Vanna
The Honest Hearts EP

good

by Nu Metal USER (28 Reviews)
October 14th, 2010 | 18 replies

Review Summary: An incredibly strong and impressive release by these guys.

2010 has been an incredibly successful year for Vanna, having being on Warped Tour, headlining crowded local and regional shows, making a name for themselves in the saturated 'core' scene, and withstanding member changes. However does The Honest Hearts EP match this success? In short, its an undisputed yes.

First thing to be noted is that the album is not over-produced. Which for me personally brings me closer to liking this band due to the fact they've been only sub-par to me, never being in any top ten lists in my head and are devoid of any real "HOLY CRAP!" moments. Heres something for people who might not understand what I'm saying about production lack: Imagine going to see your favorite band live and going "Hey! Thats not what they sound like on the album" this phenomenon is due to the fact many bands mask themselves in production. This release is essentially a "what you see is what you get" if you plan to see them live, this is likely what you'll hear. This may turn off some listeners with allegations of "No, this is a result of rushing" but I remember a day when production was not the cats meow.

Instrumentally, they are doing not much different from the A New Hope release, however they are doing it much better. They still have the driving, erratic guitars that dip between melodic playing and breakdowns and solid drumming. The new vocalist, formerly of the now dead Seeker Destroyer is now the frontman in Vanna and is not half bad, although some may have a problem transitioning from Chris to Davey. The actual singing by Evan has remained the same since ANH with little improvement, however his voice is one I would regard as good anyways. The only issue I still have is that the Bass is really hard to hear even for 'core standards and is fully heard in a short bit on "Sending Vessels".

The album is 5 songs long, 2 remakes and 3 fresh new songs. Longtime fans of Vanna will get an amount of nostalgic happiness with the remake of "Dead Language" which I feel was a good move for them. At a couple years old and a into a few releases at this point, it shows they are appreciative of their longtime fans who have stuck with them. The other remake is Trashmouth which is pretty solid as well and I feel is better than ANH's version. For the other three, each one has their attributes. The opener "Lost And Bound" blows open the door in typical Vanna fashion displaying Davey's vocal range very well and showing you what to expect. Sending Vessels opens with a decent drum/melodic guitar introduction lead into Davey and the rest of the band. This song displays the drummers talent the best displaying a very good double bass and timing. Passerby is the best song on the EP of the three originals and shows off the bands collective talents in an equal way. Whats good about this song is its usage of a breakdown. Its like a boxers moves, a series of jabs building up to one large finisher which I feel is the best breakdown on the EP which is much more refreshing than spontaneous breakdowns scattered throughout a song.

Vanna has finally found their position in the national scene this year and will hopefully continue with their success. Vanna fans old and new will appreciate this release and will definitely anticipate their Full Length.

Rude Awakening Collateral DamageAlcoa Bone & Marrow
Full of Hell Rudiments of MutilationSole No Wising Up No Settling Down
Have Heart The Things We CarryBorn Without Bones Say Hello
3.3

October 14th 2010

not a bad 2nd review dude, i have a lot of small gripes with it as far as sentence structure and some punctuation...but keep at it i'd like to read more from you.

as far as the album sounding like it does live, i actually enjoy that too. i would rather hear a band for what they are, imperfections included. sometimes the crack in someone's voice or the rawness of a drum just makes the album seem more personal.

Digging: Low Roar - 0

botb
October 14th 2010

vanna's a sweet live band to be honest.

Yeah SowingSeason

I was reading over this, and I was going "Dammit!" at a few of the errors I made.

And yeah, this is why I'm digging this EP. It would of been higher if it wasn't an EP though.

And bringonthebreakdown:

Yeah, I've seen these dudes three times. Twice at a venue in Massachusetts and another time at this years Warped Tour in Massachusetts. Theyre a very good live band.

Winsomniac
October 14th 2010

Pretty sad to see their old singer leave. Chris was a badass. I'll see how I like the new vox. Trashmouth re-recording seemed alright, but I still enjoyed the older vox better.

Will check this out.

Digging: Submotion Orchestra - Alium

October 14th 2010

Chris was great, no lie. I think they're good, I can understand people having difficulty getting used to it.

xfearbefore
October 14th 2010

Good review, good group and good guys all-around, definitely check 'em out live if you get the chance.

Digging: The Smoking Popes - Get Fired

Comatorium.
October 14th 2010

vox sound pretty much exactly the same to me... but yeah, its vanna, and its cool. nothing special though. rating is dead on.

HighandDriving
October 14th 2010

This use to be a decent generic metalcore band but after Curses they just started sucking something fierce.

Xplisit
October 15th 2010

yeah they pretty much suck now but im upsset cuz i cant find a valid DL anywhere, can someone link me..?

I want to hear the Dead Language remake

Kulti
October 19th 2010

Am I the only one here, who thinks that this EP is fucking badass???

October 20th 2010

I really dig it Kulti.

Winsomniac
October 20th 2010

Acanthus
October 31st 2010

The intro track does follow the same format that the majority of Vanna's openers use, but I firmly contend that "Sending Vessels" is a better song.

"I'm not really a fan of the vox change either. And the old version of A Dead Language for a Dying Lady was far superior, IMO."

- I agree on both points here; the original has a harshness that I don't believe that Vanna will ever regain and the new vocalist can't fill the shoes that Chris held. What Davey does on A New Hope works and works well, but after hearing "Dead Language" I think they need to stick to material such as ANH and what original work is on the E.P.

Digging: MO - No Mythologies To Follow

Spluger
January 30th 2011

Great ep, I think Davey is a great replacement for Chris.

BonRurgundy
June 26th 2012

Goddam Trashmouth is SO GOOD. Why can't Vanna do more songs like this?

October 14th 2012

Band is absolutely fucking horrid now.

October 15th 2012

Dave Muise is the biggest piece of shit in the business.

Spluger
December 9th 2012

I used to love this band haha. Jeeez, things have changed.