Linkin Park
A Thousand Suns

by CasualListen USER (13 Reviews)
September 15th, 2010 | 23 replies | 4,942 views

Review Summary: This is the band's first concept album. Musically, it is still not superior to the band's debut record, but it contains some of the most impressive vocal parts of the genre.

For fans who have long anticipated (and feared) the coming of “A Thousand Suns,” you are about to be pleasantly surprised – it is absolutely fantastic. Linkin Park is back with their fourth studio record and first concept album. This time around, guitars take a back seat to keyboards and various other tools of Electronica. This is not to say that guitars are completely absent, but rather saved for crucial moments on the record. The result is a risky yet perfectly executed 45 minute addition to Linkin Park’s discography. Although it would appear they have abandoned their original sound completely, “Suns” still sounds just like a Linkin Park album.

Once again, Linkin Park provide the thrills and chills with great musicianship and new ideas that pay off in spades. The production is very full and atmospheric. Shinoda and Bennington once again share songs and give their best vocal performances of all four albums.

The album opens with Burning in the Skies, a very mellow song with a cool rhythm and lyrics that conjure thoughts of Meteora. At any point on the record where there is percussion - you hear Mr. Hahn's session. Not the most original sound, but still an effective throw back to the debut. Bennington really shines on Blackout – a tour de force featuring some of his best vocals to date. Shinoda pops in at the end with a catchy final verse that changes the pace of the song altogether. Iridescent kicks off with and simple but haunting piano part coupled with a very atmospheric electronic choir that feels like something straight out of a modern war movie. The Catalyst, too, is a very exciting song that carries a heavy energy. The rhythm is fast and the keyboards are much louder and more complex than in other songs - It's probably also the best song on the album.

What is most appreciable about “A Thousand Suns” is Shinoda and Bennington’s focus on vocal parts vs. music. This may upset fans looking for the right combination of heavy guitars, bass and Mr. Hahn’s mixing station. However, what these two singers are able to do with mood is incredible. Waiting for the End, for example, has a beautiful final minute in which lines sung by both singers eventually overlap – not unlike that of a Taking Back Sunday song. All of this focus on vocals may deter from the musicianship, but it’s all so well crafted and deeply satisfying that I don’t think most casual listeners and critics will care. More focus on guitar, drum and bass parts would have raised the value of the experience musically.

Although 15 tracks in length, “A Thousand Suns” only actually contains 8 full length songs longer than the length of 3 minutes. The remaining tracks include various speeches by Robert Oppenheimer and Mario Savio that give the record it’s political feeling. Some tracks simply take a moment to repeat and remix the choruses of previous tracks which add mood but do little to impress. I have to be honest with you…without these 1 minute tracks on the record, “A Thousand Suns” is no different than Meteora, lyrically. Perhaps one or two songs throw back to "Minutes to Midnight" with a line here and there– but this album is quite straightforward and even a bit optimistic - which makes for a fun listen.

Thus far, the album has received mixed reviews by fans and critics alike. As a fan of “Minutes to Midnight,” I can confidently state that this album is far superior. It doesn’t match the band’s first two albums, but it surpasses their production value and performances. “A Thousand Suns” marks a step forward for the band as it is both their first concept album and revelation of the talent of its two lead singers. This isn’t “Kid A” or “OK Computer” because the band is clearly just trying to experiment. We don’t know how their next album will sound. It may be no different than “Hybrid Theory.” If they keep up the good work that they did with this album and also focus more on the musicianship of their other band members – their fifth album could be a classic.

Linkin Park Living ThingsSnow Patrol Fallen Empires
Taking Back Sunday Taking Back SundayBlink-182 Neighborhoods
Weezer Death to False MetalTrapt No Apologies

LG
September 15th 2010

This does not deserve so much praise. Album is painfully average, but at least an improvement over M2M.

ShadowRemains

20253 Comments

too. many. reviews

THIEF
September 15th 2010

NO NO NO NO! Not another goddamn Thousand Suns review! Please stop.

loveisamixtape

review number 9.
says nothing new than the other pos reviews for this.

from now on, whenever someone else reviews this i'm troll negging it. no matter how good the review is.
enough is enough.

Digging: Keep - Hypnosis for Sleep

greg84
September 15th 2010

Gonna write another review for this album. Nah. Just kidding.

Digging: Dog Fashion Disco - Sweet Nothings

LG
September 15th 2010

I almost died laughing. I just discovered Shrooms btw.

CasualListen
September 15th 2010

hahahahhahaahahaha....i already reviewed the album a week ago, but it got deleted, so i just waited
for the album to be released. I liked it. Thanks for not trolling. But I anticipate I'll get some
heat for this one. Do you think the review will have more of an impact if I change the score to a 5?

loveisamixtape
September 15th 2010

you'll get flamed if you change this to a 5.

not by me, but the trolls will fuck you with a soldering iron. sideways. without any lube.

Irving
September 15th 2010

Good review, I liked it. Very detailed, and it does well to recall the band's previous works, and contrast how their latest offering stands up to their last one.

Also...if you've seen up to nine reviews of album X already and it makes you bored...then you could just not read the latest review of album X if there is one. Right? In other words, there's no need to troll/put down those who come here to practice reviewing and share their opinions, really.

cinaedus

stop the high ratings!

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

September 15th 2010

This album hasn't even been out for a week and already I'm sick of hearing about it.

Deviant.
September 15th 2010

Its not so much that there's a high number of reviews, but just that's been so many so quickly

Digging: FaltyDL - In The Wild

Yeah, pretty much.

Foxhound
September 15th 2010

I've become so numb! i can't feel you there lalalallala

Irving
September 15th 2010

@ Deviant: Well-called. That's absolutely true.

Intothepit
September 15th 2010

It's not so much about how fast people are pumping these reviews out, it's how much all of them say the same..... fucking..... thing.

THIEF
September 15th 2010

Yeah these reviews are about as pointless as the Band.

Intothepit
September 15th 2010

Could staff put a block on reviewing this for a couple of weeks? I mean FUCK!

tiesthatbind
September 15th 2010

Finally listening to this. I'm not even a hater, but this really sucks. Minutes to Midnight was definitely better than this.

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

Oneiron
September 16th 2010

So six paragraphs and you only have one sentence that actually describes the music beyond a simple adjective like mellow or exciting... I get the hint that they've gone electronic, but seriously. What does this sound like? If I'd never heard it I'd have no idea if I'd like it or not. You're too caught up in trying to convince us that there are good parts in the album that you forget to mention any of them explicitly.