Hot Snakes
Suicide Invoice

by dreamobile USER (6 Reviews)
September 17th, 2010 | 5 replies | 3,197 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Hot Snakes slow things down a tad on their second album, but the songs are all the more furious and compelling for it.

Chances are if you're listening to this album you're already familiar with John Reis and Rick Froberg. The former made a name for himself with garage rockers Rocket from the Crypt, and both blew out speakers in the seminal post-hardcore outfit Drive Like Jehu. Hot Snakes takes the dissonant riffing of Drive Like Jehu and combines it with the breakneck punch of Rocket from the Crypt, resulting in an album that's all lean, mean punk rock aggression.

Well, almost all. Compared to the other two Hot Snakes albums, there's more emotion to balance out the more aggressive numbers. "Gar Forgets His Insulin" for example is a wry jab at Gar Wood's condition, complete with a menacing bass rumble provided by the man himself. And "Paperwork" is a surprisingly restrained working man's rant against the man. But other tracks like "Why Does It Hurt?" and particularly the title track are just raw sincerity. When Froberg laments "and when I dream/I keep my promises to you/I really do" the lines will worm their way into your head and haunt you long after the album's over.

Opener "I Hate the Kids" however is full of as much rage as any song from their debut, bile dripping from each word Froberg rips from his throat as the rhythm section pounds holes in the pavement. These clashes of feeling are what make this album such a tense and exciting ride.

Suicide Invoice lies in the middle, not as experimental as Drive Like Jehu, nor as slickly produced as Rocket from the Crypt. But fans of both will definitely find something to love here, as will newcomers. Loud, abrasive, and at times brutally honest, Hot Snakes is one band you should not overlook.

Karate PocketsOneida Each One Teach One
Dungen Ta Det LugntThe Plot To Blow Up The Eiffel Tower Dissertation, Honey
Hawkwind Space Ritual
fogza (5)
Just plain, no frills rock and roll brilliance....

Automatic Midnight

dreamobile
September 17th 2010

Maybe too short? Is there a way to edit my review?

cvlts
September 17th 2010

underneath your profile pic is the option to Edit Reviews

spacing/paragraphing=success

Digging: As Cities Burn - Come Now Sleep

StreetlightRock
September 18th 2010

Short is good but this looks like you wrote the first two paragraphs then sorta gave up on the last two. That said, I haven't heard this, but Automatic Midnight kicks ass.

Digging: Labyrinth Ear - The Orchid Room

porch
September 5th 2011

blatant wipers imitation done pretty well

Goatlord
December 3rd 2011

Best goddamned record of the 00s. And yes, they borrow heavily from the Wipers but hey, if you're going to rip someone off, you might as well rip off someone good!