Cough
Ritual Abuse

by Tim Verhoeff USER (19 Reviews)
November 10th, 2010 | 52 replies | 10,820 views

Review Summary: Fuzzy Doom to a slow rescue!

Just when you thought Relapse couldn’t produce another quality record they hit you with the new record by Cough, aptly titled Ritual Abuse. I guess all these guys have in Richmond is weed and Sabbath, but if that means records like these, that’s fine by me.

Cough are a doom band that mixes the best of bands like Electric Wizard, Black Sabbath and The Atlas Moth to create the sludge-fest that is their second album, and their first on Relapse called Ritual Abuse. 53 minutes of slow, nihilistic, feedback filled doom crammed into 5 songs.

This means that Ritual Abuse is filled with slow tempo’s, feedback, ‘simple’ Sabbath-style riffing, drones and a suffocating atmosphere which would create a great soundtrack for a satanic mass. Does this mean that there is no melody in these songs? Hell no, but there is just enough melody to say there is a psychedelic hint on this doom record. This mostly shines through in the feedback and wah-wah filled solo’s that creep in every now and then.

For a doom record this has a very ‘clear’ production. Sanford Parker (Minsk, The High Confessions, Circle of Animals) is responsible for that. Even though this record has distorted bass, fuzzy down-tuned guitars, lots of feedback and even a synthesizer part on one of the songs, all the instruments are present and audible in the mix. It doesn’t sound like a blurry wall of sound. One of the strong points, next to the production, on Ritual Abuse are the vocals. They sound like a younger less powerful version of Ozzy half of the time, but the other half of the record they change to a black metal type scream that really fits the sober and nihilistic mood set by most of the songs.

I haven’t heard Cough’s first record, but if it sounds anything like Ritual Abuse it’s a must have for any doom fan. So if you like Black Sabbath, Electric Wizard, Conan or The Atlas Moth go out and listen to this.

Bruce Lamont Feral Songs for the Epic DeclineMajeure Timespan
Mount Moriah Mount MoriahLesbian Stratospheria Cubensis
Aethenor En Form for BlaKiss the Anus of a Black Cat Hewers of Wood and Drawers of Water

Voivod
November 10th 2010

Short, yet it is informative and very well written.

have a pos.

Is this anywhere near Yob?

Digging: Electric Citizen - Sateen

76TVs
November 10th 2010

It's similar to Yob. So if you like Yob you can check this out.

Hyperion1001
November 10th 2010

Definitely pos'd, i just got Cough's first record, and liked the first listen through.

Digging: Autechre - Draft 7.30

November 10th 2010

Some of the best artwork i;ve seen this year. Good review, I listened to this once. i don't remember anything from it so i'll hear it again.

jingledeath

good shit

Wizard

19206 Comments

Got this coming in the mail and the review made me stoked! Good review.

Digging: Merzbow - Dust of Dreams

Jebull
November 10th 2010

Listening to this now thanks to this awesome review. Sounds great so far. Definitely digging the vocals and the production is very nice. Also, the album art is great.

Cavs
November 11th 2010

Seeing these guys in about a month. Super pumped.

Nice review

November 16th 2010

is this better than Sigillum Luciferi? heard Crippled Wizard (hilarious)

November 16th 2010

acquiring this now i expect to be impressed

76TVs

And... impressed?

November 17th 2010

yea its good

eggsvonsatan
November 21st 2010

I dig, it but the vocals are a big turn-off. Sounds kinda whiney.

jingledeath
November 21st 2010

yup I thought this was better than Sigillum Luciferi

January 8th 2011

I bought this today but I don't really know how I feel about the vocals yet. They're off-putting at this point.

dr2den

really

feav233

albums rules

January 12th 2011

are you fucking kidding me

January 15th 2011

this rules

March 25th 2011

This is about a 4. So fricken slow.