Bossk

by Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration USER (56 Reviews)
September 22nd, 2010 | 29 replies | 6,837 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Nature vs. the machine, part .2: A singular truth.

Bossk’s second EP, .2, while retaining the distinct style that was showcased in 2005’s .1, is, at the same time, a completely different animal. While .1 brought to mind a picture of life before the advent of modern times and artificiality, .2’s sound is grounded in exactly that. It is no less beautiful, yet the music, the lyrics, and even the album cover (a panorama of a city) ponder the current age rather than the past. The music, which retained a simpler, guitar-based character in the first EP, is now much more mechanical in sound. It is not mechanical in the sense of it being cold and emotionless: in fact, there could be nothing farther from the truth. It’s just that the execution just seems more unnatural. The production, which was raw, unpolished, and emotional in .1, is now crystal clear and pristine. The distorted sections, instead of having the huge, sludgy power chords of .1, are now drop-Z downtuned behemoths that, at very first listen, bring to mind a much sludgier Meshuggah (see the opening riffs on Define for a perfect example). This sort of tone is shown in both songs, but much more prevalent are electronics-heavy sections of ambiance that are largely reminiscent of Russian Circle’s Geneva at times, with a surprisingly beautiful acoustic element added, to good effect.

Just like the musical style, the lyrics to this album serve as a sequel to those of .1. While those of the previous EP spoke of times past, and how man’s heart longs for that serenity, the lyrics here are much more pessimistic in nature. In Truth (Define is instrumental), one section states, “I now realize everything’s been lost for us, how did we lose sight of the truth?/Isn't it more important then anything else? I now realize what this empty space was for.” Here, the subject comes to terms with the mortality of him and his artificial, manufactured way of life. But the problem is that it’s too late to change anything. His eyes are opened to the falseness of modern times, but everything’s lost. It’s too late for us to make a change. Culture will continue its downward spiral, while he watches in horror and dejection: but not all hope is lost. While no one can ever save humanity as a whole, each individual, with his realization of the importance of that single, definite Truth, can save himself, even as culture tears itself apart. He cannot fill the empty space of humanity, but he can fill that which is within his heart. Here, like in II, what exactly this singular truth represents is up to the listener to decide, but the message of both this EP and their first is definite.

1: Humanity longs for meaning, purpose, serenity, and a life without falsehood and artificiality.

2: It’s too late to save humanity and culture as a whole: we’ve brought ourselves down too low. But once we, as individuals, recognize the singular truth that defines us, and use that truth to fill the emptiness, we can redeem ourselves.

Floating in the dead of space, 30 seconds ‘til the end
Things are falling apart again, maybe for the last time
No matter how hard we try, we can't let the void fade away.
We all fall into the dark, floating away to fragile stars.
Waiting for you, with starry eyes, an empty soul, waiting for you, always.

Isis The Red SeaZodiak Sermons
Alda :Tahoma:VESSL Goddess
Hungry For Hands I Was Hungry For HandsJob for a Cowboy Gloom

September 22nd 2010

This makes more sense if you read the .1 review first. Suggestions are appreciated.

Urinetrouble

hey bro 1 review per day

September 22nd 2010

Not trying to nitpick here, but usually its a good idea to wait to post the 2nd review until later on. Otherwise you end up bumping other peoples review off the front page and that makes some get butthurt.

Just a suggestion.

September 22nd 2010

yeah, sorry, it's just that I wrote these both at the same time: they're basically 1 review, and only make sense when read together.

Yeah, like me.

Cowboys suck

Steelers rule

September 22nd 2010

wait, what?... Oh, nevermind.

September 22nd 2010

hey that`s no fun, I wanted to argue

Hawks
September 22nd 2010

The Cowboys really do blow. GO STEELERS!

Digging: Engraved - Before The Tales

September 22nd 2010

no need, I highly respect the Steelers. And they are the one team I cant use my 5 SUPER BOWLS, BITCH! argument on.

September 22nd 2010

damn you Andy, you are no fun

September 22nd 2010

If the Cowboys weren't my team, it would be the Steelers. Not beause of the titles, because of the way they play football. Blue collar. Like men. Defense. Jack Tatum.

Hawks

qwe3

.1 was cool except for the vocals. might check this out for riffs

qwe3
September 22nd 2010

i used to support the eagles when i was little and lived near philly. they sucked though. but they had irving fryar yeah what a beast he was my fav player

Maniac!
September 22nd 2010

Hey Hans, remember when I wrote that one Staind review that bumped your review off the front page?

Ahhh good times.

September 22nd 2010

was that when you wree trolling?

Powerban
January 8th 2011

didn't realize this got reviewed. it was in my semi-long list of post-metal that needs a review.

and yes, the riffs do rule.