but that doesn't mean that it will be enjoyable to listen to once it's transfered to any recorded medium in a shitty manner.

Kris.

shit was so good like 6 years ago when i was all angsty n shit fuck ya

December 17th 2010

We were stationed in England about 5 years ago and someone gave us free tickets to their London show so we went. I had never heard them, and they were fun. I was disappointed once I bought the album, but there were lots of chicks at the concert.

December 18th 2010

I only can't stand bad production when it's so bad, it destroys all enjoyment for me as a listener (For example Darkthrone is a band that production quality I can't stand). Anyway these would be very fun to see live with a good crowd.

SCREAMorphine
December 18th 2010

Gee i thought this was cool,

good review