While She Sleeps
The North Stands For Nothing

good

by Eli EMERITUS
September 14th, 2010 | 35 replies

Review Summary: A very tepid, yet very passionate debut.

"The North Stands For Nothing" is the debut album by the metalcore band, While She Sleeps. The band has been playing shows since about 2006, and have cited both Thrice and Rancid as bands that made them want to play in a band. However, no two bands could describe them any worse. While She Sleeps are a metalcore band through and through. While their singer wanders into the realm of hardcore now and then, the band adheres to a very, very strict metalcore sound. It's pretty much by the books, and added to that, an obscene amount of chugging, with palm mutes a plenty. Very standard, very stale. However, While She Sleeps are not without their intriguing moments. There's some pretty cool guitar work (albeit, a little noodling), and the vocals are very passionate. In fact, while the band as a whole is very young, and very inexperienced, it's clear that these guys are so full of passion and youthful exuberance, that it's coming out of their ears. They play with a lot of intensity, and it really shines through. And to give credit where credit is due, the band really does try to make things interesting. "Trophies" offers up a neat piano interlude (which has unfortunately been done to death), and some pretty decent drumwork. Sadly, none of this can really outweigh how juvenille the band truly sounds. And it all boils down to that fact. "The North Stands For Nothing" is simply to immature an effort to be anything other than a very novel, first impression. Yet it stands to reason, that this album is a very good first impression. The passion and drive are clearly there, so it should be said that the future looks fairly bright for the guys in While She Sleeps.

Fell Voices Regnum SaturniHammock Oblivion Hymns
antonyblake (4)
The best Steel City band and no, it's not Bring Me The Horizon...

NothingForSomething (4)
This is Hardcore music devoid of all the stigmas that bands like Bring Me The Horizon attached to it...

Leotroy (3.5)
Pure passion from the steel city...

This Is The Six

September 14th 2010

I probably gave this too much credit.

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

It's.... a little short

Digging: Lantlos - .neon

September 14th 2010

It's VERY short. I'm trying to improve in the art of short, yet detailed reviews. If you could give me a little pointers where i could improve, that would be awesome!

And, I quite honestly was lazy. There are only 4 ratings for this, so I did a very quick, 10 min. write up.

September 15th 2010

It's definitely well written, I just wish that there was more to read. Still it's worthy of a pos, but I'd definitely like to see maybe one more paragraph of equal or greater length.

Voivod
September 15th 2010

I'm trying to improve in the art of short, yet detailed reviews

i'm with you on this.

but sometimes you have to write a lot, while at times reviews such as this, can be equally informative.

Digging: Alkoholizer - Free Beer... Surf's Up!!!

KrissWatts
September 15th 2010

Is this worth checking out? I've heard a few tracks and they seemed pretty good. Feels like it might be a bit of a monotonous listen though...

TBliss
September 15th 2010

This band are ok, really nothing to go overboard on though. Very standard metalcore stuff.

KrissWatts
September 16th 2010

I've listened to the whole album and I completely agree with your scoring. Bravo!

TheOceanInside
November 17th 2010

you should've mentioned the southen-ish influence of some of the riffs, for example the one in The North Stands For Nothing.

November 17th 2010

whoah, forgot I reviewed this. Yes, perhaps you are correct.

Foxhound
November 17th 2010

how can you forget such insanity!?!?

snerefedsav
January 23rd 2011

i quite like this. it's really generic but really well done. definitely interested in what these guys will do in the future. good review though

February 1st 2011

band is kinda overrated over here but this album is still great. especially check out ''crows'' if you get the chance.

Alexcore
February 17th 2011

one of the few new metalcore bands that's actually worth listening to.They remind me of "Nightmares"-era Architects,yet they have even more melodic riffs

thumbcrusher
February 23rd 2011

this cd had a few good moments, but i hated the vocals.

February 24th 2011

so many scene kids jumping on this band...

February 24th 2011

so many scene kids jumping on this band...

PurpleDino
May 30th 2011

^ SO true

opis1011
June 16th 2011

who cares if scene kids jump anyone?

it is fucking music that matters!

and all i can say - these guys are full of passion and it is very cool that they successfully putt it in this music.
very cool band, but not because of originality, techyness or other shit, but because of passion in and about music.

Alexcore
June 17th 2011

good job on exaggerating the shit outta you mr.straighthair.