PackFM
I F*cking Hate Rappers

by Dante Alighieri USER (85 Reviews)
November 5th, 2010 | 34 replies | 4,797 views

Review Summary: "Anyone who ain't rappers, lets have a show of hands / Cause there's too many emcees, not enough fans"

The rap industry has been brain washed. Being simultaneously one the most hated and loved genre in the biz, rap is one of the definite genres that can boast millions upon millions of mindless fans whose sole purpose is to line the pockets of already rich ‘thugs’. Sure, a rapper from the mainstream is just as capable of making a catchy beat as the indie but when the emphasis is put on sales figures and not talent, ladies and gentlemen, there is where we a problem. No longer is rap considered a genre in today’s society, now it is more akin to entertainment; prime time TV. Out from the sea of cornyass half-witted rappers, New York hip-hop aficionado PackFM comes to the forefront, putting his own cred at stake, and releasing an album packed to the brim with disgust, self-irony, and more inside jokes than the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, ‘I F*cking Hate Rappers’.

In the graphic novel Watchmen, there’s a particular character called the Comedian. While his antics and behavior were far from hilarious, he represented a side of heroism that PackFM emulates. See, the Comedian was stated to have seen the true face of society, and instead of going Rorschach he decided to become a parody of it, a joke. PackFM has seen the true face of modern mainstream rap and has decided for him to make the ultimate album of irony: a joke. ‘I F*cking Hate Rappers’ can be seen as a two-fold album: while Pack states that this album is not a ‘diss album’, with a name like what it is it is hard to not scratch your head on that thought of such a statement. On the other hand, ‘I F*cking Hate Rappers’ is an existential wakeup call to the rappers out there in the world trying to become the next Drake or the next T.I.

‘I F*cking Hate Rappers’ is not just an album, but it’s a story. Starting off with an AA-esque therapy session, ‘The Support Group’, followed by the intertwined self-titled song, basically is a statement of grievances that the rap industry has done. PackFM utilizes the common approach that mainstream rappers use in skits, but instead of carelessly thrown in acts that are likely more on a TV audition then an actual contribution to an album, PackFM takes great care in using all of his skits to accentuate the songs of ‘I F*cking Hate Rappers’. ‘The Kanye Look’ is a gutbuster skit that shows the incredulity that the rap industry has on fashion, whether it’s a lack of a button-up, to tighter jeans, to open-toed Timberlands, PackFM does an outstanding job of bringing irony and awareness in a form so hilarious that it’s easy to miss the whole message of the skit. However, ‘Flux Capacitor’ is the track that solidifies the ideas by a throwback song, heavily drum-snap and bass heavy; it is a plea for the better days of the eighties, when rap was a battle of true talent.

Take Our Place’ starts to show off the collaborations that PackFM has utilized on this album. Featuring yet another bass heavy track, where the beats seem to be made by an actual drum in a live setting, ‘Take Our Place’ is an ode to the spirit of true hip-hop with PackFM and rapper Dominion leading the a attack, “Y’all ain’t rappers / Y’all ain’t MC’s / Not even hip-hop / You serious? B*tch please.” It only further accentuate the irony of the rap game. The skit, ‘Step on My Kicks’, featuring a rap show setting where Pack seems to mistakenly spill his drink on another’s shoes, this leads to a confrontation that perfectly leads to the next song ‘Tough Talk’. This is probably one of the most well played transitions in the album as it becomes apparent that the instigator of the previous skit, Poison Pen, is now the guest star MC on ‘Tough Talk’, a battle rap song ending in Poison wanting to collaborate with Pack which, once again, serves as irony in the rap game.

So it seems a bit self-destructive for PackFM to create an album so hateful and hostile towards the very genre that he falls under. This might be so, yet PackFM’s final two tracks reconcile this fact in his final two tracks of ‘I F*cking Love Everything’ and its ending skit ‘Closure’. However, ‘Closure’ only serves to raise more questions as PackFM once again mocks the industry at the end. So while ‘I F*cking Hate Rappers’ might raise more questions when answers them, it is an album that will make one question what it is they truly love about the rap game. It bring laughs, it brings middle-fingers, it’ll attract the haters, and it’ll attract fans who understand what Pack is rapping about.

“Now these 'Lil-Young-Boyz' thinkin' they the f*ckin' man/ They're the reason fans only gave Lupe a chance / Cause they thought "Kick, Push" was the name of a dance”

Misery Signals Absent LightAll Pigs Must Die Nothing Violates This Nature
Loma Prieta I.V.Expire Pendulum Swings
Aldebaran Embracing the Lightless DepthsTragedy Darker Days Ahead

happy 40th dante.

going on reviewin vacation. peace.

November 5th 2010

Umm, if I usually hate rap, will I like this?

side note: I like GZA and P.O.S., but that's really all I've given a chance.

Digging: Devo - Freedom of Choice

November 5th 2010

yeah fans of POS would like this.

*adds to list*

pos my shit plz ^_^

Inveigh
November 5th 2010

yeah I think most people into the P.O.S./Doomtree brand of hip hop will dig this.

nice review Dante, congrats on 40

I like this a lot, good beats, clever rhymes. My main complaint is the whole "let's bag on other rappers" trend has gotten so overblown, like it's been done to death. It's to the point where it's almost more popular to rip on fake thug rappers than it is to BE a fake thug rapper.

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend

who?

Relinquished

Mike Jones

November 5th 2010

@Inveigh: my exact thoughts. its the only problem i have with this album cause, yeah, it does get a bit redundant.

ComfortablyDumb
November 5th 2010

great review for a great album

Pack kills every track and the beat on "Nasty" is just tooooo muchhh

November 5th 2010

oh whoops, totally broke the cardinal rule of one review on main page. sorry

November 5th 2010

too many good hiphop albums this year.

lobby
November 5th 2010

Nice, this label needs more attention, a great source of quality hip hop.

ShadowRemains

20530 Comments

this sounds great, will get, great review pos'd

Digging: Banks - Goddess

November 5th 2010

sup witchking? yea homie, this be the jam right here.

ShadowRemains

20530 Comments

nm man, been looking into some defeater and other stuff, plus some post-metal, rap, and filthy dm and shit

Idnuf
November 5th 2010

Thanks for reviewing this album, hopefully this brings it more attention. Not enough QN5 love on Sputnik. I think ComfortablyDumb is my only fellow Blue Schooler (QN5 fan) here.

November 5th 2010

yea i jus recently started gettin into these guys stuff and havent had one letdown yet.