Rings of Saturn
Embryonic Anomaly

good

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
November 16th, 2010 | 224 replies | 21,432 views

Review Summary: wha... what just happened. Why are my ears bleeding?

No words can describe just how insane Rings of Saturn is. They seem to toy with technical/brutal death metal, yet also show progressive tendencies, metalcore breakdowns, psychedelic moments, doom moments, ambient moments, and a crapload of power-metal influenced synthesizers. The music they play is like a bat out of hell, with unhinged guitar riffs maneuvering in mind-numbing disarray, while the drummer bashes blastbeats that perfectly match the humanely impossible riffs. To top it all off, at the same time as the technical riffs and blastbeats are overwhelming the baffled listener, quirky synthesizers blast away with a sound that could only be described as a video gamer’s hell. Munching on shrooms while listening to this album is highly cautioned against.

Surprisingly, the album has great production qualities – this turns out to be the redeeming factor of the album. True, the guitars sound like garbage, but this is expected from technical death metal bands. The first time I heard the drum set, my immediate thought was that it sounded like a drum machine – I was wrong. Apparently the drums were recorded so perfectly that they sound fake. Even the guitars and synthesizers (during their shameless showing off), are crystal clear! For better or for worse, every single played note is clearly audible.

In the end, you have to wonder why anyone would want to listen to this. It is like seeing Oompa-Loompas for the first time, you have no idea what they are, but you do know that you hate them. After listening to any of the tracks on this album, you will always be left with the thought, “What just happened.” You may not necessarily like the music, but the album is still good if only because of the impressive talents of the musicians.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass
Gemini Syndrome LuxSirenia Perils of the Deep Blue
Rainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2Part Myth Part Legend Almagest Codex
3.2
good
Subrick (1)
A miserable piece of work from start to finish....

Dingir

Hyperion1001
November 16th 2010

Album artwork is pretty sweet, but idk, sounds like a wankfest.

Digging: Autechre - Draft 7.30

November 16th 2010

Heh, that's exactly what it is.

Jethro42
November 16th 2010

ugh...Just listened to it 10 secs. It's safe to say there's not much room to let the music breathe in there.

November 16th 2010

Yeah, that's a good way to describe it.

AngelofDeath
November 16th 2010

Album art looks like it's made for UV lamps or something lol. Nice review mate. Might pass on this one.

November 16th 2010

All those neon colors drive me insane.

November 16th 2010

I FUCKING LOVE THIS. But I love wank so you all will hate it.

I sorta like it.

Hyperion1001
November 16th 2010

Lol, sounds like Dragonforce meets Brain Drill.

November 17th 2010

I'm going to make a death metal band named Dragondrill now, it's genius.

ianjulian

Dragondrill!
Go in for the kill
Slaying dragons even though they aren't real [12x]

Dragondrill! [30x]

First song written album is due out in a few weeks.

November 17th 2010

I really loved reading this, and the length was perfect. Sorry that it took me so long to get here dude, I just can't keep up with sputnik as of recent :P Pos.

burningbeard
November 18th 2010

'It is like seeing Oompa-Loompas for the first time, you have no idea what they are, but you do know that you hate them.'

hehehe, pos'd for that line alone.

ikarus
November 18th 2010

shit sounds like Buckethead's computer noises with blast beats and gutterals added

Sinthus
January 20th 2011

this shit's great. spastic, insane, yet perfectly executed. the sweeps make me sick. everything about this band is great. only if you like some intense in-your-face tech death brutality...

pillowswantyoursoul
January 24th 2011

This is some awful sit right here.

OceanOfWisdom
February 9th 2011

I've grown to love this band, discovered them around the time this album released - And I heavily disagree with everyone's statements about this album being a "Wankfest"....BRAINDRILL is a wankfest, VIRAEMIA is a wankfest, MONUMENTAL TORMENT is a wankfest...and it still doesnt make them any less talented than other artists just because they prefer to shred more than 50% of every song...It just doesnt appeal to your tastes. Rings Of Saturn (at the very least) have parts that slow down and become intelligible...

I always get a big kick out of hearing people talk about guitar tone when they obviously dont know all that much about it to begin with. If you do in fact think the guitar sounds like shit, then take some time to look into a device called a harmonizer - It puts his automatic harmonies above the 27th Fret, so technically they're impossible to actually play. Which may account for that inhuman/almost fake sound.

Then again - I must admit that I am biased on my opinions of this band - I play bass for them hahahahah XD