Monogrim/Slow Dreams
1300+ Miles of Sound

by Michael Philp USER (42 Reviews)
October 22nd, 2010 | 39 replies | 5,580 views

Review Summary: When 1300+ reaches its stride, it’s something to be appreciated, and thankfully it reaches it on more then one occasion.

Post-rock is one of the more ambiguous genres out there. Sure, it has its defining characteristics (climaxes anyone?), but even they aren’t always a consistent sign. In fact, in recent times it’s begun to be used as a label for a broad range of experimental music, and that’s where Monogrim and Slow Dreams come in. You won’t find any major climaxes here, or many moments of sweeping grandeur. Instead, 1300+ is mostly a more subdued style of experimental post-rock.

“III” is the shining example of this. As the guitar chords begin to be played more regularly, joined by gentle ambience in the background, it truly is a beautiful thing to behold. And just when you think it should explode into a massive crescendo, it dies. Far from being a bad thing, that kind of restraint endears Monogrim to the listener. That’s just one example of a track succeeding precisely where it should. “Who’s Pickin’ the Banjo” is a surprisingly well crafted piece of folk-music. Its not far off belonging on a Tallest Man on Earth album and its samples are placed perfectly so as not to hinder but to only help.

In terms of the differences between Monogrim and Slow Dreams (since this is a split EP), the former is much more concerned with the post-rock side of things. Slow dreams displays some talent in the area, but branches out far more often. “Curious Communist Cats” for instance, is anything but post-rock. It’s actually closer to straight up rock music, with its peppy drums and quirky guitar playing. Unfortunately there are examples of duds present as well. “Isn’t Anything” is a completely ambient piece that goes nowhere and doesn’t do anything interesting while its there. At one point it even grates, producing a sound that Unfathoms would be proud of.

There’s some wonderful talent on display here though, despite the duds, from the nice combination of piano and powerful tenor vocals in “II”, to the aforementioned rock tendencies that Slow Dreams revels in. Here we have two young but promising artists showing off their chops, and I for one am happy to be experiencing that.

Tom Waits Bad As MeNothing Rhymes With David =
Nothing Rhymes With David Double Negative, All The Way!Jebediah Kosciuszko
Cut Copy ZonoscopeToni Collette and The Finish Beautiful Awkward Pictures

Tis good stuff

Irving
October 23rd 2010

As is your review. Pos to you mate.

Heysatan
October 23rd 2010

this was ok on a first listen. pos'd

October 23rd 2010

It gets better with more listens

Heysatan
October 23rd 2010

yeah it deserves another spin.. what was your fav side?

October 23rd 2010

Hmm, I'd say they're equal. I love II and III, but "Who's Pickin' The Banjo" and "Curious Communist Cats" are just as good.

October 23rd 2010

Thanks for reviewing this brah!

October 23rd 2010

Thanks for reviewing this brah!

October 23rd 2010

Any time man, it was a pleasure to listen.

October 23rd 2010

Again, thanks for taking the time and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Ire
October 23rd 2010

I'm surprised you got to this so early.

Thanks so much for reviewing this. It's also a fantastic review so I'm pleased.

if anybody reads this in the future

Aids
October 23rd 2010

Great review. Still don't know what to rate this.

"producing a sound that Unfathoms would be proud of." Hahah burn

"producing a sound that Unfathoms would be proud of." Hahah burn

Lol, you probably figured out that I'm not such a big fan of him. Though, his split EP with Blasphemartyr wasn't that bad.

October 23rd 2010

Yeah, I like to think that song, even though it didn't tickle your fancy, is more complex and has more going for it than most Unfathoms music hahahaha but it's all good, I don't expect anyone to love all the songs

October 23rd 2010

You'd be right in that, its quite easily better then anything Bitchfork has produced.

JWT155
October 23rd 2010

That's not much to say though...

October 23rd 2010

That's not much to say though...

True

Piglet

Nice avatar JWT

JWT155

Thanks, I feel like I'm flashing everyone now with every post :D

October 23rd 2010

Hahaha just as I feel better about myself jwt155 has to come in and snatch my self confidence away