Bohren & Der Club Of Gore
Dolores

by Alucard125 USER (8 Reviews)
November 9th, 2010 | 13 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Bohren prove once again that they can make misery sound beautiful.

Bohren & Der Club Of Gore are a jazz/ambient band from Germany. Back in 1997, Bohren lost their guitarist and replaced him with a saxophone player. Since this change, each album they release has its own unique sound and style, whilst remaining loyal to their unique blend of music.

'Sunset Mission' was the soundtrack to a city at night - the drug-addled back-alleys, smoke and alcoholics. It mixed deep, flowing jazz with rythmic basslines. 'Black Earth' was the beautiful soundtrack to your imminent suicide - a depressing mix of heavy bass, melancholy sax and slow piano.

The direction taken on 'Dolores' then is a much bigger focus on piano, keys and synth. It can be best described almost as sad elevator music - Simple chords and walking notes over ambient background noise. This is no way intended to sound like a bad thing, the rating should tell you that much. The synth is never over-used or sounding out of place. Although the bass takes a much more supporting role in the music this time, it is used to great effect in creating atmosphere. The saxophone still plays a key role in many of the songs, including 'Unkerich' and 'Still am Tresen'.

The shortest track on the album, 'Karin', is the perfect example of how wonderfully Bohren make such a simple concept sound. The track begins with a few notes from a vibraphone, building in the first couple of seconds until all the instruments come in together to form a beautiful melody. The vibraphone leads all through the track, making it easily one of the happiest sounding tracks on the album.

The album opener, 'Staub', sets up the overall feel of the album in much the same way that 'Midnight Black Earth' did for its respective album - no real tune or melody, just ambience to build up atmosphere for the rest of the album to follow.

The album also contains many new elements to keep the listeners attention. For example, 'Von Schnäbeln' contains no drums or bass, but is simply a blend of piano, organ and synth. The following track, 'Orgelblut' in complete contrast is one of the few songs Bohren have written where the drums and symbols are loud, pounding throughout the track.

In conclusion, 'Dolores' is another wonderful album by Bohren. It retains that wonderful melancholy that defines their style, but whilst 'Sunset Mission' and 'Black Earth' are more to be enjoyed in the right mood - at night, when sad etc - 'Dolores' can be enjoyed at any time. Highly recommended for fans or those looking for a new kind of jazz.

Recommended Tracks -
- Karin
- Schwarze Biene (Black Maja)
- Orgelblut
- Unkerich

InMe The PrideIn Flames Sounds of a Playground Fading
Bohren & Der Club Of Gore BeileidTom Waits Foreign Affairs
Johnny Truant No Tears for the CreaturesDeathstars Night Electric Night

Thane
November 9th 2010

I haven't listened enough to this to rate it, but I really love their other stuff. Going to listen to this more today and rate it. Good review man!

Transient
November 9th 2010

Girlfriend introduced me to this band and they're fucking awesome.

Irving
November 9th 2010

Solid review man. It's short, sweet, non-circumlocutory and to the point. Pos.

Digging: Portishead - Dummy

alachlahol

doom jazz

FadeToBlack

black earth is best

Alucard125
November 9th 2010

Cheers for the feedback guys. Yeah, Black Earth is my favourite too, been hooked on all their stuff for months now.

Digging: Devin Townsend Project - Z2

Urinetrouble

meh

DBlitz
November 9th 2010

haven't heard this one but black earth + sunset mission r gud

Sheeple9000
November 9th 2010

Nice to see a review of this.

Bitchfork

love

Bleekill
November 9th 2010

Nice review. Love this band, I started listening to them when they toured in Europe with Isis.

TheSpirit
November 9th 2010

I've always heard good things about these guys and I listened to a song awhile ago, definitely quality stuff but I need to give them more attention.

Digging: Volahn - Aq Ab Al

Alucard125
April 4th 2013

Having re-read this just now, I can't believe I didn't mention 'Welk'...easily the best track on the album.