Maserati
Pyramid of the Sun

by Eli EMERITUS
November 12th, 2010 | 14 replies

Review Summary: Although it is an album born from tragedy, Pyramid of the Sun is easily one of this years most wholly intriguing releases.

After the tragic death of their second drummer, Jerry Fuchs, instrumental rock outfit Maserati, entered the studio to honor their deceased friend and fellow band mate. Extra time and attention was paid to their latest release, Pyramid of the Sun, and it truly shows, as the band has put out one of this years most intriguing albums, encompassing a myriad of sounds and influences, making not only for a wonderful epitaph, but a purely fascinating record.

What makes Pyramid of the Sun so downright great is its incredible sense of freshness and originality. While vocals are not to be found on the album, it’s difficult to describe Maserati as post-rock, instead, the band sounds like a convergence of instrumental rock, psychedelic, and electronica. Often times, this odd concoction is a hell of a lot of fun, with everything sounding so spacey yet so contained. This is further bolstered by a really interesting atmosphere.

Yet for all of its spacey and airy ambiance, Pyramid of the Sun is pretty damn funky. The bass is utilized fairly heavily, and the drums are a driving force that keeps the entire affair on track. This album features Fuchs last recordings, and while he probably won’t be remembered as a percussion virtuoso, his keen sense of the mood of the music is rather impressive. It’s safe to say the wonderful pace of the album is due to his playing, and each track receives an indelible amount of assistance because of this. Yet the guitarists as well should be accredited to the album’s success, as they do some really interesting things with sound and texture, and keep the funky and psychedelic feeling pervasive throughout. All of this is shined to brilliant sheen with some rather impressive production and engineering. Added to that, there is some great electronica overtones that add just a little bit of character to an album that is already brimming with personality.

But for all that Pyramid of the Sun does right, it is not without its flaws. Some selections find the band dragging their feet a bit, meandering about as some sections seemingly go nowhere. While I appreciate that as an instrumental band, Maserati refrain from falling into the tired formula of “build up, the climax,” songs like “Ruins” would have been much more interesting with a few dynamic changes. And while this is a minor complaint, it happens quite often, and as a whole, the album loses consistency.

Regardless of its missteps, Pyramid of the Sun is an incredibly enjoyable album. It’s a fun, exciting, and refreshing album that offers up a lot of intrigue, with enough here to please a wide range of people. With a great instrumental rock sound, and a smooth psychedelic veneer, Pyramid of the Sun is wholly original, and easily one of the coolest albums this year.

Fell Voices Regnum SaturniHammock Oblivion Hymns
Tyler (4.5)
Jerry Fuchs couldn't have asked for a better epitaph....

trending alt & indie albums

To Be Kind

El Pintor

Hope

Lowborn

November 12th 2010

Preposterously short and quick write up of an album that deserves some attention.

Digging: Grouper - Ruins

November 12th 2010

5 paragraphs isn't preposterously short...i've gotten lazy/more concise to the point that this length is my norm

Digging: Alt-J - This Is All Yours

Jethro42
November 12th 2010

I missed many of your reviews including your 50th, Xeno. You write faster than I can read :/

Great review, Pos'd

Digging: Lantlos - .neon

mmfarva
November 12th 2010

I love this album quite a bit, gave it a 9/10 on my review. Good review, much more concise than mine.

November 12th 2010

"u should take up all 4 of the feature spots"
....Can't tell if you are patronizing me or not : (

Btw, thanks guys

November 12th 2010

Don't take him too seriously - he means well (I think).

Yeah I'm not haha

November 12th 2010

im threatened by your reviewing ability neg'd

Josh D.
November 12th 2010

I like Passages, so I will have to get this. I didn't know they had another album coming.

RagingApples
February 9th 2011

im sorry, but if you appreciated what they were doing before this, and even if you liked passages, this album is terrible. i loved passages, love inventions of the new season.

This album has a bunch of lame synth presets mixed up with their dance rock groove. it doesnt work for me. it seems like their trying too hard to incorporate electronic elements.

Chumley
April 14th 2011

I think they deserve props for combining Dance-punk and post-rock; I haven't heard anyone else do that. Tasty bass on this record.

Dunpeal