Solace
A.D.

by Greg Fisher STAFF
November 20th, 2010 | 28 replies | 7,117 views

Review Summary: Solace proudly present their classy, yet heavily layered songcraft that elevates them above the stoner metal fray.

There was an element of anticipation verging on annoyance involved in the release of "A.D.", the long-awaited third full-length album by New Jersey's Solace. Initially, the disc was supposed to be released in late 2007 shortly after the band's being signed up to Small Stone Records. Yet, it took the act plenty of time to come up with a worthwhile follower to 2003's "13", their most accomplished work to date and most certainly one of the very best stoner metal albums ever recorded. "13" was a breath of fresh air vigorously blending stoner and doom metal with a hint of hard rock thrown in. It highlighted the abilities of Solace as both supreme musicians and songwriters. The question arises then: Is "A.D." as good as its excellent predecessor? The answer is straightforward negative. However, the album still proves to be one of the most notable underground metal releases of the year.

It will come as a relief for fans that their style hasn't changed a lot throughout the long 7-year hiatus. It's still very much the same band effectively combining stoner and doom metal influences into a heavy-as-hell whirlwind of sound. The only aspect that differentiates "A.D." from the act's previous releases is a way clearer inclination towards more complex, less hook-driven compositions that hardly ever resemble the conventional verse-chorus song structure. That's why, "A.D." is most certainly their least accessible as well as most progressive disc. It's not really easy to encompass numerous tempo changes and layers of guitars in one go, yet getting acquainted with the album might be a stimulating experience.

Once again we are dealing with excellent musicians. Solace have been always about monstrous guitar riffs. This time around they seem even more sophisticated than before often involving impressive interplays between Tommy Southard and Justin Daniels (e.g. the bridge of "Borrowed Immunity"). In addition, the riffs are appropriately diverse ranging from infectiously slow stoner rock of "Six Year Trainwreck" to sheer full-fledged doom metal of "Za Gamman." For a change the guitarists often implement highly technical trash soloing as well as meditational art rock riffs resembling King Crimson ("The Immortal, the Dead and the Nothing" and "From Below"). Their cooperation seems to be surprisingly fluid and monolithic throughout the album. The rhythm section is also incredibly dynamic providing a constantly groovy core to the act's trademark guitar-oriented sound. As regards vocals, Jason delivers his extremely layered blend of melodic singing along with demented screams that made "13" so infectious. His vocals are always in line with the music, which is the skill that plenty of his contemporaries would be better off developing.

Even if the level of songwriting does not quite match "13", it's difficult to select any particular standout tracks with the album so stellar as this one. Opener "The Disillusioned Prohpet" is the most energetic and contains the most jaw-dropping vocal performance, while "The Immortal, the Dead and the Nothing" has some really captivating progressions going for it. Closer "From Beyond" is certainly the most epic track that works so well due to its catchy vocal melodies. "The Skull Of the Head of a Man" provides a welcome change of pace with its ultra-fast aggressive punk approach. There are some minor missteps and stale passages though. They're particularly apparent when the leading riffs to several songs overstay their welcome. Making more selective choices in the production process should have easily eradicated this problem.

Other than that, Solace proudly present their classy, yet heavily layered songcraft that elevates them above the fray. "A.D." reflects the act's grand aspirations with an expertly produced hybrid of stoner, doom and progressive metal. Still underground and underappreciated by most, this is one of these obscure albums that just deserve to be heard by any means. Highly recommended.

Kimbra The Golden EchoDog Fashion Disco Sweet Nothings
So Slow DharaviMastodon Once More ‘Round the Sun
Fire! Orchestra Enter!Ought More Than Any Other Day

Feel free to check out Six Year Trainwreck:

Digging: Hilltop Hoods - Walking Under Stars

DoubtGin

13 is pretty high in my to-listen-to list

might listen to this one first though since its from this year

great review

November 20th 2010

Thanks a bunch. I haven't expected anybody to post in this thread.

13 is a great album to start with these guys.

November 20th 2010

Very good work on the review Greg. Your recent stoner list is bookmarked, and I'm putting this band in priority.

November 20th 2010

Thanks. Another unexpected comment. I think you may like them as they're quite progressive-oriented.

November 20th 2010

Nice review! It sounds like this could be pretty cool, so I'll take a listen.

November 20th 2010

Cool! Let me know what you think.

November 20th 2010

Alright, so far it sounds very old school which was surprising, but I definitely like it! I agree about the great vocals, sometimes crushing riffs, and progressive tendencies you mentioned.

November 20th 2010

I agree it's quite old-school. Check out their previous album 13 as well. It's definitely more
accessible and it's one of my favorite stoner releases ever.

Will do.

November 23rd 2010

Wow. New rating from pizza. That's something! Glad you agree, dude.

SteelErectedb4you8er
November 25th 2010

Good to see people paying attention to this. You know, I haven't heard this one yet, but like you said, 13 is hard to beat. And I even love Further a lot too. These guys do put on a killer show. Good review, Greg!

November 25th 2010

Thanks a bunch, man. You should give this album a spin like right now. I'm sure you will like it.

November 25th 2010

Album is like 13, better and better with every new listening.

November 26th 2010

Ok. Here's another 4 from me, guys. The Immortal and Six Years Trainwreck are the tits.

November 27th 2010

It's not easy to choose which ones are my favorites as the album is really stellar. I'll go with Six
Year Trainwreck, The Eyes Of The Vulture and From Below.

February 17th 2011

Rules
Bumped
Only 4 votes
Too bad

February 17th 2011

Yeah. Stoner metal doesn't get enough love on sputnik. I've seen this album on many top 10 lists posted by websites dealing with metal music.

April 4th 2011

Bumping this because I figured some people might wanna check this out.

BigHans