Boards of Canada
The Campfire Headphase

good

by sudonym USER (2 Reviews)
October 17th, 2010 | 24 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Boards of Canada, without the signature atmosphere.

Let me just start by saying that Boards of Canada is one of my all time favorite electronica bands. My Spanish 2 teacher lent me her copy of Geogaddi, which first got me interested. I then purchased a copy of Music Has The Right To Children, which solidified BoC as my favorite band at that time. A while later, my friend lent me his copy of The Campfire Headphase. Try as I could, I failed to connect with the album.

The record starts off with "Into The Rainbow Vein," an intro track similar in length to "Wildlife Analysis" and "Ready Lets Go" of Music Has The Right To Children and Geogaddi, respectively. The eleven songs that followed this intro got a satisfied nod from me. The non-filler tracks were good, and the introduction of live instruments was a cool, creative step for the band. I was kind of neutral towards the interludes; they were not bad, they just weren't very interesting.

What really disappointed me was the absence of the evocative, dreamlike quality that made BoC so intriguing. So far, the mood of the album had been light and happy. Then "Slow This Bird Down" started playing. Right from the beginning, I thought, "Now this is what I'm talking about." It had that ethereal mood that originally made the band's music so compelling.

The album closed with "Farewell Fire," a track that had me wondering what was going on about four minutes in. I skipped through the rest of the song, hoping to hear something stand out, but nothing did. It seemed as if Sandison and Eoin had managed to take one of their interludes (normally about a minute to two minutes long) and stretch it out in an eight and a half minute song. Beautiful though it may have been, it only added to my disinterest.

All in all, The Campfire Headphase is a good album. The music is very well done, and the addition of new instruments to the bands repertoire shows that they are still as experimental as ever. However, the overall mood and somewhat boring interludes don't quite do it for me like the previous albums. 3/5.

boomerwrangle (5)
“We were picturing this character losing his mind at the campfire and compressing weeks of events ...

dvs (5)

October 17th 2010

Sorry this is a little short, it's my first review. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

joshuatree
October 17th 2010

I don't know, this is pretty much their best imo. Solid first review though, the length is fine

astralprojector
October 17th 2010

short review but for what is there it is a solid review.

October 17th 2010

This is my favorite by them.

ConsiderPhlebas

I much prefer Music... and Geogaddi but this still rules

October 17th 2010

Austin... the fuck? a 5 for this? I mean, I like it too, but it's not THAT good.

Digging: Lantlos - .neon

October 17th 2010

This is either my favorite or second favorite non-Basinski release I have no idea how you don't see a signature atmosphere.

It's bitchin'

Yotimi
October 17th 2010

Album rules. Not quite as good as MHTRTC and Geoggadi but it's still got their signature atmosphere with plenty of stand out tracks.

xfearbefore
October 17th 2010

Good review. Just got done listening to MHTRTC earlier today for the first time and adored it, I'm going to have to check out the rest of their discography.

October 18th 2010

I agree, it's a sweet album; I may have rated it a little low. However, I still think that the feel of the album is much less "dark" than their other albums if you know what I mean.

October 18th 2010

Dark does not mean good. Apator was supposed to be dark.

couldwinarabbit
October 18th 2010

this is amazing wtf...listen to it again

scissorlocked
October 18th 2010

It's an amazing album,although the first half is by far better than the second

the atmosphere is ideal,and the name of the album summarizes it well

Digging: Traumprinz - All The Things

Deviant.

Not their best work

Digging: Objekt - Flatland

October 18th 2010

bitchfork, this is where opinion takes hold. I personally enjoy their darker stuff, which is why I don't like this album as much. What's good to me may not be what's good to you, and I can respect that.

brutebeard
October 18th 2010

Pretty good first review. I'll stray away from this album

Yotimi
October 18th 2010

No dude, seriously don't it's awesome

October 18th 2010

don't stray from it. give it a listen, it's good. just personally I don't like it as much as earlier stuff.

brutebeard
October 19th 2010

I have none of their stuff...not sure what's holding me back