Glee
The Rocky Horror Glee Show

1.5
very poor

by David James Young USER (181 Reviews)
November 9th, 2010 | 82 replies

Review Summary: Let's not do the time warp again...

Given the characters of Glee love their old musicals, it seemed like it was only a matter of time before they got their grubby hands clasped entirely around one of the classics. Bizarrely, however, they went for The Rocky Horror Picture Show – the raunchy, controversial and downright fearless rock opera which couldn't be further from the squeaky-clean imagery the show is best known for. Needless to say, the episode itself, The Rocky Horror Glee Show, was quite possibly the worst episode in the history of the entire show. The music itself, however, took itself to an all new level of bad: The Rocky Horror Glee Show, its musical numbers presented here in EP form, is an exercise in the evils of political correctness, taking everything that made the original production and subsequent film so edgy and innovative and polishing it through its surface.

“Time Warp,” instead of being the bold and showy number that it is within the musical, is watered down and anticlimactic. In addition to being over-sung by most of the cast, splitting up Riff Raff's vocal role between Kurt (Chris Colfer) and Finn (Cory Monteith) is incredibly insulting to Colfer's abilities as well as the character itself. John Stamos has just enough charisma to throw together a passable “Hot Patootie,” but the rest of the cast seem to have no connection to the rest of the numbers – even Jayma Mays, who auditioned to be a part of the show by singing “Touch-a Touch-a Touch-a Touch Me,” doesn't even sound half as sex-starved and desperate as the character of Janet needs to be. By far the worst offender here, however, is “Sweet Transvestite” - arguably Dr. Frank-N-Furter's defining song, it is here turned into a complete cringe. It is left in the hands of Mercedes, played by Amber Riley, who feels the need to over-sing anything that comes within a fifty-metre radius of her vocal cords. Naturally, she completely spoils the song's half-spoken sass with her incessant Aretha-lite howls; but the greatest insult comes in the form of the chorus:

I'm just a sweet transvestite
From sensational Transylvania

Sorry, what? Glee have made changes to songs in the past, but that was only to censor derogatory words like “bitch” or “nigger.” When did “transsexual” become a swear word? What's more, if you're going to “censor” the most memorable part of the chorus, then why perform it at all?

The Rocky Horror Glee Show is a significant misstep for all involved, but one that hopefully show creator Ryan Murphy can recover from as season two unfurls. If anything, it serves as a lesson and a caution – don't mess with the classics, especially if you've got nothing to add to them and you're not even brave enough to perform them as they are.

The Presets PacificaLast Dinosaurs In A Million Years

SCREAMorphine

Good review, I had no idea Glee ruined this to

TheSpirit
November 9th 2010

chan will not be pleased

Digging: Wreodan Heahl - Laecig

November 9th 2010

I have an ironic appreciation for this show. Not this episode, but the rest was pretty fucking bad so it was good.

Cheers, guys.

I'm as big a gleek as the next guy, but I was really unhappy with this episode.

cvlts

ugh glee

ugh rocky horror

November 9th 2010

Let's pray to Grilled Cheesus nothing like this happens again.

SymbolicActs
November 9th 2010

Never really saw a reason to get into this show at all.

November 9th 2010

Let's pray to Grilled Cheesus nothing like this happens again.

Fucking hell, "Papa Can You Hear Me" was probably the creepiest song Glee has ever done.

ugh what is the point in reviewing glee albums

robertsona

why wouldnt you?

Ovrot

D:
You dont change the lyrics in that song.
YOU DONT CHANGE THE LYRICS IN THAT SONG.

I'm gonna go watch the movie again.

November 9th 2010

and yes this episode was awful

November 9th 2010

Grilled Cheesus let me touch Rachel's boob.

ugh what is the point in reviewing glee albums

What's the point in liiiiiiife, maaaaaannnnnnnnn

November 9th 2010

Also we're playing an arrangement of Time Warp for Pit Band at my high school. The trumpet part is so fun. As is the percussion part (although I've only ever done the snare on it).

robertsona
November 9th 2010

time warp is so awesome but the whole "culture" around this movie sort of annoys me so i havent watched it

You should.

Scratch that - you must.

DaveyBoy

20857 Comments

So, do they release an album with each episode or something?

no they release singles

for certain episodes they'll release an ep, like for this one and the madonna episode but otherwise they release compilations

jeremologyy
November 9th 2010

its baffling tyo me that they think that "transexual" should be changed, but they keep "transvestite". neither should be censored but its odd that they think one is more acceptable than th eother.