Unfathoms and Blasphymartyr
Votre Cote Mon Cote

by War On Drugs: Suck My Cock USER (20 Reviews)
September 11th, 2010 | 142 replies

Review Summary: Does what it is intended to. Blandly.

When I first heard that Unfathoms (Austin Tracey) and Blasphymartyr (Mappy) were doing a collaboration, I was not thrilled to say the least. Unfathoms' body of work ranges from awful to average grating and meandering noise. His last album, Rogue partially succeeded on the mere fact that he incorporated more variety into his music and less unlistenable noise. Unfortunately, it was too forgettable and average to go anywhere. I had not heard of Blasphymartyr's work until recently, but after listening to this split EP I can safely say that it is of the same category of noise as Unfathoms, albeit slightly more appealing and slightly more listenable.

Unfathoms' side of the EP, while not having much going on musically, does what it was intended to do; it maintains a calming, relaxing and often dreamlike feeling through minimal progression and ambient/post-drone instrumentation. "Tale of the Astral Plane Chapter One" soothes the listener with muffled text-to-speech lyrics and an atmospheric progression. "Chapter Two" follows the same concept, only this time the TTS is louder and more annoying. As the song faded into Blasphymartyr's "Disharmonious Latitude," my ears began to ache.

Blasphymartyr's work comes across as a stab at Unfathoms' early noise projects. "...And Harmony Escapes" wakes the listener up from the ethereal state of "Chapter Two" and is painful and thoroughly unenjoyable. The rest is more mellow, yet just as grating and with as little appeal to the ears. Closer "Benadryl: Please Stop Now, Kthxbai" is the only saving grace, with the noise more repressed and more attention paid to musical progression. The song ends with leaving the listener in almost the same state as Unfathoms' side. Still, it is obvious Blasphymartyr has a lot of work to do if he wants his noise to resemble good music.

In short, Mr. Tracey improves exponentially with Votre Cote, and Mappy fails blandly with Mon Cote. The result is an at times decent, yet usually inoffensive and forgettable release. Try again next time.

Weezer Everything Will Be Alright in the EndDemon Hunter Extremist
Samiam ClumsySkyhill Run With the Hunted
Ninja Sex Party Strawberries and CreamSwans Children of God
good

September 11th 2010

whoa I didn't know you write reviews

September 11th 2010

review is good, very brief and to the point. pos'd

one of your best yet, dare i say it

Digging: Low Roar - 0

I write one every 3 months lol

I have better things to do. And most stuff i listen to has over 9000 reviews already

TheSpirit
September 11th 2010

Reads like the rating should be much lower

Digging: The Speed of Sound in Seawater - Red Version

what's your job at RRR?

and yeah, it does read more like a 2 or less...but nevertheless outstandingly worded

whats reviewrinserepeat?

TheSpirit
September 11th 2010

I gave it a 2.5 for benefit of the doubt.

Ahh okay. It's still a pretty good review so pos

Meatplow

I like this.

Can you review the Unfathoms/Cripples Crossing Highways split coming up?

September 11th 2010

so you have a job there? like staff or something? i don't get it...

and yeah, i was wondering how i got so far ahead of you in reviews bro...at one point i had 20 and you had 18 or something like that

exitsense
September 11th 2010

I plan to listen to this later.

Digging: Chief Keef - Nobody

NeutralThunder12

lol B4k

September 11th 2010

lol sites other than sputnik

NeutralThunder12

lol sites other than sputnik [2]

Enotron
September 11th 2010

if he/she wants his/her noise

cold man

Realm

2074 Comments

ew this... split

merriweather
September 11th 2010

realm that's cool that you like here comes the indian but why do you not like animal collective's other stuff?? too poppy?

September 11th 2010

"1. Tales of the Astral Plane Chapter One: You Were Cut From Diamonds and Gold, But You're Still Just A Ruby. (Unfathoms)
2. Tales of the Astral Plane Chapter Two: Insomniac 004 - Desperation and Loneliness (Unfathoms)
3. Disharmonious Latitude (Blasphymartyr)
4. ...And Harmony Escapes (Blasphymartyr)
5. Hello Longitude (Erik) (Blasphymarytr)
6. Benadryl, Please Stop Now, Kthnxbai"

""Chapter Two" follows the same concept, only this time the TTS is louder and more annoying. As the song faded into Blasphymartyr's "...And Harmony Escapes," my ears began to ache,"
like it goes Chapter Two then Disharmonic Latitude so I don't know if I didn't get what you were saying or what but if that's an error I'd assume you'd like to change it.

But that said I didn't neg.

lol sites other than sputnik [3]

September 11th 2010

lol apathy is as careless as a drunken sparrow

kk