Various Artists (Electronic)
Kind of Bloop: An 8-Bit Tribute to Miles Davis

by emilyyy USER (1 Reviews)
September 21st, 2010 | 18 replies | 6,257 views

There are few albums conceived completely out of curiosity; Kind of Bloop is one of them. It began with a man named Andy Baio and the website Kickstarter, where entrepreneurs seek donations to turn their ideas into reality. Baio, wanting to know what "chiptune jazz" would sound like, recruited five well-known 8-bit wizards to rework Miles Davis' modal jazz classic Kind of Blue. And boy, is it Nintendo-y.

Hearing the first few bars of "So What" feels like being shoved into a smokey, pixelated '50s jazz club. Ast0r's rendition, however, is faithful and never strays too far from the original score. In fact, it's fluid. "Freddie Freeloader" begins in much the same way, with washes of white noise hi-hats and squawking pulse waves. Eventually the song becomes energized with feverish soloing, in stark contrast to the easygoing Davis version.

This sort of adventurous experimentation carries into the latter half of Kind of Bloop too. Refusing to rest on his laurels, Shnabubula makes "All Blues" sound completely alien at some points, attacking the listener with flurries of bending, warped notes and constant shifts in rhythm. The elegant ballad "Flamenco Sketches" takes a left turn a few miles in and goes into action platformer mode, sounding like something straight out of Ninja Gaiden or Contra rather than an old black man's trumpet. But, much like the rest of the pieces on Kind of Bloop, it returns to the jazz foundation that it was built on.

That sort of reverence is prevalent throughout every facet of these recordings, from the fundraising to the hours spent programming. Such re-imaginings will probably have most jazz purists defecating themselves in anger, while throwing game nerds and nostalgia hounds into fits of joy. I'll have to side with the nerds for now.

Jim

sounds awesome tbh

so what - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSCObIXDCJc

Irving
September 21st 2010

Wow, great review - incredibly concise too! And it shows character!

Digging: U2 - Songs of Innocence

Bulldog
September 21st 2010

sounds epic, link please?

September 21st 2010

it takes two seconds to find it with google

NeutralThunder12
September 21st 2010

being the biggest miles fanboy on the site means i need this

porch

WeepingBanana

album name made me lol

thebhoy
September 21st 2010

pretty much my pants are covered in shit and I'm not even a jazz purist. This sounds like the lamest idea ever.

September 21st 2010

right up there with your idea to post that

thebhoy

yep

SeaAnemone

20284 Comments

wow. I hardly even listen to jazz and this sounds like the worst idea I've heard since Hitler's little Nazi thing over in Germany.

robertsona

lol

elephantREVOLUTION
September 21st 2010

nice review. i love me some 8bit.

ThePalestMexican
September 24th 2010

I just listened
I'm not the biggest Miles Davis fan, but damn this was genius

dylanthedesertpea
January 30th 2011

ha this was actually kind of a fun listen. a little tiring after a while, but i thought it was a neat twist on things