Eluvium
Copia

by fsharp USER (10 Reviews)
September 22nd, 2010 | 50 replies | 16,713 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Losing a loved one is not something that is easy to cope with. I myself being a realist know that the only real way to get over the death of an important person in your life is simply time. In May of this year I lost my cousin who I was indeed close with. She had a very open mind to anything, music included. I would show her a lot of new music and we would always talk about our musical interests. One thing I wish I did show her before she left this world was Copia.

Music is intangible. You can’t hold it in the palm of your hand or view it behind a glass frame at an art museum or even smell its beauty. This is why to me; music is one of the most fascinating things we have in this life. It can make us laugh and cry, it can relax us, it can frighten us and it can even make us forget who we are, even if it is for a second. Whenever I come across an album that has the power to access my emotions and make me feel otherworldly, it also has the power to make me forget. Forget about not only my worries but the worries and problems that I have associated with this world that are rapidly increasing day by day, and remind myself that I couldn’t be any happier to be alive.

Matthew Robert Cooper, the mastermind behind Eluvium has crafted an album that has managed to do this. From its simple piano driven ballads to its ambitious ambient movements, Cooper manages to take a various amount of musical styles and successfully mold it into an effort that goes far and beyond anything I expected the first time my ears took in the grandiose of instruments that Copia has to offer. The many different moments of power and beauty scattered throughout has led me to claim this as one of my personal favorite records.

Yes, I have mentioned that music is in fact intangible. But it’s albums like Copia that require a lot of mind power to truly see its beauty. Our mind is an immensely powerful tool and I wouldn’t doubt that it can unlock the ability for us to see and smell music. Copia is a reminder to me that maybe music is tangible and one day I will eventually see its true form. Well if not in this life, hopefully in the next.

Brian Eno Another Green WorldWeezer Hurley
Aceyalone Book of Human LanguageBjork Homogenic
Cave In JupiterHammock Kenotic
Jonny Hunter CONTRIBUTOR (4.5)
Beauty for beauty's sake....

Tyler Fisher EMERITUS (4.5)
A combination of all Eluvium work to date, Copia is Matthew Cooper's best effort, mixing melody with...

BigTuna

the album is beautiful

Digging: Fantastic Mr Fox - Sketches

AnotherBrick
September 22nd 2010

i loved reading this even though you really didnt talk too much about the album

crazyblinddude
September 22nd 2010

Love this album. My favorite of the discog. Truly beautiful.

fsharptrit0ne
September 22nd 2010

I tried not too really, this to me is a very personal album and it speaks for itself.

CelestialDust
September 22nd 2010

the transition from the opening track to the beggining of 'indoor swimming' brings so much ... hard to describe, it's just so calming... when i hear indoor swimming it's like I can accept everything that ever happened or ever will happen. that song brings tremendous feelings of relaxation

Lucid
September 22nd 2010

Reciting the Airships is magnificent.

Digging: Perfume Genius - Learning

DiceMan
September 22nd 2010

This is a really good review.

Aids

Definitely a 5

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

Jash

Quit being such an Eluvium fanboy Aids

brutebeard
September 23rd 2010

I really wanna check this out. Nice personal review.

McCopper

It's a 5.Nice review.

dcha
December 4th 2010

Repose in Blue.

Fucking...

iSkane
February 21st 2011

I want to five this just because of the review. Very VERY nice review. The best I've read on this site.

fulgrim
September 17th 2011

Nice review, this really is such a lovely album.

foxblood
September 24th 2011

i've listened to radio ballet like 200 times. also beautiful review

toxin.
September 27th 2011

What song best represents their sound? Good review but after reading it I still have no idea what this is like.

CelestialDust
November 10th 2011

listen to radio ballet

Apollo
June 11th 2012

this review is fucking fantastic