Disarmonia Mundi
The Isolation Game

by jitteryzeitgeist USER (36 Reviews)
December 14th, 2010 | 10 replies

Review Summary: Soilwork's lil' squirt outdoes daddy.

Despite In Flames best efforts to kill off the monster they created with some truly horrifyingly bad craftsmanship, the three-legged tardsloth known as melodic death continues to churn out good-to-great acts like Insomnium and Disarmonia Mundi, the latter is sometimes known as "Soilwork Jr.", "Bjorn's Toilet", or other such names I just made up.

The Italian stallions in Disarmonia have really gotten an unfair shake in the metal world due to the exact same reason they probably gained notoriety: Bjorn Strid of Soilwork fame shares vocal duties with these guys, and Bjorn is the kind of man people tend to obsess over or hate. Some have even claimed he is of poorer vocal quality than Anders "Jon Davis Jr." Friden from In Flames, to which I reply is complete ridiculitude.

(I'm coining that word. Dibs!)

Anyway, with the obvious kinship noted above, I'm not saying Disarmonia Mundi may be a Soilwork ripoff, but when the drama got stabbed they may have felt it, if you know what I mean. The Isolation Game swaps up from bouncy thrash riffs to weaving, bootstomp grooves and soaring choruses, as well as some pretty choice epic soloing.

The first five songs off this album are some corkers, and I've got very few complaints about the rapid-fire mosh numbers that they open with here... but right at the title track they drop an egg that stinks up the joint for another five tracks. It isn't until "Same Old Nails for a New Messiah" that the album manages to unfumble its balls and deliver the damn goods. It's not as if the slower songs are that slow or light, they do try to be heavy, but unlike "A Taste of Collapse" from their 2006 album Mind Tricks, there's just no real meat to be had on these tracks, and they don't take advantage of the slower format quite like that piece of epicocity manged to. And while "Blacklight Rush" is placed smack-dab in the middle of this albums dregs, it too suffers from some poor writing, at least compared to the rest of the album.

(Coinin' that ***, too!)

So why a 3.5? Because when The Isolation Game puts its best foot forward ("Structural Wound", "Perdition Haze"), it's a serious un***withable juggernaut of sound. It's better than even the "return to form" album that Soilwork released, The Panic Broadcast, and not by a very narrow margin.

If you enjoy some head-stomping good times with a hooky, catchy chorus, this album should be on your "Check their Myspace" list.

Godsmack 1000hpIn This Moment Blood
Clutch Earth RockerNothing More Nothing More
Soilwork The Living InfiniteKillswitch Engage Disarm the Descent

Raz0rGrind23
December 14th 2010

Nice quick review. I have a soft spot for these guys. Always a treat listening to this. And I completely agree with you. However, Losing Ground is another song that does it duties exceptionally well! Pos.

BeardedIdiot
December 14th 2010

About damn time this got reviewed. Considered doing that myself at one point, but...
Anyway, album's really good. Band's really good too. Discovered it through Soilwork, now I can say this is like ten times better. Gonna pos.

A side note - am I the only person on teh internetz that actually likes the title track? lol

Willie
December 14th 2010

I'll pos. I like the personality that this review has. As for the album, I loved it the first few listens (had it at a 4.5), but I only really listen to "Cypher Drone", "Structural Wound" and "Building An Empire of Dust" now.

Digging: Skrew - Universal Immolation

Curse.
December 14th 2010

Something about this review irks the shit out of me, but I won't neg

Digging: Beach Slang - Cheap Thrills On A Dead End Street

wyankeif1337
December 15th 2010

sweet review bro

standundefeated
December 16th 2010

Very solid release... I may have given it a generous rating though.

Skhrnykhsk
January 18th 2011

"THE ISOLATION... GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!"

Shuyin
July 21st 2011

i just dislike the amount of times i hear 'fade away' in this album, the rest is kickass

Digging: Yoko Kanno - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex OST Vol 1

trilogique21
November 15th 2011

kind of like Meshuggah and "reality"

LoneWanderer
December 8th 2011

The title track is pretty epic...