Meat Beat Manifesto
Answers Come In Dreams

by Trey Spencer STAFF
October 19th, 2010 | 40 replies

Review Summary: Meat Beat Manifesto’s foray into ambient soundscapes is a largely forgettable experience that lacks the quirky flair of the genre’s top artists.

Meat Beat Manifesto have been releasing quality electronic albums since the late eighties. Over their twenty -year career they have constantly pushed their sound in new directions – from their twitchy beginnings to the pounding dub beats of their last album, they have never stayed in one place for too long. That ever-changing formula has always been a part of this band’s appeal, and it had never hurt their high level of quality – that was until now. Answers Come in Dreams continues Meat Beat Manifesto’s constant push for new ideas, but this time the end result might be a little bit hard for fans to accept.

Regardless of Meat Beat Manifesto’s direction, the one constant has always been the huge beats and thunderous bass, but they’ve finally become a casualty of the band’s constant evolution. The man behind the band, Jack Dangers, has decided to strip the music down to its bare minimum and deliver an album full of chill electronic ambience. Answers Come in Dreams is a dark, sparse album that shares more in common with Aphex Twin’s ambient outputs or Dead Cities-era The Future Sound of London than anything from its own discography. The pounding beats have been reduced to a laid-back pace that would barely even register on a BPM scale, and the punchy bass has been replaced by a deep rolling bottom end that blankets just about everything (The Orb’s Orbus Terrarum is a good reference point). Over that rhythmic foundation is a minimal collection of samples, found sounds, and cyclic synth noises that move in and out of each track with regularity. The problem is that, although well executed, the songs on Answers Come in Dreams lack the flair that is required to make this type of music work.

The big names of the ambient genre are all well-known for their individual styles and quirky nuances that make their albums the interesting pieces that they are, and this album is missing that. Instead of creating any kind of real ambience or atmosphere, Answers Come in Dreams feels like exactly what it is – a collection of digital noises over various beats without any real soul or presence. If The Orb makes you feel like you’re floating through the clouds and The Future Sound of London drag you through auditory landscapes, then Answers Come in Dreams sits you in a dimly lit room to watch paint dry while coming down from a trip… not a lot of fun but not too bad of a time either.

Kenn Nardi Dancing With the PastSick of It All The Last Act of Defiance
Meshuggah I (Special Edition)Cannibal Corpse A Skeletal Domain
Rabbit Junk Pop That Pretty ThirtyAnathema Distant Satellites
good

Eskate87
October 19th 2010

Damn. And I enjoyed Autoimmune and Subliminal Sandwich. Ill probably still give it a spin.

October 19th 2010

I love those albums and would suggest Subliminal Sandwich to anyone interested, but this isn't his best work that's for sure. If you haven't heard Actual Sounds + Voices, I'd reccomend you try that too.

Digging: Kenn Nardi - Dancing With the Past

pizzamachine
October 19th 2010

What a creepy album! I think your rating for it is dead on - it's not good but it's not bad either.

October 19th 2010

If you haven't heard these guys then you should check out their Subliminal Sandwich album.

October 19th 2010

Guess I won't be getting this then

Digging: Hyperdub - Hyperdub 10.4

October 19th 2010

For something similar, but much better, get Dead Cities by The Future Sound of London.

Did you just rec me The Future Sound Of London? You must've missed the memo

October 19th 2010

Ha ha. You know what? I didn't even look at which user posted that last comment. I'm on my iPhone.

Yuppie

I might get this simply for nostalgic purposes, but honestly I wasn't expecting a great deal when I heard this was coming out

October 19th 2010

Ha ha, I love my phone. Anyway, I had high hopes for this because they're always good. Oh well. I'll wait for the comeback album.

Bitchfork

Sucks.

Album soooooooooooooooooooks

Digging: The Birthday Massacre - Superstition

October 19th 2010

Its funny, because Meat Beat has always been a band that I've loved and have rated all their works relatively high but I've always gone into their albums with somewhat low expectations. They've always managed to surprise me but I've kinda been waiting for them to make a wrong move

October 19th 2010

You should still give this a go man.

Bitchfork

the wait is over

Nikkolae
October 20th 2010

was i the only one who read this as "Beat My Meat Mannifesto"?????

Digging: Giant - Song

MassiveAttack

harhar =)

Nikkolae

lol

October 20th 2010

I don't know, but you always have nice avatars.

October 20th 2010

Typical, all breasts and no brains...