Swans
Children of God

by Adash USER (43 Reviews)
September 22nd, 2010 | 321 replies | 34,221 views

Release Date: 1987 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Beauty and the Beast

There are bands, and then there are bands. The former need nothing more than a handful of instruments and some catchy tunes. What lies beneath the fleshy exterior isn’t important. The latter, however, have at their disposal something more than simple song writing talent and musical ability. An extra ingredient is needed, some dark and mystical force that moves unseen in the pitch black labyrinths of sound.

Swans have that and then some.

Children of God explodes with the shattering New Mind, and does not let up once during its seventy minute running time. Even during the softest moments, a magical intensity still prevails – the signature Swans vibe that is present in every moment of their music. Pounding drums and droning guitars are still Gira’s domain, and he stalks through them with anger in his voice and fear in his heart. His voice erupts like a volcano spewing passion that instantaneously turns to poison; the unbridled screams that tear apart the stunning Beautiful Child are some of the most terrifying sounds ever to emanate from a humanity that could never come to terms with its own existence.

Orbiting like so many electrons around the unstable nucleus that is Gira are the honey sweet syllables that cascade from Jarboe’s tongue. Echoing with a quiet beauty, they resonate loudly from somnolent streams, caressed agonizingly by the weeping willows of piano that bow down in mourning from the overgrown banks. Dying away at a bend in the river, they ultimately cascade in fury over waterfalls of sound as Gira returns to the microphone.

Whilst adjectives such as terrifying and the haunting adequately sum up this album, ‘bizarre’ also springs to mind. The dissonant cacophony of trumpets that rips through Like a Drug violently collides with the nonsensical sounds that spring from Jarboe’s throat during the chorus; devastatingly unique to say the least. Meanwhile, the title track sounds like a fanatical church ceremony gone off the rails, and it sums up the album perfectly; the fervour running through this music is genuine, crushing and absolutely astonishing.

Swans were undoubtedly one of the most singular and astounding bands ever to arise from the dark recesses of sound, and Children of God was the first great mountain of sound they conquered. Whilst the following decade would see them evolve and mutate beyond belief, this remains their first flawless and perhaps most perfectly emotive work.

Autechre ExaiVladislav Delay Vantaa
Pinch and Shackleton Pinch and ShackletonOneohtrix Point Never Replica
Patten GLAQJO XAACSOMatthew Herbert One Pig
4.3
Lakes. (5)
All roads lead to home....

September 22nd 2010

review's only an entire generation overdue

iarescientists

album is an institution

astrel
September 22nd 2010

If only metal bands could be this brutal.

kount

September 24th 2010

makes me wonder what My Father would sound like with Jarboe

Buccaneer
December 26th 2010

Beautiful Child is the most terrifying thing I've heard all year

December 27th 2010

most terrifying thing I've heard in my life

eternium
December 28th 2010

Wow, finally listening to this and New Mind is one of the best openers I've heard in awhile. Really shows me that Godflesh is a metal version of Swans.

January 1st 2011

best review I've read in a while

much obliged

best album I've heard in a while :p

cbmartinez
January 2nd 2011

i have great destroyer and i dig it and respect it, but it's so dark and emotionally draining I don't listen to it much. I'd still like to hear this though

January 2nd 2011

Oof if you find great annihilator draining than this will ruin you, but thats what makes it so good. I recommend trying White Light From the Mouth of Infinity and then this; astounding stuff

January 2nd 2011

oh yeah this seems incredible

January 2nd 2011

I only heard some of the new one and I thought it was awesome so I definitely have to check out some of these classics

DarkNoctus
October 24th 2011

the sex in your soul will damn you to hell!! :]

October 24th 2011

What a mental band. Sex, God, Sex, when the band stops playing and Gira starts screaming for Jesus to come down = best moment of a live show I have ever seen

Butkuiss
November 28th 2011

>Listen to Swans.

>Realise Godflesh aren't as groundbreaking as you first thought.

>????

Profit

InAbsentia
November 28th 2011

One of the greatest bands in history.