The Damned Things
Ironiclast

by Jim Thompson USER (1 Reviews)
December 9th, 2010 | 75 replies | 7,524 views

Review Summary: A little fun and passion can be oh so good...

In 1991, Scott Ian shocked the world by collaborating with Public Enemy, recording a new version of Bring the Noise. Being the first to mix Metal and Hip-Hop, the song quickly changed the landscape of music and has been credited for influencing future bands like Rage Against the Machine, Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit to just name a few. Nearly two decades later Scott isn’t as daring as he was then but his new supergroup has surely sparked interest in the odd mixture of musicians. The Damned Things is a supergroup consisting of Every Time I Die vocalist Keith Buckley, Scott Ian and Rob Caggiano of Anthrax and John Trohman and Andy Hurley of Fall Out Boy. With the quintet consisting of three very different bands, would the poppier tendencies of FoB, the thrashier riffs of Anthrax or the chaotic metalcore of ETID dominate the final melting pot product?

In all, The Damned Things is a Rock outfit put together to create fun rock music, pulling the best talents from each of its members to create Ironiclast, their first LP. Keith Buckley fits seamlessly as the frontman of the rock group, perfecting his passionate southern twang vocals that he’s been progressing with through the past few ETID records. Keith shows great range on the record and his vocal hooks are the cornerstone to most of the tracks from the soulful croons on Black Heart and Little Darling to the insanely catchy first single We’ve Got a Situation Here. The band has openly stated major influences for the record from bands such as Thin Lizzy and Led Zeppelin which is demonstrated the most by their guitar work, handled by Scott, Rob and John. The guitar work on this record is very solid, many of the tracks are loaded with very bluesy hard rock riffs interspersed with some heavier and lighter moments while guitar solos are littered throughout the record, nearly a standard on each track. The highlight of the album, apart from the the outrageously catchy We’ve Got a Situation Here, are the heavier tracks towards the end of the record. Graverobber begins with thunderous down tuned guitars and arguably the most aggressive track on the record along with the title track. Overall, Ironiclast is an entertaining rock experience.

A problem some may have with the record is that it’s very average in approach and execution. If you’re looking for an album to break barriers in a genre or something very technical, then you’re looking in the wrong place. Ironiclast, for its 10 tracks and nearly 40 minute span, is a fun rock record that, if taken at face value, will keep the listener tapping their foot and singing along to the infectious chorus’s. The mixture of artists is intriguing but the band finds common ground and succeeds in mixing catchy hooks with bluesy riffs. The Damned Things may have looked sketchy on paper but have created a record that, while it isn’t overly complex, shows that having a little fun and passion can be oh so good.

Alex Carlson (4)
Expectations be damned: Ironiclast is an ambitious record from a group of talented and remarkably mu...

mrodizzle (2.5)
Damn it (I need to think of a summary)...

Eli EMERITUS (3.5)
With their debut, The Damned Things have created one of the most fun and enjoyable Hard Rock albums ...

Album is so fun

December 9th 2010

Yes it is. This is my first review, I've had the album for a few days and I really like it. Not the most impressive music but it's fun and catchy and there's not enough music around today of just artists having fun making music.

Okay, so I'll get this

Digging: Banks - Goddess

December 9th 2010

Buckley's vocals are really really good on this

December 9th 2010

I'd say the single is the best track Dev and you should base getting this off that. I see this album
having an average between 3-3.5 and may be a little underwhelming for some.

And yea, Buckley rules on this, he fits perfectly as a the frontman of a rock band.

somberlain

wtf?

December 9th 2010

having an average between 3-3.5 and may be a little underwhelming for some.

Seems like a good time rock album that won't really matter much in a few months time, but that's cool. I'll probably nab it and listen to a few tracks here and there (I'm not a fan of streams)

Nice work by the way, especially for your first

Inveigh

I love fun rawk n roll

Great review JWT, esp for a first

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend

whywontyoudie
December 9th 2010

nice first review. i tend to enjoy shorter reviews that don't wander too far into giving the music away, and you certainly kept from doing that. have a pos.

December 9th 2010

Well dammit he has been here long enough, he should have a first this good

whywontyoudie
December 9th 2010

i didn't notice this was JWT because it just says Jim at the top so i didn't expect it to be an older sputniker.

Shhhhhh...

December 9th 2010

Nevermind... thanks all for the kind words, definitely check this out.

Athom
December 9th 2010

get rid of the bolding. nice review.

MalcolmX
December 9th 2010

good review. the album is enjoyable.

Dev518
December 9th 2010

None of the songs are as good as We've Got a Situation Here. Some come close but a few tracks such as A Great Reckoning are pretty bad. I'm a little underwhelmed, I expected this would be a 4 for me. I might not rate this because neither 3 or 3.5 really sit right.

Dev518
December 9th 2010

Does anyone think that Keith Buckley would ever leave ETID if this band became extremely popular? I really hope not.

Ponton
December 9th 2010

kinda interested in how this would turn out, but its boring. oh well

Xenophanes
December 9th 2010

Hey man didn't know you had this in you ;)

Great first review, most definitely pos.

Satellite

20728 Comments

that's one of the worst album covers i've ever seen.

Digging: Spoon - They Want My Soul