The Saddest Landscape/Pianos Become The Teeth
Split

by Eric USER (161 Reviews)
November 7th, 2010 | 53 replies

Review Summary: Really... who could have expected any less?

It’s really fucking tempting to comment on the split at hand while making some sort of remark about screamo in generalities. On one hand, we have The Saddest Landscape who recently returned from a hiatus with a scorching resurgence, awesomeness intact. Pianos Become the Teeth’s Old Pride marked the past year’s intriguing influx of emotional hardcore music with frenzied screams and a certain reverence for the 90’s. It’s all too fitting that they decided to team up with The Saddest Landscape, as the bands, together, sort of personify the interesting progression screamo has taken over the years. For fear of straying into nonsensical, typecasting, territory, I’ll try taking Split for face-value instead of looking too deeply into possibly-apparent aspects. Incidentally, it’s just as impressive this way. Even if Split isn’t some defining crater in screamo history, the two songs are spellbinding examples of passion gone right.

In Pianos Become The Teeth’s case, they bump up the energy a notch, and the effect is so gratifying for me, personally, it’s not even funny. Every time I listen to Old Pride I’m left with a distinct impression of how impressive the soundscapes they create with ambience, with poignant build-ups, but how they tend to fall a tad flat and never quite peak into anything exceptional. They had all this potential that the track on Spit fully realizes, beautifully. That same songwriting skill from Old Pride is readily apparent, as “New Normal” begins from a chaotic, vocal-centric piece with absolutely impeccable drumming. By rule, I hesitate to compare any drummer to the sheer ferocity of Gospel’s Vinny Rosenbloom... but Christ is the percussion on “New Normal” equally captivating and galvanizing. The screams on Old Pride protruded from the atmosphere that PBTT crafted, and the drawn-out style that the singer employs here works well, once again. The only apparent switching-of-the-formula is the catharsis being so evident early on, minus any filler, a direction I’m elated to see the band have taken. Eventually, the track morphs into more melody-laden territory, an apt complement to The Saddest Landscape’s side. Simply put,”New Normal” is the screamo outfit’s best song to date, a 3-minute sign of stupendous quality ahead from the Baltimore young ‘uns.

“Death Becomes Us” calls upon different influences, but The Saddest Landscape assemble an engrossing song as any in their recent discography. The distinctive qualities in the talking/screaming combo are still present, and the song’s varied, frenetic guitar work keeps it lively and upbeat. It may not be as exciting as “New Normal,” but this speaks more to my high expectations of the more veteran screamo troupe.

Split is bright, sunny skies on the horizon. Not to say that the genre has experienced some stagnancy over the years; it’s just thrilling that The Saddest Landscape are collaborating with newcomers Pianos Become the Teeth, and even more exciting that the product is so goddamned fantastic. It might be a little hasty getting that hung up on the quality of two songs, and it’s tough to fairly label the Split anything more than “great” due to the lack of quantity, but it really can’t be said enough how outstanding the quality is that lies underneath this green pond. Ladies and gentlemen, the immediate future of emotional hardcore is in good hands, I assure you.

Mogwai Rave TapesTau Tau Eyelids
Ghost Ship Golden GirlsCrosses EP
Warren Franklin Your Heart Belongs To The MidwestFrightened Rabbit A Frightened Rabbit EP

20587 Comments

ugh hate it when this happens.

not my fault, before people complain.

such a shame because this has really really cool art : (

Digging: Dirty Beaches - Stateless

cvlts
November 7th 2010

this is the first Pianos Become The Teeth songs I've ever listened to.

climactic

19576 Comments

is it just called "split"?

yes, it's called Split.

there's already an entry for it if you check the artist page.

did you like it, Geno?

cvlts
November 7th 2010

its allrite. need to see if it grows on me more before I can rate this. sweet review though bro, pospospos. was actually tossin a couple review ideas for this when they announced it.

20587 Comments

there are some 4 and 4.5's for this ... one from Mappy. I mean I would have to be in love with the 2 songs for that, but yeah this is really impressive for only 2 songs... and thanks man.

skirmzz

20587 Comments

chan it was my first emo review in like the past 5 or 6 don't get mad please darling

November 7th 2010

skramz is a truly awful word

should call it skirmish instead

skirmish is a good word

Only a 3.5? Damn.

Athom
November 7th 2010

skirmish is a good word if you're missing a limb due to trench warfare just like flapper, hooch or
negro. way to date yourself channing

20587 Comments

I mean it's like comparing an appetizer to a full meal. And keep i mind I often give EP's pretty high ratings, but yeah I mean I have only positive things to say about this, but only one song from each band doesn't really compare to, say, LP's I've rated a 4 this year.

flapper hooch negro skirmish

it's like if hemingway got a sputnik account

20587 Comments

I feel a chan's plans coming on...

Lousy with hooch.

November 7th 2010

Oh, it's only two songs? Well wtf.

Athom

i hate hemmingway...

hemingway is awesome

witchxrapist
November 8th 2010

The Saddest Landscape returned and actually got good.

They weren't good previously. :p

And I totally complained about the album art when I submitted this weeks ago. Fucking sputnik.

witchxrapist
November 8th 2010

And I'm pretty sure the split isn't even titled.