Melechesh
The Epigenesis

good

by Jared Ponton EMERITUS
October 5th, 2010 | 67 replies

Review Summary: Melechesh explore their influences but come up a bit short

If you liked Emissaries and Sphinx, then there’s really no reason why you wouldn’t find something to like about Melechesh’s new album, The Epigenesis. I mean, you’ve got that catchy, Middle Eastern-tinged black metal shit that you have always known and loved from the Israeli group again, and the band have even expanded their instrumental sections a bit more for some variety – though this raises a few issues:

“When Halos of Candles Collide” and “A Greater Chain of Being” are the instrumental pieces that really explore the influences of Melechesh’s sound, and while this is a welcome reprieve from guitarists Melechesh Ashmedi and Moloch’s continual onslaught of distorted, high fret riffs, these pieces seem to get The Epigenesis off track in places, leaving the album feeling a bit serrated and divided. This was never a problem with 2006’s (one of the) black metal albums of the year, Emissaries, or even Sphinx for that matter, so it’s sad to see that the band often loses their focus on this album, just for the sake of variety.

You might guess, then, that Melechesh are at their best when they are firing away on all cylinders and giving us what we have come to expect from them on The Epigenesis, and they are – for most of the first half of the album and some of the second half. Bald-headed vocalist Ashmedi is still a highpoint, with a barking shriek that remains easily understandable yet potent throughout the album’s length, and drummer Xul once again remains a driving force to Melechesh’s more frantic moments; on the more expansive Middle Eastern-tinged instrumentals, his kit playing coasts the band’s more ornate inclusions to the music even further along for an authentic Middle Eastern feel and sound.

What you will begin to pick up on with The Epigenesis, however, is that it is too long for its own good, and that those moments that hint at the best parts of Emissaries and Sphinx are underplayed and given a second role in the album’s equation. This is not so much a bad thing on paper, in a way, as Melechesh are clearly just trying to expand their sound in order to create a more varied album. But the problem arises in that, in places, the band loses track of what has made them so good and consistent to begin with. You could call Melechesh’s past blend of black metal relentless guitar riffs after relentless guitar riffs of Isreali carnage, but what you always had there was essentially accessible, consistent black metal. On The Epigenesis, Melechesh underplay this characteristic of their music in order to expand, but in the end they come up with an album that’s just not quite up to par with their stellar past releases.

Brand New The Devil and God Are Raging Inside MeThe Sky Life Caves
Lights and Motion ChronicleRed Of Beauty and Rage
There Will Be Fireworks The Dark, Dark BrightBring Me The Horizon Sempiternal

Metalstyles
October 5th 2010

Cool review Jared, I've been meaning to check these guys out, but I've always forgotten about them. One thing I know for sure is that when I do actually get to checking them out, I'll start with one of their previous efforts.

Also, in the tracklist it say's the song's name is "When Halos of Candles Collide" so idk which is right, that one or yours, but one is off.

TheSpirit
October 5th 2010

Always meant to give these guys a listen

Digging: Grinning Death's Head - Blood War

Voivod
October 5th 2010

i listened to the record and tbh it wasn't an overwhelming experience...

Spot on review.

The rating couldn't be more accurate.

Digging: Urarv - Aurum

Powerban
October 5th 2010

Personally, I'd say get Emissaries first. Album is full of win and I need to get this now.

October 5th 2010

Good review, Jared. I've haven't yet listened to this band, so maybe I'll start with [i]Emissaries[/] at some point today. Pos'd.

Ponton
October 5th 2010

Thanks guys, it's been a while for me.

You're right, Magnus. The version I have has it wrong on the tracklisting

Digging: Ian William Craig - Centres

Metalstyles
October 5th 2010

as long as we're at it, which is it, "A Greater Chain of Being" or "The Greater Chain of Being" haha?

Powerban
October 5th 2010

They signed to Nuclear Blast after Emissaries. I hope that whole variety thing you speak about isn't because of their pressure.

jingledeath
October 5th 2010

Gave this a listen but I wasn't paying attention. Will have to give it another go later.

Thanntos
October 5th 2010

I'm with jingle, listened but it really didn't capture my attention at all. Perhaps I should just wait for my physical copy before I listen again to get the best quality.

October 5th 2010

Nice review like always bro. This band is decent, but nothing really special.

Digging: Mur - Heartworn

Ponton
October 5th 2010

Haha, I actually have it right in the review Magnus with that one. The tracklisting in the database is wrong, but ill fix it

zaruyache
October 5th 2010

Grand Gathas Of Baal Sin is a sweet song.

Slimjim367
October 6th 2010

lol
come

lol short

Blakout
October 7th 2010

Sacred Geometry is an incredible song. As a whole, album's not quite as great as Emissaries, but there's still some amazing riffs here.

Band is one of the most consistently good black metal bands around.

Jotun35
October 8th 2010

Definitely an album that becomes better listen after listen (don't expect to appreciate it with only 2 or 3 listening). YES the tracklist is weird because "When Halos..." is misplaced just before the most brutal song of the album : "Defeating The Giants" and its typical Absu riffs and after a very repetitive song : "Mystics of The Pillar". As a consequence, the pace of the album is totaly screwed-up (-0.5).

But the most up-tempo and brutal parts are excellent and the sumerian samples/influences are more integrated to each song.

In a nutshell, "The Epigenesis" is neither better than "Emissaries" nor as good... but it's close (better than "Sphynx" If you ask me) !

October 8th 2010

Band is one of the most consistently good black metal bands around.

I'd have to beg to differ with that. They're pretty good, but most of their stuff gets boring at times and is way too long.

jingledeath
October 8th 2010

I liked Sphynx but this is really boring.

Baphomet
October 8th 2010

WHY DON'T YOU JUST KILL ME AND SPIT ON MY GRAVE?!

I still have to check this out. I hope it's at least half as good as Sphynx.

October 8th 2010

Haha that's just how I feel. Emissaries is pretty good, but Sphynx kinda bored me to death at some points.