Escape the Fate
Escape the Fate

by macLOFFlyn USER (4 Reviews)
October 30th, 2010 | 266 replies | 44,659 views

Review Summary: Escape the Fate deliver a cohesive album this time around, but they are by no means "rewriting rock music as we know it."

Prior to this album's release, the band created quite a hype train for themselves. Bassist Max Green stated that the band was "wiping the slate clean and rewriting rock music as we know it." He also stated that this new album would be "the cure for the modern day music epidemic." This album is not a "cure" by any means. This record is actually part of the infection that keeps this scene in the era of sameness that it is currently trapped in.

On the musicianship side of things, everything is pretty decent. Bass is audible on most tracks (this is most evident on the track Issues), and Brian "Monte" Money provide some interesting riffs and leads on many tracks. The only problem I have with Monte is that he seems like a cheap gimmick in this band. He seems miles above everyone else in the band, and the band uses him to their advantage. It just makes me wonder how long the band will be able to use his riffs before realizing that without him they would not be all that good.

Craig Mabbit has never been the best lyricist, and this album is no exception. Some his lines are actually cringe inducing, where in "City of Sin" he tells an unamed female to shake her "money maker". Rewriting rock music? I think not. This band has some invisible "bad boy" image to live up to and its songs like this that make it seem forced. He sings in "Lost in Darkness" that he cant find his inspiration, and I have no choice but to believe him.

Craig does deserve recognition in one aspect of this album and that is his singing. Craig's voice on this album is better than anything that I have heard him do before. This may be in part due to producer Don Gilmore who did a stellar job with the production on this album. Everything sounds crisp and clear but never overproduced. It finally feels like Craig is confident in his role as the vocalist for ETF and his performance is a lot better than on This War is Ours, where his vocals just sounded awkward.

Escape the Fate have crafted a cohesive album this time around and i applaud them for that, but if you make promises about rewriting rock music, you better deliver. While this record is better than their last, it is certainly nothing to write home about. Screamed verses and sung choruses are littered throughout the album and we have all heard this formula done over and over again. Fans of ETF's previous records will find a lot of enjoyment with this album. For those of you looking for the rewriting of rock music, look elsewhere. This album is nothing more than average and that is not enough to rise above this oversaturated scene.

1.8
poor
P.J. Quinones (2.5)
ETF record #3 calms your conscience from the scare of This War Is Ours, but doesn’t dish out the r...

Sam Cowen (2.5)
Escape The Fate continue to anger old fans and critics alike, by going further away from their origi...

Alexd93 (3)
Definitely their best...thats not saying much though...

CrimsonChin
October 30th 2010

Post a link of a stream or this will be taken down.

October 30th 2010

couple of things before this gets (hypothetically) bushwhacked:

this is well written, and for the most part grammatically correct, but it's pretty drab. like there's nothing really giving the reader a visceral image of the album's sound

i know it's hard to review an album that isn't necessarily bad or good, cause it's just that. it's meh. basically i would try to stay away from such simple descriptions and try to inject a little flair, even some satire. be facetious. use simile and metaphor to get your point across.

also: fourth paragraph, you forgot to capitalize "I"

welcome to the world of sputnik reviewing.

so uh yeah. my gf likes this band so i figure i'll have to listen to this.

Digging: Sir Michael Rocks - Banco

qwe3

band needs to foad

Photon

asap

yeah they do

they really, really, really do.

qwe3
October 30th 2010

hey guys look its the cure for the modern day music epidemic.

"You say Justin Bieber,I say Black Veil Brides

You say Miley Cyrus,I say Bring Me The Horizon

You say Kesha,I say Suicide Silence

You say Eminem,I say Escape The Fate

You say Kanye West,I say Bullet 4 My Valentine

You say Jonas Brother,I say The Black Dahlia Murder 92% of teens have turned to pop and hip-hop.If you are part of the 8% that still listens to real music, copy this message to 5 other videos DONT LET ROCK N ROLL DIE/METAL Thumbs up if you agree!"

highest rated comment on that vid.

my eyes, they bleed.

and rock n' roll, she weeps.

You say Justin Bieber,I say Black Veil Brides
Bit of irony there

October 30th 2010

On a side note, the solo on "The Aftermath" was pretty awesome.

EasternLight
October 30th 2010

idk i probably wont listen

SCREAMorphine
October 30th 2010

didn't even realise this was out.

it's not.

wow

BDM seems out of place

Comatorium.
October 30th 2010

Yehhh uhhh... just downloaded this out of pure curiosity. I liked the ep and dying is your latest fashion, and this war is ours was ok... but im not sure bout this one. i can say it probably doesnt deserve a 1.

tapitforever
October 30th 2010

this band is snowballing further and further into shitty-music oblivion with every release.

Comatorium.
October 30th 2010

though i did see them live with craig and it was cool as shit not gonna lie. wayyy back with a skylit drive, alesana, silverstein, and craig chiodos. woww goddam thats a gay tour...

tapitforever
October 30th 2010

i went to one of those dates too....wasn't terrible but silverstein killed it compared to them