Weezer
Death to False Metal

by CasualListen USER (13 Reviews)
October 27th, 2010 | 96 replies

Review Summary: Another good effort by Weezer

It’s no understatement that Weezer is on the upswing of their career. After a rickety three album mid-life music slump, the band managed to blow a fraction of hope into the stopped lungs of estranged fans with their 8th studio album “Hurley.” Now, Weezer is back with “Death to False Metal” – A gritty, quirky, melodic and highly entertaining compilation of 10 songs from the band’s cutting-room floor masquerading as an LP. Yes, these are REJECTED songs from the 7 albums prior to “Hurley.”

“Death” is ugly and sad with lyrics that playfully discuss being lonely and dead inside. Every song is completely unpolished and so incredibly odd that they borderline science fiction. At times, at least for the band, the songs are too grim. Imagine if “Raditude’s” single (If You’re Wondering) went to sleep one night and had a nightmare – that nightmare would be the song I’m a Robot from “Death.” Autopilot, the record’s opener, combines a bass-heavy rock rhythm with various keyboards and strange computer tones. In it, Rivers seems to suggest that he examines feces with a microscope in his free time. Losing My Mind is another strong track that, at times, sounds uncannily like a Pink Floyd song. It’s a better version of the song Unspoken from “Hurley.” Nothing on the album could be considered weak. All ten songs will entertain fans listening for something a little darker this Halloween.

If you DO wish to consider this record an LP - and not just a collection of deleted songs from prior years - then “Death to False Metal” is the successor to “Pinkerton.” In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if some of these songs were actually FROM “Pinkerton.” However, with the 2010 re-issue of "Pinkerton" dropping next week, I could be wrong.

Either way, this is the band’s best work.

On the down-side, because the songs are a bit abstract and autonomous, the album won’t feel as memorable. The songs are excellent, but nothing really sounds even remotely similar to the band's first three albums from the 1990s. This album is more akin to Snow Patrol’s “Songs for Polar Bears” or maybe “Sam’s Town” by the Killers. The lyrics, however, certainly resemble the band's older work.

In a weird way, it’s almost like listening to a greatest hits compilation from a band you’ve never heard.

“Death to False Metal” is Weezer’s official come-back record. After such a hideous slump with “Raditude” and the latter halves “Red” and “Make Believe,” this album dares to bring the REAL nightmare to life as its lyrics about pain and self-deprecation truly live up to what we would consider “Old Weezer.”

If records like “Raditude” and “Make Believe” are personas…That is, what Weezer decided to show to the world at that time… Then “Death to False Metal” is how the band really felt. People tend to be very resilient when it comes to honesty. However, all that this band could offer over the last 7 or 8 years was mostly experimental slop. Don’t get me wrong, I personally enjoyed a lot of it. But that whole body of work was what only THEY could relate to. None of it was accessible to us. Even though “Death” is very somber, it leaves a lot open for interpretation. The songs are interesting, multi-layered odes to heartbreak, uncertainty and apathy. It's dark in a good way. Give it a listen.

Linkin Park Living ThingsSnow Patrol Fallen Empires
Taking Back Sunday Taking Back SundayBlink-182 Neighborhoods
Trapt No ApologiesLinkin Park A Thousand Suns
2.9
good
yidnarc (2)
the problem is that it's not very well produced at all! In fact they sound more like home demos than...

ShadowRemains

.......

EasternLight
October 27th 2010

whoa i had no idea this was coming out

thebhoy
October 27th 2010

However, all that this band could offer over the last 7 or 8 years was mostly experimental slop. Don’t get me wrong, I personally enjoyed a lot of it. But that whole body of work was what only THEY could relate to. None of it was accessible to us. Even though “Death” is very somber, it leaves a lot open for interpretation. The songs are interesting, multi-layered odes to heartbreak, uncertainty and apathy – very accessible topics for anyone. The sadness is palpable. Give it a listen.

what

October 27th 2010

ugh weezer again? already?

Digging: Low Roar - 0

ShadowRemains
October 27th 2010

Either way, this is the band’s best work.

i highly doubt that

VicariousIntent
October 27th 2010

I can't believe this is real.

October 27th 2010

Quentin Tarantion once said..."The best parts of movies are their deleted scenes." These songs were rejected from their past albums probably because the band was afraid we wouldn't like them...I kind of wish they kept them! hahaha.

Ire

Deviant.
October 27th 2010

truly live up to what we would consider “Old Weezer.”

Probably because this is a collection of songs that were made years ago and didn't make the cut

Digging: Theo Parrish - American Intelligence

Deviant.
October 27th 2010

This also isn't out yet, unless there's a stream?

October 27th 2010

BTW, the band is OLD...However, I really think fans will enjoy this album. I was really shocked when I heard it because it really did a good job of setting itself apart from their recent crap. It's better than Hurley in my opinion. I can't wait for the new Pinkerton!

SeaAnemone

20970 Comments

To reiterate Keelan, "what?"

How was their recent material in any way accessible or experimental?

Digging: Viet Cong - Viet Cong

americanmusicmachine

WEEZER MOTHERFUCKERZZ!!

RosaParks

Getting this now.

americanmusicmachine
October 27th 2010

IT'S THE BEST ALBUM OF 2010 BY A FUCKING MILE!!

Dwap
October 27th 2010

Is this review a joke? Surely it is

ShyGuy
October 27th 2010

I don't understand how you guys don't understand the last paragraph lol. Their last few albums haven't been accessible because they were so goofy and out there.

... and the albums were also awful

RosaParks
October 27th 2010

I have ultimately decided that this album deserves the perfect rating of 5 out of 5 SeaAnemones

October 27th 2010

no joke i really liked it.

October 27th 2010

ShyGuy gets the paragraph...I should have been more clear, sorry. Raditude, Red and Make Believe were too weird lyrically. This album is weird in sound...but the lyrics are a bit more entertaining because they are grim and that's what I loved so much about Pinkerton.

Pinkerton was emotional inspiring to bands. This may not be inspiring to bands, but it is a sweet experience.