Shining
Blackjazz

by fromtheinside USER (127 Reviews)
September 28th, 2010 | 29 replies | 7,446 views

Those who need a quick briefing on what Shining are all about direct your attention to the album title. Mercurial jazz meets pizzazz black metal. It feels like something that would accompany an Uwe Boll film except the catch here is it doesn’t suck, and like most of his trite attempts at filming, the soundtrack would out mass the film. Blackjazz is an album that’s ugly because of its pension to mash genre’s that don’t feel as parallel as they are.

Ugly seems to be more than a fitting description of Blackjazz. It’s anything but inviting, evident from the transcending screams opening “The Madness and the Damage Done” but ascertained by the progression most tracks take. Where the electro jazz substance feels silly an, almost abhorrent atmosphere takes hold shifting the attention to the spastic riffs that repeat but don’t grow stale – see “Exit Sun”. However, riffs are supplements for the fusion of the genres. The riffs split time between the whirlwind of buzzing that circumvents a majority of the affair, which mold nicely with the catatonic jazz instruments whether that be the saxophones, synths, and keyboard styling’s or all three they add to the harvesting of brutality Shining know how to produce so well.

And with that brutality familiarity treads. This is the Shining of past, doing Shining of the future (here in the present). Things are “new” (certainly heavier); yet most could approach this record and say “I’m not too shocked to hear that forty-five minute scream, or those repeating of track titles, or that ALL CAPS TRACK TITLE”. However you may be shocked to hear the influences they’re pulling from these days, and while they lean more to the motW side (which is a vastly different enigma all in itself), their ties keep them grounded while shoving those bars of metal further. Complexity in the simplest form, if that makes since, is a sharpened tool on Blackjazz. While toning done the frenetic senses of previous affairs, the way in which they utilize all their instruments’ effects leads no structure. There is some extremely vivid work to be had here most of the second “The Maddening and the Damage Done” for instance - complete with tricky saxophone interplay and, of course, more buzzing.

Those aren’t discrepancies though, they’ve bolstered their work tenfold and it pays the dividends. Sure they could lay off the King Crimson love for(ever) a while, but that doesn’t mean their aspirations aren’t in the right place. It is to say, they’re on the right track. Where their robotic vocals meets their buzz saw attacks comes beauty in the form of true “progression”. Not that Wal-Mart labeled progression because it doesn’t fit in the rock/pop category either, but ideas that are currently thinking outside the metal box; like the way their punk tastefulness sits perfectly in place next to their drone aesthetics. Here is where they beam brightest, in melding together superfluous influences into one single track – forget the album as a whole, they catapult the making and feeling of a truly original concept.

Pyrrhon The Mother of VirtuesCult Leader Nothing for Us Here
Chevelle La GargolaVales Wilt And Rise
Nero Di Marte Nero Di MartePolygons Rifts
oceangrave (4.5)
A work of surreal mindfuckery of absolutely massive proportions, “Blackjazz” needs to be thoroug...

One One One

September 28th 2010

i have one last review up my sleeve before i'm off, but i really wanted to get to 90 before then cause that kind of stuff bugs me

Digging: Transcending Bizarre? - The Serpent's Manifolds

Foxhound

u ain't leavin

Haha, I would aim for 100. 90 would bother me :P

Anyways, great review man; yet another album to add to my extensive list of CDs to download. pos.

puma35

awesome review, pos

Fort23
September 28th 2010

jazz-metal, does this sound like maudlin of the well at all.

Dryden

dont

pizzamachine
September 28th 2010

Well that was weird (but so good).

Bitchfork

love this

September 28th 2010

jazz-metal, does this sound like maudlin of the well at all.

yes-ish

Zion
September 28th 2010

Is the more cohesive than maudlin of the Well? maudlin at times is like "oh yeah guys weren't we playing a song there, we just kind of started daydreaming" - also, Is this the same Shining as the other Shining, you know, the ones you magically know I'm thinking of.

September 28th 2010

haha no these guys are norwegian not swedish or suicidal

also, they're definitely more cohesive, they just go off on these sporadic tangents that seriously sound like these guys forgot to take their ADHD meds.

Zip

Shining (swe) is better

JustJoe

Oh. Fuckery.

Positived.

Wizard

19328 Comments

Great review. This is far better than anything that Maudlin of Well (jazz metal) has ever done. I think it's said best here what Maudlin of the Well are:

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend

sexpoi
September 29th 2010

im not usually one for black metal but this sounds kinda good so i'll check it out. very well-written review

September 29th 2010

surprised by that wiz honestly. i love both but will say this rivals bath in every way, though i completely agree with that quote, they get lost in their jamming so often its nerve racking from time to time.

black metal-esque this is probably an easy to get into the genre, slick production, heavy instrumentation, frenetic composition.

Jethro42
September 29th 2010

Drummer is excellent. Music is too chaotic, noisy for my taste.
Good review

Wizard

19328 Comments

surprised by that wiz honestly.

I was actually surprised by this too. I do enjoy eccentric stuff like this from time to time and this one just hit the right buttons for me.

Zion
October 6th 2010

This guy looks/sounds like Mike Patton so much that it turns me off/on simultaneously.

DurzoBlint
March 21st 2011

The cover version of 21st century schizoid man made me check this out, really good album. Is it worth checking this bands discography? Or is this their best.