La Dispute
Here, Hear. II

by Nevin USER (56 Reviews)
September 28th, 2010 | 22 replies | 3,577 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: La Dispute show another gradual progression as they expand their already impressive discography.

It's the respect and maturity in the way that La Dispute crafted their Here, Hear., series that makes it so powerful. It's unfortunately rare in recent music to find a band that not only makes their music professionally, but does it with such craftsmanship. As shown with their previous entry in the series, La Dispute takes bits and pieces from the workings of authors and poets and supply all the other necessary elements to make the four tracks on part II. And it's with this approach that the group shines exceptionally as musicians, each member adding their own music for each of their literary selections and lead man Jordan Dreyer submitting his vocals. As displayed on their previous releases, La Dispute holds the pristine ability to create atmosphere and it is no different here, beginning with the light chirping of crickets on five.

Dreyer's confident and concise pronunciation is key to the way each song flows. His smooth, gliding, sing-song technique with the finger-snapping tempo on five and the playful, even childish tone during seven shows him experimenting with a number of ways to convey the message of each track. Everything is executed in a very precise manner, bringing out the hidden talents not shown on La Dispute's previous outings (save for the previous Here, Hear.) as well as showing just how respectful they are to their source material. This is no simple spoken-word tribute to the authors and poets; it's a downright gift to them. As shown on eight, the extremely tense and explosive feel of Dreyer's words holds the perfect intensity and passion not normally seen by the pseudo-poets loitering the corner coffee shop.

As previously mentioned, the music here is put in place only to accentuate the mood of the literature, and it does its job wonderfully. With the diverse instruments rising and falling with the mood of the speaker, it shows a lot about the group's ability to appreciate and control their tempo. For each song that La Dispute craft, a little more potential is revealed and their gradual growth is one of the most exciting developments in music today. From their usual post-hardcore fashion to this rare spoken-word treat, they slowly evolve into professional and ever-expanding musicians, and never cease to surprise the music world. And with Here, Hear II, they add another stepping stone to their next project, which promises only greatness.

Trophy Scars Never Born, Never DeadFaux Reality Faux Reality
Andrew Jackson Jihad Knife ManBomb the Music Industry! Vacation
I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody's Business Gold RushDan Andriano in the Emergency Room Hurricane Season
gaz (4)
'So he scraped and scratched and scrabbled and scrooged and then scrooged again and scrabbled and sc...

September 28th 2010

This could very well be terrible so any sort of critique would be appreciated. Have been in a really bad writing funk lately. Can get the three Here, Hear.'s off of their site for free I believe with liner notes and lyrics. Enjoy.

September 28th 2010

review is good, dunno why ur worried. effective and brief, the way i like 'em. have a pos.

btw ive been in a huge funk lately too it must be contagious

Thanks, dude. Maybe it's just the SEASON

ic wut u did ther

fromtheinside

i really only like hear. here III but they really did a fine job with all 3

Digging: Lord Mantis - Death Mask

September 28th 2010

I'd say III is probably my favorite as well, but yeah they were all really well produced.

Get it: http://andtothegloriouspast.wordpress.com/distributor-list/

September 28th 2010

Huh, weird. Anyway click Our Music at the top and they have all the Here, Hears there. Same url so idk why it doesn't work

September 28th 2010

Probably my favorite of the three. Predominately because of the track Five & Eight. And that sexy piano work in Seven (or Six... which ever had the lyrics pertaining to the mole at face value).

would i like this?

September 28th 2010

well only you can be the judge of that

Bitchfork

CLEVER!

September 28th 2010

I'd say so, Sowing since I think we have relatively similar taste

September 28th 2010

Haha. As was just confirmed, I get to interview La Dispute for a news article for a paper. Fuck yeah. What should I ask?

September 28th 2010

Details on next full length/whatever the release next

The split with Koji?

September 28th 2010

How did I not know about that

September 28th 2010

chan's answer probably helped me the most

but i agree slum, will check this out sometime

September 28th 2010

Make sure its Five, Sowing. Probably the best track on here. Especially the bassline.

mmfarva
September 29th 2010

I'm still waiting on my answers from La Dispute unfortunately.