Sufjan Stevens
The Age of Adz

by Furapika USER (20 Reviews)
October 12th, 2010 | 78 replies

Review Summary: Vesuvius, fire of fire, follow me now as I favor the host.

As Channing Freeman once said, "This album makes me feel things. Listen to it." in regards to Joanna Newsom's Have One on Me, the same line applies to Sufjan Stevens' The Age of Adz for myself. Let's get this straight; this album is a statement. Throughout the 74 minute run-time of The Age of Adz, Sufjan straddles the fine line between madman and genius, destroying boundary after boundary. The result makes me "feel things" to a magnitude perhaps far greater than most music.

Therein lies the beauty of it all. Orchestras, choirs, electronic bleeps and boops, with even autotune and vocoder on "Impossible Soul," all paint an atmosphere of a distant, previously unexplored planet that Sufjan has created. Whether it's the journey through the anthems "The Age of Adz" and "Vesuvius," or the crazed madness of "I Want to Be Well" where Sufjan vehemently proclaims he's not f*cking around, the immense beauty created by the instrumentation takes on the form of artificial sunshine. Listening to it is almost akin to a man who lived in a cave his entire life stepping outside into sunlight for the first time; it is a joyous, unforgettable experience, only The Age of Adz is that experience caught on tape. Rarely does it ever falter in consistency, with the somber and mundane "Now That I'm Older" being the only misstep, and even that contributes to the overall mood and ultimate greatness of the album.

Sometimes, the sound becomes so transcendent that I can forgot where I am, who I am, that the sounds filling my ears are even music. The Age of Adz goes beyond art at times, a window to the human mind and soul. The smooth mesh of bombastic orchestral music, pulsating electronics and Sufjan's trademark style can be perhaps described best in three words; happy, beautiful, and jarring. What it provides is not only a look through the mind of Sufjan Stevens, but maybe even a look into the inner emotions of us all.

And it's pure magic.

Demon Hunter ExtremistSamiam Clumsy
Skyhill Run With the HuntedNinja Sex Party Strawberries and Cream
Swans Children of GodThe Sleeping The Big Deep

October 12th 2010

Sorry if this was unnecessary, I had to do it.

Digging: Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright in the End

too gay

October 12th 2010

yeah listening to this makes me feel gay...

as in happy

lul soo clever

negger!

not me

October 12th 2010

kiss chan's ass some more why don't you

Digging: Alt-J - This Is All Yours

RosaParks
October 12th 2010

omg a joey b review. instapos

SeaAnemone

20370 Comments

And it's pure magic.

Digging: Holy Sons - Lost Decade II

couldwinarabbit

...so I should get this?

SeaAnemone

20370 Comments

I'm still really hesitant to be honest. I'll probably get round to it eventually. This hype train doesn't have me too enamored (though some of the reviews have been spectacular).

pizzamachine
October 12th 2010

Good review, I'm astounded by the amount of negs.

couldwinarabbit
October 12th 2010

I've always found Sufjan Stevens to kinda be like Tom Waits without balls...that's just me though.

AggravatedYeti
October 12th 2010

interesting way of putting it.

October 12th 2010

this shit is magical broskis

Lucid
October 12th 2010

only staff and contributors can write 5 reviews for this who do you think you are

Digging: Perfume Genius - Too Bright

Slum
October 12th 2010

Magic everywhere in this bitch

conradtao

2090 Comments

myfacewhen magic

Jethro42
October 12th 2010

I've only heard his EP All delighted people, and I like it. What should I listen to next? Illinois? Michigan? This? None?
Good review Lakes. Sounds a bit fanboyish though.
pos'd

Xenophanes
October 12th 2010

Its kinda short, for a five you didn't have much to say about the album. That being said, I read through its entirety, and what was here is well written. I'll give you a mild pos.

Digging: Grouper - Ruins