Nadia Ali
Embers

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
November 28th, 2010 | 38 replies | 5,917 views

Review Summary: blissfully blissful blissfulness.

The fabricated sound of dance/trance music always has the potential to be stimulating. This potential can often turn lethal when the softer side of trance music is employed. Also with the possibility of quality over quantity, an equation still remains: the music consumer may look upon the album with apathy. Even when the production qualities are great, synthesizer sounds are blissful, and songs are executed excellently, some albums will still wear a bit thin. Such is the case with Nadia Ali’s debut album, which fails in memorability simply because of a lack of punch. What it does not fail in, however, is capturing the listener with heart-felt lyrics, and smooth sailing.

Embers is an oddly appealing album. For some inexplicable reason, no matter how many times I listened to it, I wanted more. There was something magnetizing about the Pakistani American singer Nadia Ali. There was something celestial in the way her exotic vocals melted into calm beats and soft electronics. It was like waking up and finally feeling the pulse of the world, listening to its breath. There was an unmistakably beautiful quality to the sounds which burst out of the blue. Some say that listening to music can instill a spiritual encounter, and if such is the case, Embers certainly seems like a brush with Heaven. Or maybe only a handful of the songs are that wonderful and the rest are forgettable. Who cares, it was blissful.

So what if the album is somewhat typical dance music, this one stirs your soul. It is like bumping into that sweet heart (ten years later) that you never had the guts to ask out, but then you finally tell her how hot she is, and then violent kissing happens. This album is your best friend, it is that dog or cat that you always wanted. Give it the time it deserves, and it will grow on you like hair on a man’s chest or like something else on a girl. However, due to its regrettable typicality, despite the controlling charm of Nadia Ali, the album is too average to stick in memory. Directly in the middle of songs, they could have switched to soft rock, and no one would have noticed the difference. So if it is difference you are seeking, you will leave empty-handed. If you want to feel music, however, you will feel remarkably different after listening to Embers.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass

PuddlesPuddles

Niiiice, great review

kintups!

November 28th 2010

Thanks guys! It's my 40th review so I'm glad it's good. Also, Puddles, I love it when people call me by my previous account.

Irving
November 28th 2010

It's a machine of pizza!!!

Nice review mate. It made me lol quite a few times, particularly at the chest hair bit haha.

Only criticism I can think of is the fact that 3.5 seems rather low for such an (apparently) fine album. But that's splitting hairs, really.

Digging: Ty Segall - Manipulator

November 28th 2010

It's Irving!!! Yeah, good point, it was difficult to settle on a rating. I consider this a high 3.5, so I suppose I'll bump it up.

Niiiice, great review

kintups!

I thought I was the only one who knew....you PUDDLESWIMMER

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

the summary kills [2]
immensément immense d'immensité
Good 40th review, pizz!

immensément immense d'immensité

i think you should omit the "de apostrophe" my friend.

November 28th 2010

@ BLOC: Ah-ha! So Puddles *is* puddleswimmer!
@ Jet: I see what you did there. Cheers!

^Non Voivod, désolé
Edit: @ pizz; Cheers

Irving
November 28th 2010

Yes I influenced pizzamachine's review!!!

My purpose in life has been achieved XD

November 28th 2010

Lol you sure did! Although if I were you I wouldn't kill myself yet haha.

November 28th 2010

Devant une voyelle, ça prend toujours une apostrophe, Voivod.

November 28th 2010

Prendre garde Voivod, Jet est bon en Français!

Moi aussi mes amis :P

Depuis quinze ans quand je etais un bon etudiant lolololololol

November 28th 2010

I have no merit since it's my mother tongue. Well in fact, it's pretty much more than that; It's actually a passion.
=]

j'étais =/= je étais
Kapitche, Voivod?

natey

acquiring now

November 28th 2010

je comprends presque tous ce que je lis en francais.

Le problem pour moi consiste en parler le francais a quelque person, parce que je n'entends pas la langue dans mon pays.

Thanks guys for the french dialogue, it has been really invigorating.