Deathspell Omega
Paracletus

by Kyle Ward STAFF
December 5th, 2010 | 706 replies | 50,373 views

Review Summary: The pinnacle of an already established and respected sound, Paracletus is the very best of what Deathspell Omega have produced thus far

Those familiar with Deathspell Omega won’t be surprised by the focus on winding guitar riffs that are as complex as they are bizarre, a trait that the band has used since their inception to distinguish themselves from other bands in the expanding French black metal scene. Their unorthodox song structures shatter petty genre preconceptions like blast beats and ceaseless tremolo-picked riffs, recognizing that the genre is beyond these simplistic notions that went out of style shortly after the collapse of the second-wave Norwegian scene. Instead, we are met with infinitely progressive compositions and musicianship that, despite the chaotic nature of it all is painstakingly precise in its execution and contribution to the finished product. Such is the case with Paracletus, an album that takes the advances Deathspell Omega have made in their sound since the release of Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice and refines them to near perfection.

It’s almost eerie how well each and every riff works to further the overall atmospheric presence, one that is monolithic in scale and extremely potent. The chaos of complex riffing no sooner gives way to relatively simple and plodding strings of notes before shifting to a set of uniquely bizarre and unsettling melodies. The pace is constantly shifting in multiple directions, never settling on one course of action for too long, but then again never too brief to be labeled as spastic or disjointed. From the incredibly thick atmosphere fueled by spoken-word French in “Dearth” to the brazen insanity of “Have You Beheld The Fevers?”, Paracletus works its course in covering an incredible amount of ground without being dragged down by the near-constant shuffling in tempo and mood. The ability for the album to tie itself together via the duo of “Epiklesis I” and “Epiklesis II” is noteworthy, making it seem like everything going on is a part of a singular cohesive unit that must be seen as such.

This tendency for the album to appear as more than the sum of its parts is an admirable feat for a release that runs for forty-two minutes with a total of ten tracks, its short running time and higher track count suggesting an album that comes off as far more fragmented than Paracletus actually is. The impressive drumming ushers in a fervent sense of chaos during the more intense tracks and a wandering plodding when the music breaks for a slower atmospheric moment. The impressively technical riffs are paired perfectly with Mikko Aspa’s growls and shrieks, providing brilliant fodder from which the album churns out its more unsettling moments, backed by the incoherent and often jumbling lyrics that are both dense and deep in nature. Paracletus marks the final chapter in the band's trilogy depicting metaphysical observations about God, the Devil, and Man, a concept that is directly reflected in the spiritualistic nature of the lyrics.

It’s easy to single out Paracletus as the best release in Deathspell Omega’s catalogue, one that is laden with already stellar albums. It lacks the dragging length of Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice and trims down the track lengths of Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum, all in an effort to create a more focused and compelling release that is perfectly embodied in Paracletus. It is the very best of what the band has to offer, and leaves behind the few shortcomings that existed in past releases. What we are left with is the embodiment of what makes Deathspell Omega as great as they are. The infinitely complex and progressive song structures accompany musicianship and songwriting that is at the top of its game, all sewn into a neat package that is exactly the right length. If Deathspell Omega continue to release material of this caliber in the future, they will undoubtedly be propelled into the upper echelon of the black metal elite.

Empyrium The Turn of the TidesWolves in the Throne Room Celestite
Agalloch The Serpent and the SphereInsomnium Shadows of the Dying Sun
Ainulindale NevrastSargeist Feeding the Crawling Shadows
Chatterer (5)
*chatter...* (Translation for mortals: Be afraid…)...

ThyCrossAwaits (4.5)
A dense, black opus....

December 5th 2010

I've decided that this is my album of the year. It really doesn't deserve anything less.

Digging: Ulver - Bergtatt

Hawks
December 5th 2010

Great review as always man. Awesome album.

Digging: Equilibrium - Erdentempel

Comment 24,994.

You go girl.......super review

Ponton
December 5th 2010

Definitely a band on my to-get-to list

great review, Kyle

December 5th 2010

Let me know what you think Jared, because I'm not sure what you'll make of this. If you can appreciate it, though, I'm sure you'll love it.

Just post nonsense until 25k Balls.

RIBBBBBARRRRRAADDDF

December 5th 2010

Fucking love your Avatar too Jared, that's one of my favorite paintings.

SeaAnemone

19755 Comments

fuck you just made me feel guiltier for not hearing this yet...

fantastic review though man, will listen in the next 5 minutes and will report back later probably.

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

Psilocyanide
December 5th 2010

Good review, album's pretty damn good too.

December 5th 2010

fuck you just made me feel guiltier for not hearing this yet...

Thanks man, never took you for a black metal listener at all, but regardless this album is well worth checking out.

Hyperion1001
December 5th 2010

I wanted to get this in hard copy before i listened to it, but my record store only had an earlier album and not this one yet. Still debating on DLing it.

Digging: Huerco S - Colonial Patterns

liledman
December 5th 2010

finally a good review for this, nice work.

but no mention of the concept and lyrics?

December 5th 2010

Thanks, I'll look over the parts you mention. As for what you say about the final sentence, it isn't intended as a fanboy remark, and I'm not entirely sure it reads as such.

DarkNoctus
December 5th 2010

this album sucks, all it is is random notes :UUUUU

excellent album, excellent review B]

December 5th 2010

Tidied up those two sentences and added a little bit about the lyrics and the concept. Hopefully that brings everything into order.

Voivod
December 5th 2010

I'm listening to this right now, very unique sound perspective.

The guitars reminded me, for some reason, Vicotnic's work with Ved Buens Ende.

Digging: Essence Beyond - Carnivalism

ShadowRemains

20252 Comments

album rules, great review, pos'd

TheFantasticDangler
December 6th 2010

checkin a few songs out on youtube, i'm somewhat diggin it, vox arent doing much for me tho, but i love how original these dudes are

jingledeath
December 6th 2010

Superb review man though I would say these guys are already in the upper echelon of the black metal elite for me.

Wizard

19240 Comments

Shit that was a damn good review. I'm just starting to warm up to this record. The immediateness and concise nature of the songs is not what I'm used to by this band but it's a good change nonetheless.

That honour should be going to Immolation you twit hahahahaha.

Digging: Cloak of Altering - Plague Beasts