Puressence
Don't Forget to Remember

by SowingSeason STAFF
November 11th, 2010 | 9 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A genre-defying jewel that is atmospheric and readily accessible.

The best music often transports us from our current location. At least from an emotional or imaginative standpoint, it takes an immense atmosphere or something deeply personal to alter our psyche. This feat can be accomplished in a variety of ways, but any band would be hard pressed to do it in as many ways as Puressence does on their fourth LP, Don’t Forget to Remember.

With Don’t Forget to Remember, Puressence has not just transported the listener…they have created their own separate world. Here, romance saturates the air that you breathe. The clinks and clanks you hear on the street unite to form a dynamic orchestra that escorts you to your destination. Everything is interconnected, like a utopian society where the beauty of life and all of its perfections and imperfections are expressed through music. In this world, you can close your eyes and actually see more. You can live in the music as it flows through your very essence. Don’t Forget to Remember transcends boundaries and makes you touch, taste, and breathe everything that you hear… Mudriczki’s stunningly smooth voice acts as a gentle caress on your skin, the decidedly progressive guitars and drumming is sweeter than chocolate, and the overall atmosphere is like a breath of cool air that fills your lungs.

Don’t Forget to Remember offers multiple layers of jaw dropping sound quality that help to reinforce the album’s unbelievably engaging aura. The band takes influences from the likes of U2, Keane, and Radiohead...but at the same time they are completely distinguishable from all three. The songs are definitely rock-oriented, with an emphasis on Mudriczki’s lustrous vocals and the prevalent guitar/bass interplay. When they take more of a straightforward radio-friendly approach, they qualify as brit-pop or british rock. When they experiment with various effects and compose a tangible atmosphere, the music takes an edgier alternative direction. Don’t Forget to Remember is a brilliant mix of Pursessence’s original traits and both classical and contemporary influences. One can’t easily classify Puressence’s music on this album, because it is so expansive and all-encompassing. The results reap at least a portion of each style’s benefits, as the record possesses catchiness, artistic swagger, and mind-stimulating ambiance.

This all-inclusive sound is an escape from reality that will never let you down. Don’t Forget to Remember is experimental, uplifting, scenic, and entirely accessible. It is like flying high up into the clouds and looking down on the world below…let Puressence take you on their wings and soar through a sonic stratosphere full of peaks and valleys in tempo, varying landscapes of genre and influence, and most importantly, beautiful music that you can feel every bit as much as the wind blowing through your hair.

Damien Rice My Favourite Faded FantasyTaylor Swift 1989
Zella Day Zella DayAndrew McMahon in the Wilderness Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness
Titus Andronicus The MonitorTigers on Trains Antarctica In Color
4.3

Irving
November 12th 2010

You are my jewel, Sowing.

Great review. Pos. I'd comment more, but have an exam tomorrow - nuff said.

Digging: Portishead - Dummy

November 12th 2010

lol thanks irving? that's not creepy at all...

but seriously, appreciate it as always. and this album is thoroughly enjoyable in just about everyway (see review)

Digging: Damien Rice - My Favourite Faded Fantasy

cvlts
November 12th 2010

i think u got a fan, sowing.

Irving
November 12th 2010

I was joking, obviously. I blame it on pre-exam stress. That said, I really like how adjective + simile + metaphor-driven this review is. If there's one department that I'm seriously lacking on, it is the ability to conjure concrete images from abstract ideas. It's something I've see you do lots, and am hoping to be able to learn to do someday.

And This Life, if you think that was fanboy/girl-ish, you've got lots to learn kiddo. For one, you should see the 50-foot statue of Sowing I've got constructed in my backyard.

November 12th 2010

This feat can be accomplished in a variety of ways – but any band...

I think a comma works better there than a hyphen, but yeah, great review as per usual SS. Pos'd.

November 12th 2010

yeah i think you are right gyro - that hyphen is completely unnecessary and should be replaced by a comma.

you should see the 50-foot statue of Sowing I've got constructed in my backyard

can i be holding a pen/paper and stroking my beard as if i'm in deep thought? i think it would make me look a lot smarter...yeah, thanks...if it isn't too late to change it.

Slum
November 12th 2010

Really good review, Sowing. Very descriptive, love albums like these. Will check it out. posity for you

November 12th 2010

this is a few years old so i don't think there are active album streams any longer, but this is one of the songs that got me into them if you want a taste of the album:

December 8th 2010