Senses Fail
The Fire

by Ryan Cleary USER (16 Reviews)
October 19th, 2010 | 39 replies | 9,754 views

Review Summary: Satisfyingly brimming with James Nielsen’s patent self-destructive anguish, The Fire doesn’t break any new ground, nor will it win many new fans, but it proves to be the most consistent Senses Fail release to date.

Often the subject of ridicule for their clichéd lyrics, repetitive themes and oft-shrill vocalist, Senses Fail is guilty only of pursuing a now time-tested avenue of musical expression. Belting out above average post-hardcore filled with alcohol, depression and all the late-adolescent angst one can handle, Senses Fail continues their success with The Fire, an album that fulfills despite featuring only the slightest vestiges of musical progression. Though still stuck in the shadow of Still Searching and its magnificent three track conclusion, The Fire proves to be Senses Fail’s most consistent release, fed by huge choruses, improved overall vocals and another hard-hitting, cathartic effort by Buddy Nielson.

Though lacking in pure vocal talent, James “Buddy” Nielsen and his hysteric voice have been the defining musical facet of Senses Fail since the band’s inception eight years ago, and with the band’s fourth studio release little has changed. After what can only be described as a castrated performance on 2008’s Life Is Not A Waiting Room, Nielsen returns in 2010 with a stronger showing, the largest improvement coming in the delivery of his harsh vocals, as evidenced by the powerful scream sections on opener “The Fire” and “Lifeboats.” Though the songwriting and lyrics largely follow the same archetypes of depression and substance abuse that stem from Nielsen’s personal experience, they feel revitalized this time around, reborn with a new burst of passion and energy. The typically dark, despairing tone of the music has also undergone a makeover, as a sizeable section of The Fire holds, of all things, hope, as if Nielsen finally seems to be emerging from his six-plus years of continual self-annihilation.

Instrumentally, Senses Fail, show little evolution from their previous album, with the same power chords, shrieking guitar leads and chugging drums as prominent as ever. The loss of Heath Saraceno seems to have affected the band little, as the guitar remains exciting and a perfect atmospheric compliment to Nielsen’s voice. A contrast between pop-punk and hardcore influences is definitely present, as tracks like “Safe House” and “Heading West” feature a more upbeat, commercial vibe, while “Lifeboats”, “Irish Eyes” and “Coward” carry a heavier, more belligerent sound.

The real fun in The Fire lies in the huge, catchier-than-Ebola, sing-a-long choruses Senses Fail orchestrate within nearly every track. The title track, “Saint Anthony”, “New Year’s Eve”, “Landslide”, “Nero” and “Irish Eyes” feature some of the catchiest choruses Senses Fail have ever written, making the album easily memorable after just a few listens. Several songs, most notably sure-to-be-underrated closer “Hold On” are worth giving several listens, as they feature slower, ballad-esque elements not typically associated with the band. While failing to be as desperately explosive as “Martini Kiss”, not being the tragic narrative climax that is “The Priest and The Matador”, and lacking the slumber inducing melancholy beauty of “Blackout”, “Hold On” serves as a fitting closer to the album, featuring an uplifting chorus, a rare guitar solo and an exceptional vocal performance.

A steady, well-rounded release that sees Senses Fail settling into a pleasing comfort zone, The Fire doesn’t break any new ground, nor will it win many new fans, but it proves to be the most consistent Senses Fail release to date. With a tad more maturity than and just as much anger as before, Nielsen and company unabashedly flaunt their angst-ridden sound, throw in a pinch of hope, and prove that even when strewn upon the turbulent, critically shelled battlescape of mainstream Post-Hardcore, from the ashes they will rise.

Check Out

A Skylit Drive AdelphiaAiden Knives
Drop Dead, Gorgeous Hot N' HeavyBad Religion Stranger Than Fiction
Intronaut PrehistoricismsSenses Fail Life Is Not A Waiting Room

Album stream here http://www.myspace.com/sensesfail

Took a year away from reviewing, thought this was a fitting way to return. Be merciless with your
criticism.

I know one of the big dogs is going to review this and bump my review into oblivion, but I would
appreciate mad feedback before that happens, I really want to improve my writing.

Mordecai.
October 19th 2010

this is pretty good. no still searching though. agree with your review for the most part. well written too.

RosaParks
October 19th 2010

I thought this was pretty boring.

October 19th 2010

i'm just trying to rack up the goddamn pos's. Idk why, I just have an obsession. And yea its great but its not Still Searching, i can't see it going beyond a four for me.

Mordecai.

yeh k here's a pos

October 19th 2010

you can't really compare the two tbh, LIEY was such a raw album being their LP debut and everything. I think Still Searching is by far their best. This doesn't have same venom or speed as Let It Enfold you, but it sounds a whole lot better.

Niceinvader
October 20th 2010

This album was such a cool surprise for me

20856 Comments

Did you just call me a dog? LOL.

Great to see you back reviewing Ryan. I know you've been around the site anyway, but it's cool to see a review from you again.

And I won't bump you into oblivion for a few days yet. A few circumstances has meant that I didn't get to hear this album as early as I should have.

BrahTheSunGod

CLIP MY ANGEL WIIINGSSS

good album, very solid review. pos'd!

also,
"catchier-than-Ebola"
you definitely just went there

20856 Comments

Just had a read of the review & it seems I will be recycling a few of your thoughts Ryan. Pretty spot on with our opinions, although I probably disagree with you on the extent of the catchiness in the choruses.

October 20th 2010

Good to see one of the divinities commenting my review.

I got real busy with school last year, but now I'm getting senioritis, applying to colleges, and with all the essay writing i was like fuck it i'm going back to sputnik.

Ire

their best album

October 20th 2010

very good review, i was going to cover this but you hit almost all the points i was going to so i won't bother. pos'd

Digging: Maybeshewill - Fair Youth

October 20th 2010

its pretty good but this review is better than the album......oh well. pos'd.

my favorite part of this album was when i was listening to it on myspace and it finished and i changed
it to calling all cars

20856 Comments

I couldn't resist clicking down to 'Can't Be Saved' just for "I'mmmmmm stuck in a coooooooma"

October 20th 2010

haha so true. we're living in the past.

20856 Comments

Ok, the opener is really growing on me now.

October 20th 2010

davey, the openers to senses fails' albums are always awesome. fireworks at dawn was cool, the rapture was cool enough, etc.

tbh the opener of this album is one of the better tracks.

PinkBlackberry

GOTO BED JOHN IT'S LIKE 6 AT YOUR HOUSE

jk ily

October 20th 2010

haha im drunk and i want to talk about music velty. GTFO

jk you're my fav.