Glasser
Ring

by RadicalElephants USER (2 Reviews)
October 6th, 2010 | 4 replies | 1,088 views

Review Summary: A debut that shows us the promise this artist has.

In this day and age, anyone with a computer can write, record and produce music. This doesn’t mean that everyone should or can do it well. An example of when this more accessible method is used for good is Glasser’s debut full-length, Ring. Ring is roughly 40 minutes of what I can only describe as a Frankenstein hybrid of electronic, folk and tribal music far more beautiful than the one you might have read about in Mary Shelley’s classic work.
Glasser, or Cameron Mesirow, ignores the usual structure of songs (meaning Verse, Chorus, Verse) while using layered electronic instruments and beats combined with haunting vocals to tell a story. They’re interestingly deep songs that aren’t like too many you’ve heard before. This story is told through the actual music just as much as it is through the lyrics, meaning that when you’ve finished listening to this album, what you’ve created in your mind is totally original from what the person before you created.
The stride Glasser takes in Ring is steady and true until the end when you listen to “Treasury of We,” which brings a lighter, almost happier (this isn’t to say that the rest of the album is depressing) sound than its companions bring. This in no way ruins the experience of this album, but more than likely shows the inexperience of the artist which is nothing that should be overly criticized.
While Cameron Mesirow doesn’t attempt to reinvent the wheel with Ring, that’s more than acceptable. She didn’t need to, which is exhibited smoothly and enjoyably in Ring. If you’re a fan of the vocals of Wild Beasts or Chairlift and enjoy experimental, yet well-arranged electronic music, then this album is a definite must-listen.

tuneskies (3.5)
Glasser is an artist to watch, and with this album, Cameron Mesirow has marked her territory....

Kiran EMERITUS (4)
Totally chiastic....

pizzamachine
October 6th 2010

The review can be clunky, but since it describes the music well, pos.

RadicalElephants
October 6th 2010

Could you elaborate a little? I appreciate criticism.

pizzamachine
October 6th 2010

I mean that some of your sentences do not flow well. Here's an example:

"While Cameron Mesirow doesn’t attempt to reinvent the wheel with Ring, that’s more than acceptable. She didn’t need to, which is exhibited smoothly and enjoyably in Ring"

There's just a bit of disconnection.

RadicalElephants
October 7th 2010

I see what you mean. This is only my second review so I'm learning as I go. I'll do some edits to it.