The Aquabats
Radio Down!

by Mr. Lean Mug USER (110 Reviews)
November 10th, 2010 | 26 replies | 7,399 views

Review Summary: The soundtrack to twenty thousand-ish Aquacadets ejaculating.

The Aquabats appear to have lost their minds. Oh, wait, that’s old news. Ok, for the sake of argument, if they still had minds to lose, Radio Down! would be the judge’s gavel pounding resulting in the group being carted off in candy and rainbow coated straight jackets to the sanitarium. Continuing down their synth-pop yellow brick road of recent years, Radio Down! is everything you’d expect from the Aquabats: catchy and smile-inducingly charming.

The EP is half Blondie, half Billy Idol, the latter garnering a prominent nod in their upcoming full-length’s first single, the track this release shares it's name with. Featuring rapper, various-media-personality, and sometimes funny man Biz Markie, “Radio Down!” is the new-age new wave anthem for any teenager trying to forcibly remove an adult’s hand from the volume dial. It’s on “Best Day of My Life!” that the ‘bats start to test the limits of how much synth their listener wants in their ska. At times, this track’s sound seems just a little too forced, something even the feel-good-song-of-the-year lyrics can’t quite salvage.

Radio Down! just comes across as a tad too overproduced and artificial for it’s own good. Christian “MC Bat Commander” Jacobs’ snarky vocal delivery manages to retain the flair of the Aquabats of old, but where are the jingly-jangly guitars? The bumpin’ bass? Hell, I barely even remember the drums and I’m listening to this as I write. The cheesiness of it all (including the album art) is sure to appeal to the most die-hard of fans, but will probably act as a turn off for anyone expecting to hear the sounds of a bratty, old-fashioned ska act. This is hardly a bad indication of things to come on the band’s next full-length due out next year, but one would hope they find a better mix of old and new in their sound lest they become just another pop band using a synthesizer.

Fucked Up Year of the DragonRome Fortune Beautiful Pimp II
Maxo Kream QuiccstrikesSelf Defense Family Try Me
FatKidsBrotha Eastside Paradise IIMeyhem Lauren and Icerocks Raw Cashmere
2.3

November 10th 2010

stream. album art refuses to cooperate. i'll try to fix that or i'll go whine to the mods about it eventually

Digging: Fucked Up - Year of the Dragon

November 10th 2010

well i've always lurked here, that's never gonna change. as for why i'm contributing again, idk really. boredom i guess.

also i think it would be hilarious to get my emeritus tag and lord over nubz from my onyx throne on high

November 10th 2010

they lost me at charge... shame because fury and floating eye are the shit

Digging: Sad Lovers and Giants - Feeding the Flame

WatchItExplode
November 10th 2010

band is good in small doses...review is a small dose of goodness

Phideaux
November 10th 2010

Good review. Saw these guys last night and it was awesome. They're tons of fun live. They played radio down, which I thought was pretty good. Gonna have to listen to the stream I guess.

astrel

This EP made me *frown face*

November 10th 2010

yeah theyre a good live band

and i thought this was good, obviously, just not the direction they should be taking

so uh the summary um

anyone c wht i did thar

anyone? : (

MassiveAttack

I did not sir, explain.

*sigh*

it's cuz this psyfgt is never around anymore.

November 10th 2010

if this site was a pei wei he'd never leave. but alas, he's pretty much gone. good for him

November 10th 2010

he got out, and i'm getting back in

lord what is WRONG with me

November 10th 2010

i just cave every time. resistance is fucking futile.

Irving

Fun read. Pos.

Digging: Pixies - Indie Cindy

great review. EP is terrible . I hope the album isnt like this or I will cry

sniper
November 11th 2010

I used to love the fuck out of this band. Haven't listened to them in years though.

November 11th 2010

don't listen to this then it will just make you cringe

sniper
November 11th 2010

:c I won't. I love everything up to and including Charge but I lost track of them after that, although I don't think they released anything noteworthy since then anyway.

November 11th 2010

same here. i think they've just had a couple songs since Charge, or at least one. if you haven't seen them live then you should still see them though, they put on a great show and it's always fun

Douglas