The Dear Hunter
Branches

by Eli EMERITUS
October 29th, 2010 | 26 replies

As a fairly rabid fan of The Dear Hunter, every little announcement gets me fairly excited. Whether it be the announcement of an ambitious set of EP’s, each representing its own color, or the announcement of a new addition to their “Acts” series, when The Dear Hunter speak, I listen. This leads me to the declaration of their newest work, “The Branches EP.” Said EP had little to no buildup to its release, as it was merely a minor extra the band threw in for those who ordered their “Lifetime Fan Package.” And really, that’s what the EP boils down to, an affair strictly for the fans.

At three songs in length, “The Branches EP” is short, but sweet. A morsel, rather than an actual feast, the EP is merely a few songs from the band, plain and simple. But for fans, any little release is still something to celebrate, and “The Branches EP” really doesn’t disappoint. And how could it? With such a low key release, the EP was destined for obscurity, finding its way to the very few who would acquire it. With absolutely no hype to back it, the release needs not be an ideal one, but rather, a small celebration of a band at the height of their careers.

Yet when I say this is strictly for the fans, I say that wholeheartedly. As far as The Dear Hunter releases go, “The Branches EP” is fairly tame. The epically bombastic passages mixed with cool jazz and extravagant swing simply are not here. Instead, the EP features the more alternative rock side of the band, with lower key songs, and a slightly more simplistic song structure. And this is really the EP’s biggest failing. As far as releases go, “The Branches EP” is the least representative piece the band has put out. The songs are great, albeit not as catchy, and they are easily listenable and enjoyable.

However, “B. Linus” offers up an incredibly strong listen, as it is the most catchy on the EP. Per the usual, Casey Crescenzo does an awesome job in the vocal department. With a lot of variation, Crescenzo can get the highs and lows, and the louds and softs with absolute finesse, an the opening track is very representative of this. The next track, “Isabella,” opens up in a more minimalist fashion, featuring a subdued guitar and airy croon. In typical Dear Hunter fashion, this lasts only for a bit, leading into a much more grandiose section. More post-hardcore in its execution, “Isabelle” is a little more different from its predecessor. The third and final song, “Owls,” is a little quirkier than the other two, but is ultimately the weakest. It offers some neat percussion work, with small hits of a xylophone interlaced with the guitars, but is incredibly flat as a whole. It stays at the same tempo and dynamic level throughout, and doesn’t really go anywhere. Regardless, it is still an interesting track, yet it falls short of anything else the band has done.

“The Branches EP” is a nifty release, as it is fun and wholly enjoyable, but harmless nonetheless. While it is a nice love letter to the fans, as an individual release, it simply does not match the success of their previous releases.

Fell Voices Regnum SaturniHammock Oblivion Hymns

October 29th 2010

Lurv me some Dear Hunter. Couldn't think of a summary.

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

Josh D.

Didn't know about this.

JustJoe
October 29th 2010

You are a review machine, Xenophanes. Machine.

October 29th 2010

Solid review, Elijah, definitely worthy of a pos. Also, I applaud you for using the word 'nifty' in your review =P

Digging: Lantlos - .neon

October 29th 2010

Haha, thanks Gyro. Yeah, believe it or not I actually though long and hard on it. I was curious as to how 'nifty' would be received haha

JubJub12

TREOS> TDH

er, no

October 29th 2010

woo underground sputniker review, i'm a sputnik user hipster bitches

pos

Digging: Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright in the End

October 29th 2010

Thanks. I wasn't really going for an "underground sputniker" thing, I just love this band. You heard anything from them?

October 29th 2010

low key sputnikers are like... the fucking amazingest, pos

Thanks Fox!

October 29th 2010

It offers some neat percussion work, with small hits of a "xylophone"

I hope you understand what you must do.

..... : (....no

October 29th 2010

when this review gets bumped off the front page change the word xylophone with xenophanes. it is clever and slightly funny, or at least i think things like that are but idk

crazyblinddude
October 29th 2010

Oh cool. Someone wrote a review for this. Nice job. This is a nice little release from these guys.

October 29th 2010

....omg that's brilliant....I must do that.

botb
October 30th 2010

holy shit why did i not know about this

October 30th 2010

Cause only like, 250 were released.

Oceanus
October 30th 2010

B. Linus is certainly my favorite.

October 30th 2010

Yeah, it's actually a great song in general, not just great for the EP.