Kings of Leon
Come Around Sundown

by doug USER (78 Reviews)
October 11th, 2010 | 197 replies | 27,067 views

Review Summary: Long live the new kings.

Kings of Leon is now a band everybody knows well. After the great success of Only By The Night, their music became like a plague, being heard everywhere and anywhere, creating an almost unstoppable force that became the most sold digital album of all time. Many older fans were askew with anger, disappointed in the band, calling them sell outs, as they had changed their sound to be more stadium friendly, unlike the rock rigour of the past. Even Caleb Followill had troubles with the album, saying abrupt statements such as, “We know you’re sick of Kings of Leon. We’re fucking sick of Kings of Leon too” – as the overexposure had become apparently too much. But maybe, just maybe Kings of Leon were just bluffing, maybe they had always had Come Around Sundown planned to sound like a perfect mix of old and new? Because Kings of Leon’s latest packs one hell of punch that will keep the old timers beyond happy. Yet Come Around Sundown is a changed Kings of Leon, branching off the past and diving head first into the future – forgetting and un-attaching any of the strings that came with Only By The Night.

Come Around Sundown has glistening and cohesive production that is not unlike the multi-platinum success of their previous release, yet that is the only similarity found as the band has added a sense of familiarity which almost at once makes you feel connected with this record. Opener, “The End” is a slow, looped, almost ballad like tune that straightaway gives you a taste of a different Kings of Leon, while lead single “Radioactive” sounds like a Noiseworks cover, but has been tweaked perfectly, as the catchy and infectious guitar work makes it such a song that it will be listened to over and over again.

Come Around Sundown has a heavy influence on water and the beach due to the bands heavy listening of classic surf rock bands before entering the studio, and this is shown throughout the album with differing mentions in the lyrics;
“It's in the water, It's in the story of where you came from
Your sons and daughters in all their glory it's gonna shape 'em
And when they pledge and come together, and start a rising
Just drink the water where you came from, where you came from”

The southern rock feel that Kings of Leon mastered for so long before Only By The Night is again found here, “Mi Amigo” is a fantastic example of this, with a rich yet funked up guitar line clashed against a smooth yet throaty performance by Followill, it is one of the best rock offerings by the band to date. Come Around Sundown is everything that you could have hoped for. Delving into a sound that feels and is obviously more comfortable for the band, the infectious guitar hooks, bouncing bass lines and more importantly a stunning performance by Followill, mean that Kings of Leon are back on track with a reinvigorated sound that clears all the uncertainty that has been hanging in the air. Come Around Sundown is a fantastic return to form.

Flume and Chet Faker LockjawThe Naked and Famous In Rolling Waves
James Blake OvergrownTaylor Swift Red
Macklemore and Ryan Lewis The HeistChet Faker Thinking in Textures
3.3
Alex Robertson STAFF (4)

Jeremy Aaron (3.5)
The Followills are back with another sturdy set of songs-- not the stuff of legend, but solid enough...

rustee182 (4)
The Kings of Leon certainly do not crack under the pressure of Rock 'n' Roll super stardom by making...

Sam Feldman's Rating (3.5)

October 11th 2010

First review in a while, so a bit rusty.

Stream is here: http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/geo/kingsofleon_comearoundsundown/

Digging: James Vincent McMorrow - Post Tropical

JWT155

So stoked.

YOU DICK I WAS LITERALLY JUST ABOUT TO POST A REVIEW FOR THIS

oh well nice review

Romulus

Only By The Bight.

really good review just patch that up.

also i was a bit disappointed by this seeing the hype it got here but it's definitely better than the one before it

Only By The Bight.

do'h

@Rom: cheers!

@Entron: Haha, to slow man. Thanks though.

October 11th 2010

nah i had it written since this morning

Foxhound
October 11th 2010

the most sold digital album of old time.

typo i think?

G3N3R1C

1945 Comments

Hated OBTN, this is definitely a step up.

Nice review.

Deviant.
October 11th 2010

This album is actually so good

Digging: Banks - Goddess

pyro is fucking awesome

October 11th 2010

@Foxhound, thanks I just spotted that!
@Generic: It definitely is a step up for the better, thanks man.
@Deviant, we already new that ; )
@Entron: Yeah, I also love Pony Up.

October 11th 2010

nice review, album does indeed rule much harder than expected. I feel like they've been aiming for a U2 vibe for years now, going with youthful energy on their first couple (i.e. Boy, October), hinting at arena rock while maintaining the core sound (i.e. War, Because of the Times), scoring their huge hit single (Use Somebody/OBtN, Pride/Unforgettable Fire) and trying to make an Americana-influenced classic (this, Joshua Tree).

obviously this is nowhere near as good as The Joshua Tree, but am I the only one who gets that feeling from this band? I feel like touring with U2 really influenced them...

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend

Thanks man.

Well that's an interesting comparison and yes, I can see what you mean... But I dunno, they seem to
edgy (no pun intended) to be like U2. I don't their are a lot of influences in their sound, and
definitely U2 is one of them, put not their only one.

MassiveAttack

The Doug :D

October 11th 2010

oh no definitely not that they sound exactly like them, but I dunno, I can't think of a better comparison for their last two albums than Achtung Baby-era U2 -- the first two tracks on here in particular, down to the vocal melodies/delivery, everything.

you can't picture Bono singing the chorus to Radioactive?

October 11th 2010

Yeah true I see what you mean - and yeah Bono... I could see that.

Okay, listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFX0pgXdd7g (namely the chorus)
Then listen to Radioactive and tell me what you think haha

October 11th 2010

hahaha holy shit that is eerily similar

I've never heard of that band before, pretty good song, but that video was hysterical

October 11th 2010

Haha, I know - Kings of Leon did a gig with them last Christmas I think, and the ended up doing some work with them.

Noiseworks are an 80's band from Australia. Video is definitely ridiculous.

Deviant.
October 11th 2010

Chambered - you need new ears dude

Romulus
October 11th 2010

chambered i have a confession to make.

i literally just steal your ratings and add or subtract .5 to them at my leisure