Weezer
Hurley

1.0
awful

by Ciaran McManus USER (9 Reviews)
September 20th, 2010 | 49 replies

Review Summary: Weezer's apparent 'return-to-form' is nothing but hype

How does one review a Weezer album? Their glory days are so far behind them it’s as if they never existed, so is it really fair to use the seminal releases of The Blue Album and Pinkerton as a yard stick to which any of their subsequent albums should be measured? It probably is, because after all they are the only reason why I or any other serious alternative music publication is taking the time to review them. Those early two records were so good that we’re stuck reviewing their current crock of *** on good faith and that alone. I’m afraid it’s not because the nonsense-titled Raditude showed so much promise. That album was neither ‘rad’ nor did it contain any semblance of attitude. Shattitude (best I could do) might have been a more apt fabricated word to dub it, although I am aware that this still has the word attitude in. But this is alright, because in reality there was an attitude in Raditude, and it’s one Rivers Cuomo has been peddling for some time now - that of his inner 15-year-old adolescent self.

Since Pinkerton was wrongly panned by a majority of critics upon its release, it seems Cuomo was hit hard and developed a fear of writing about his actual feelings. He’s now happy enough to make up juvenile lyrics about girls and being people’s daddies instead, whatever that even means. The man is 40 years old - he should be talking about women, not girls. And he actually is a daddy, so time to get responsible.

This trend continues in Hurley, an album named after the much-loved Lost character. Alarm bells should be ringing right about now, if they hadn’t already started when you saw the cover art. In fact, there’s an alternative explanation for the album being named so, that it was financed by the clothing brand of the same name. The band have since refuted this, which is a shame, because I would have rather they had just sold-out completely than proved themselves to be as mindlessly unaware as we all suspected they might be but didn’t dare say.

The album kicks off with ‘Memories’, a track full of energy, but lacking in every other regard. Weezer are no strangers to the power of nostalgia - even five albums into their career they were already cashing in on their debut’s distinctive cover art – and this track, and the whole album, is no exception. Thinly veiled pop-culture references are abundant with the sole aim to invoke fond memories: “Pissing in plastic cups before we went on stage / Playing hackey sack back when Audioslave were still Rage.” At least in this song Cuomo acknowledges the fact that he is a fully-grown adult, and he’s just wistful for those old days. Later on is a different story with Cuomo pining over ‘Smart Girls’: “Smart girls, never get enough of those smart girls, sleeping in the buff.” Grow up.

Luckily, ‘Ruling Me’ is a song that’s largely untainted by Cuomo’s pubescent friskiness, and it’s probably the best song on the album. It’s a love song with Beach Boys-esque harmonies, and it’s believable enough, but didn’t you just prefer when instead he’d fallen in love with an 18-year-old girl in Japan he’d never get to meet? That was real heartbreak.

‘Where’s My Sex?’ sees Cuomo with his tongue pressed so hard in his cheek he should be careful not to get cramp. It’s apparently funny; Cuomo heard a family member become an unsuspecting victim of a Freudian slip when asking if anyone had seen their socks, or so the story goes. It’s just an unfortunate title, too similar to the majestic Pinkerton opener ‘Tired of Sex’. The songs differ so much in quality it’s not worth running a musical comparison. It’s probably the only nostalgia trip that actually works on this hardened Weezer-cynic though, albeit a counter-productive one as all it serves to do is point out the flaws in their current album by (probably unintentionally) invoking memories of their best.

In actuality, the answer to my original question is irrelevant; it really doesn’t matter how you judge a Weezer album, because odds are on all counts it’s going to be bad these days. I just hope that the stark contrast between this album and their brace of classics only accentuates their greatness, rather than taint their memory.

Written for www.nightbus.tumblr.com

Twin Shadow ForgetOwen Pallett A Swedish Love Story
Of Montreal False PriestThe Tallest Man on Earth Sometimes The Blues Is Just A Passing Bird
Arcade Fire The SuburbsFrank Black Nonstoperotik
3.1
good
  • yidnarc (2.5)
    This definitely isn't the worst album I've ever heard but it's really only okay; not as go...

fsharp (3)
    Hurley isn't a true return to form, but it's a return to something....

DrEpic4181 (3.5)
    An album that pits old weezer with new weezer, and old weezer wins....

Nevin (2.5)
    Weezer makes it obvious once again that trying anything new is not what they have in mind....

• Adam Thomas STAFF (3.5)
    They're still kicking ass. They're train wrecks....

nebuzad0 (4)
    Hurley has caused a rip in our universe as the destined probability that this album would ...

CasualListen (3.5)
    The only thing you really need to know about this band is that there is really, really goo...

AtavanHalen

cool story bro

ffs
September 20th 2010

this is well written but i dont think you really justify the rating. ive never really listened to this band so idrk

album is meh, but i don't know about a 1

Digging: Damien Rice - My Favourite Faded Fantasy

Knott-
September 20th 2010

answer to question is not like this

exaggerated rating + arrogant tone + lack of actually talking about music + unfunny = ?

although i concede that you have a great command of language, you just use it in the wrong way.

NeutralThunder12
September 20th 2010

havent even heard this yet and I know your review wasn't fitting. Weezer's first two albums were awesome and even the Green Album was pretty good, and Ive always liked the band, ima get this

LukeB84
September 20th 2010

Memories is about the only decent song off this.

tiesthatbind
September 20th 2010

This is just very average.

Digging: Poets of the Fall - Twilight Theater

Apollo
September 20th 2010

I won't bother checking this out. The cover is retarded (and I like LOST)

LepreCon

Album is good

foreverendeared

review is good

Raz0rGrind23

Great review.....Spot on

Eskate87
September 20th 2010

Nice review. I'm not sure I would rate it a 1, but to each his own. I listened to the album when it first streamed...and completely forgot about it 5 minutes later. Album is very forgettable.

Curse.

average album, def not a 1

BigHans

not a 1.

Apollo

not a 3.5 either

Fuff24
September 20th 2010

decent review. but the part about being a "serious alternative music publication" made me lol. you have 4 reviews. Don't overhype yet.

elephantREVOLUTION
September 20th 2010

really good review. pos'd.

Crymsonblaze

Album rules.

ciaranmc
September 20th 2010

Hi sorry just to let you know I've copied this from a blog I contribute to, so if any of the language reads like how Fuff24 has pointed out it's because of that.

Aids
September 20th 2010

I thought this was a fantastic review. I haven't heard the album, don't play to either. I think most of the negative comments (I'm looking at your Strikey) were reactions to a disagreement in rating. I mean, it's a really good review. I think so anyway.

Digging: Marketa Irglova - Muna