Time and a Word

good

by Matthijs van der Lee USER (219 Reviews)
November 15th, 2010 | 27 replies | 7,971 views

Release Date: 1970 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A transition to much greater things to come.

Before they broke out with The Yes Album, Yes recorded two albums that aren’t particularly remembered as great achievements. Their self-titled debut was however quite good, and very interesting in hindsight of what they’ve gone to achieve later. Not exactly the same can be said about Time and a Word. While Yes’ second effort is decent, it is more of a transitional record, not all that strong on its own. The formation of Anderson/Banks/Squire/Kaye/Bruford of the group’s debut stayed intact, though Banks was fired shortly before this album was released, to be replaced by none other than definitive Yes guitarist Steve Howe.

The album's most distinct feature is that it includes fairly dominant string arrangement in many songs. Unfortunately, this did not mesh too well with the band’s developing style, and in effect was left behind them quickly after this record. The tracks here aren’t quite as memorable as those on its predecessor, but some minor highlights can be found in the organ-driven songs, most notably Astral Traveller. The main problem remains that while the songs in themselves aren’t bad, they don’t contain a lot of energy and can be a slight bore, lacking a daring edge that could be found in the melting of rock and jazz on the debut.

As it is, Time and a Word is good, but remains mostly forgettable, containing none of the things that made Yes such an powerful group at their peak. They did however build to this peak after this album, finding out what they really wanted and exploiting it in grandiose progressive epics. Time and a Word will be interesting only for the more collective of Yes fans.

Time and a Word’s Yes was:

Genesis AbacabGenesis Duke
3.3

That makes this covered.

November 15th 2010

i wish i could write as gd as you

November 15th 2010

It's nothing extraordinary, practice is the key.

November 15th 2010

yea true but every time i try to write i cant help but stop and jam to rush its so fucking hard for me

BigHans
November 15th 2010

Nag has a good style, straight to the point. Pretty much the opposite of me.

November 15th 2010

I learned to write to the point since that's the best way to go with these discogs.

12059 Comments

Damn, I didn't know Peter Banks was fired. I own his first solo album, released in 1973. John Wetton and Phil collins have been assuring the rhythm section. Awesome stuff:
Review is excellent, I only disagree that you've given a lower rate for this one. It contains slightly more enjoyable songs than their first one imo.

November 15th 2010

It seems I like the debut better and you like this better.

12059 Comments

Nag has a good style, straight to the point. Pretty much the opposite of me.

haha pretty much. But you are truly a good writer Hans, nonetheless. I'm not bad myself, mostly when I write in French =P

12059 Comments

It seems I like the debut better and you like this better

It seems, yes. Probably like you, I am not inclined to listen to neither one nor the other too often.

November 15th 2010

The Yes Album up to Relayer is so much better, it logically decreases the interest for the first two albums.

12059 Comments

You're absolutely right. Rick Wakeman and Steve Howe were so much welcome to join the fold.
edit: Wakeman joined for Fragile, needless to say.

AngelofDeath

Great review Nag.

porch

decent album

ubermensch518
November 15th 2010

i some how missed this in my collecting of yes...nice little review, you've inspired me to aquire this album

EVedder27

Nag'd.

Digging: Stevie Wonder - Innervisions

Edwin
November 16th 2010

Top review, slowly starting to delve into this band.

wrax
November 17th 2010

This is one of the albums which sounds of its time. It sounds like it's post-hippy, early 70s London and flower kaftans in the rucksack. The albums to come (The Yes Album, Fragile, CTTE, TFPO and Relayer) are timeless and ageless. They could have been recorded last week. Time And A Word has some great moments - Astral Traveller (never thought I'd see that one played live and did in 2008!) and The Prophet. The best however was yet to come.