Lil B
Blue Flame

by Bulldog USER (114 Reviews)
September 14th, 2010 | 280 replies

Review Summary: Blue Flame is an excellent mixtape that achieves a uniquely obscure balance.

It was British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli who said, “…there are lies, there are damned lies, and there are statistics.” So, to avoid any typed fallacies (damned or otherwise) I’ll run through several statistics. 1,500+ songs, 155 Myspace pages, nearly 53,000 Twitter followers, 200+ YouTube videos uploaded, blogosphere cult followings a la Cocaine Blunts and Worldstar Hip Hop, a few sold-out concerts, a fairly popular dance movement, and finally – a handful of music and hip-hop news outlets (including MTV) dubbing Lil B ‘an internet sensation’. So Sputnikers, it’s time. No longer can you dismiss Lil B as an immaterial artist - you have to finally give him a fair listen, and since it’s much better than sorting through his vast, messy catalog, Blue Flame is a great place to start.

Beleaguered by slight inconsistency, stylistic sporadicity, and a sprawling run time around eighty minutes, Blue Flame fails to outdo Lil B’s ambient crossover release this year (Roses Exodus), but by no means is it a poor release. Coming just a few weeks after The Pack’s mediocre sophomore release Wolfpack Party, Blue Flame is a satisfying change of pace in contrast to the sparse appearances Based God lends on the aforementioned LP. Much to my satisfaction, Blue Flame is an excellent mixtape that achieves a uniquely obscure balance. Between Lil B’s erratic stream-of-consciousness songs that are “full of sound and fury and signify nothing” accompanied by frenzied electronics and his meaningful tracks with ambiguously sensible dictations and soulful backdrops, Blue Flame is a record that is almost entirely strictly black-and-white, and the album’s flow can be less than seamless at times. Regardless, it’s an enjoyable affair that deserves repeated listens, and due to a good amount of smashers (“Wonton Soup”, “Blue Flame”, “I’m Paris Hilton”) and minimal filler (“Like Me”, “Free Lil Wayne”, “Dem BasedGod”) it becomes more enjoyable as time wears on.

A swirling mixture of an unchained flow, topical tangents, adlibs, profane exclamations, and mild nasal, Lil B’s flow is the perfect utensil for serving up his patent-pending based raps. For an example of this style, look no further than “Rich Ho”, which has a quintessential Lil B stanza, “Thirty on my d*ck ‘cause I’m Bob Sagget/Girls love me, no you’re a faggot/In the hood like a carburetor/Ten on my *ick ‘cause I look like Darth Vader.” The unnecessary profanity, nonsensical statement, “I look like ___” archetype and “(insert number here) on my *dick” are frequently recurring archetypes in his based raps, and are equal parts fun and uncanny. Descriptions of his meaningful, intrapersonal and sociopolitical songs will be much more general. Curtailed blurbs, seemingly irrelevant exasperations, and unexplained statements are common elements, but topicality ranges from the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico to purported, unwary defense of civil liberties to inner conflict and the exterior coping that stems from it.

Although constantly infrequent regarding music as it pertains to a song-to-song basis, the production lineup on Blue Flame is stellar. Throw away the overly minimalistic 808’s-based, percussive beat of “Dem BasedGod”, the R&B cut “Like Me”, and the borrowed Hot Boys beat used for “Free Lil Wayne” (note how the three worst songs have the three worst instrumentals), and you have near-perfect production. There are quite a few superb instrumentals on here. Epic swag song “Wonton Soup” has majestic, triumphing horn-synths, and “Cold War” has a beautiful Janelle Monae sample, but the wild, grinding siren-synths of “BasedGod” takes the cake as the best, with the loud piano loop beat of “Mel Gibson” coming in at a close second.

This is the easiest entry point, and because it’s so damn good, it’s come down to now You owe it to yourself to at least give B a chance. For those who have already heard him and dismiss him – listen harder, and for those who are already devoted fans – BASED NATION UNITE!

Young L DOMO-KUNRaekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang
Lupe Fiasco LasersSaigon The Greatest Story Never Told
MF DOOM Operation: DoomsdayLil B Angels Exodus

September 15th 2010

I got 99 reviews and blue flame is one.

September 15th 2010

Also, album is available legally (if you don't believe me, check out Lil B's Twitter @lilbthebasedgod) for free at http://www.datpiff.com/Trap-a-Holics_Lil_B_The_Based_God__Blue_Flame.m151860.html

No subscription required, as it is sponsored.

hydeyomoney
September 15th 2010

i got 99 things and an over-used joke is one.

but on a serious note pretty good review, excellent album, and nostalgic pen & pixel cover.

gracias amigo.

needed to do one last review before CAMPOUT

September 15th 2010

does the ambient suck here like it did on roses exodus

September 15th 2010

Uh if you actually read the review you would know that the beats are good and that there's no ambient.

September 15th 2010

I don't read your reviews silly.

readup

Deviant.
September 15th 2010

I don't read your reviews silly.

You should, this was better than your last one

Digging: LV and Joshua Idehen - Islands

September 15th 2010

But Bulldog actually put effort into this one and didn't do the review based on a "you do mine I do yours" sort of deal.

Deviant.
September 15th 2010

So? At the end of the day, he wrote something better than you

September 15th 2010

But one half-assed work in comparison to one not half-assed work does not indicate that either of us has a larger degree of talent than the other considering both our bodies of work are very large.

September 15th 2010

That's true Bitchfork, but your problem is that you assume that this wasn't half-assed.

also, thanks dev.

Ire
September 15th 2010

Bulldog has actually been improving on his writing lately. (over the last few months i mean.)

Your reviews just keep getting worse and more annoying.

September 15th 2010

Mine was written in literally two minutes I don't even want to defend it; I wouldn't if I wasn't so fucking stubborn.

Satellite

20818 Comments

Good review bdawg.

Thanks Satellite.

B4K - i learned this the hard way - people wont judge your reviews by how little effort you put into it, theyll judge it by the final product. just the way it is :-

September 15th 2010

I'm aware of that but it's like... I don't care about that review whatsoever so it's like, the point of bringing that up is..?

Urinetrouble
September 15th 2010

good review. might heck this outz