The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble
Here Be Dragons

by Adash USER (43 Reviews)
October 10th, 2010 | 109 replies | 14,272 views

Review Summary: Dark Days, Grey Nights

Before I begin, it is of vital importance that you know that The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble is only the third best band name that founder Jason Kohnen has come up with. The second? The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation. And the first?

All in good time my Sputnik amigos.

Here be Dragons is the sophomore effort from the Dutch group, and is a natural progression from their self titled debut. Lightly brushed drums embrace the silky smooth fretless bass like long lost lovers in a darkened room. Mournful brass lurks in the shadows, serenading the couple with a lament of woeful sighs. Occasionally, a trickle of melancholy laughter emerges from agonizingly placed piano keys before fading again into the gloom. Almost imperceptibly, like dreary smoke from a forgotten cigarette, dark sine waves rise from the ashtray of sound and seep out of the open balcony into the boundless night. Suddenly a soft and sultry voice slinks in from the burning slit of light at the bottom of the weary door; shadowy syllables tiptoe their way along the corridor, carried by an invisible breeze that caresses the murky space and causes the lonely candle flame to bow in subjugation before the infinite darkness.

There are many reasons to listen to this dark and thoughtful music. It’s dark, brooding and at times superbly soul stirring. It’s also strikingly original. The instrumentation is constrained and subtle, and it works wonders by enveloping rather than overwhelming the listener; this is shadowy music for dark days and grey nights.

But the first and foremost reason you have to get this is because it’s the side project of a genius whose main artistic outlet is a raggacore outfit called, unbelievably and unbeatably, Bong Ra.

Autechre ExaiVladislav Delay Vantaa
Pinch and Shackleton Pinch and ShackletonOneohtrix Point Never Replica
Patten GLAQJO XAACSOMatthew Herbert One Pig

October 10th 2010

Disclaimer: All in good time my Sputnik amigos is not to my knowledge a band

PearlDrummer20
October 10th 2010

Here Be Dragons? What does it mean and why do bands use it?

October 10th 2010

Fuck yeah pigeons. Glad to see this reviewed. Good work.

October 10th 2010

here be dragons is used to describe unexplored regions on a map - essentially means 'the unknown'

pigeons?

October 18th 2010

Crazy good.

Zettel
February 25th 2011

How do you come up with this stuff? You see, I know you consciously avoided talking more in depth about the music and, in that sense, I feel you make a disservice to the album, and yet, you somehow managed to capture the feeling that permeates the album from your perspective, enough to generate interest for the album. Not bad at all.

Also, good call on Bong Ra.

February 25th 2011

I am a supreme bullshitter, if I may say so myself, and this feels like one of those albums that one can get away with such abstract reviewing, if only because almost no one will ever read this.

I do try to tread the line between reviewing and writing prose fiction, although with somewhat varied results; I recommend you check out my Ground Zero review for complete and utter absurdity.

Bong Ra 4 Life

February 25th 2011

Pretty much. Is there a new Doomjazz with yellow art?

Zettel

"Bong Ra 4 Life"

I am listening to Full Metal Racket as I write this. I want to destroy things.

Balls:

Yeah, it must be Anthropomorphic.

February 25th 2011

This rules, as does The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation. I need to get the new album as soon as it's available.

Polymath
March 9th 2011

epic band name, that is all.

March 9th 2011

album iz good, new one iz also good

Polymath
March 11th 2011

Couldn't really dig this album as much as you guys

fuck