Oceansize
Self Preserved While The Bodies Float Up

by Sam Feldman's Rating USER (66 Reviews)
September 10th, 2010 | 27 replies | 3,756 views

When looking at the body of work Oceansize have dealt out throughout the years, it's hard to pick a weak spot in their catalogue. Their experiments through the fields of progressive, minimalist and rather beautiful rock have always wielded wildly different results, making the sound a difficult one to grasp fully, even after a dozen or so listens. Oceansize don't adhere to a strict formula (or any obvious formula for that matter) and while that might make it seem that they spend a fair share of time flying off the handlebars, their songs are at least unique and varied enough to warrant reception. This works in both ways, however: on one side of the spectrum it's refreshing to hear such non-comformity, such originality and vision. And yet on the other side, it keeps Oceansize from reaching the tip of the mountain; such variation can make things difficult to obtain a sense of personal connection with any of their music and sometimes things appear to be unmemorable because there's no feeling of relatability.

Now Oceansize could have continued on this similar path with the release of Self Preserved While The Bodies Float Up. Instead they release an album devoid of confusion, an album that reaches the ultimate heights that this band's purpose can acheive. They cut off the fluff of past presentations and make one of the most straightforward and hard-hitting albums of their career. Not hard-hitting in the sense of heavy; rather, it's hard-hitting because they get straight to the point and Oceansize's music is beautiful and passionate enough to cut right to the center of the listener. And with Self Preserved... they do just that; "Build Us A Rocket Then..." is a poly-rhythmic blast that wavers on losing control yet keeps you pulled in the entire time through its swaying vocals and wonderful tight punches. The album is constructed wonderfully; for every segment that is seemingly a call to the band's past, there's a counter-part keeping things ever so fresh and innovative.

The album also does a great job of slowing things down and letting Oceansize's great atmospheric feel for composition truly shine. "Oscar Acceptance Speech" and "Ransoms" are a fabulous middle point in the album with vocalist Mike Vennart's back to back of incredibly passionate croons over the piano led distortion of "Oscar..." and "Ransoms" slow-burning beautiful guitar lead. Both tracks brooden the entire scope of Self Preserved... and while some may think it's a prime example of a lull, I believe it to be the pinnacle and crucial point of the album. "Ransoms" is remarkably gorgeous with bubbling ambience, layered lyrics of the search for a dead woman, and an all around haunting mood of a moonlit surf in the ocean. It's Oceansize at their finest really and sends the album off to the 2nd half in style.

Whatever you think you might know about this band's bag of tricks, throw it out the window and try Self Preserved While The Bodies Float Up for yourself. Oceansize have constructed a compelling album, soothing yet powerful, and all the more brilliant thanks to a more focused approach to their varied sound. They've trimmed the excess and left us with bare-boned Oceansize, a band with nothing to lose and everything to offer. 4.4/5

Women Public StrainHip Hatchet Coward's Luck
The Roots undunTwo Door Cinema Club Tourist History
Real Estate DaysJenny Hval Viscera
  • MikeM (4)
    Music can still be made with real passion, and the results are spectacular....

froghawk (3.5)
    A strange, rewarding journey with a little bit too much filler....

James OBrien (4.5)
    Self Preserved is a complicated release. The evolution on this record will take both avid ...

Rob Heald (4)
    Oceansize has undoubtedly written their best music on this record, but it remains to be se...

• Sobhi Youssef EMERITUS (4)
    Finally, time for something not-so-completely different....

NeutralThunder12
September 10th 2010

need to get more into this band

I read most of this, nice work

omg what is going on.

Digging: Lord Mantis - Death Mask

September 10th 2010

Lmao. Thought my eyes were messing with me as I just finished commenting on a new review, and I see that another new one has been posted. Will read now.

Seriously, fromtheinside, take your shit somewhere else. Let us enjoy this. For some of us this is primetime, with our beloved band releasing a new album; this is the time to hype and talk the fuck out of an album

September 10th 2010

seriously, acorn stop being retarded.

JWT155
September 10th 2010

Just checked this album/band out for the first time and I like what I hear, kinda remind me of Thrice.

Digging: The Menzingers - Rented World

robertsona
September 10th 2010

in before alachahaol or w/e

September 10th 2010

has he been trollin you dude?

September 10th 2010

Review is awesome. Just read.

September 10th 2010

lol he's hilarious sometimes. but i just this and it was fantastic makes me wanna give it a third listen, and actually study ransoms maybe.

September 10th 2010

thanks man did you listen to this yet?

I haven't yet. I'm waiting for late night to roll in to give it a thorough fucking whipping with my headphones. Can't tell you how excited I am. Before Frames came out, I'd listened to this bootleg a good number of times, a bootleg of a show in which the band played a bunch of songs from Frames. I'd also listened to the Unfamiliar edit, and live The Frame mp3s many times, so suffice it to say, Frames didn't feel so "fresh" when I first popped it in.

This on the other hand :D completely, 100% spoil free

Hey look, another Chambered review I need to pos

Digging: L'Orange - The Orchid Days

September 10th 2010

Chill trippy beats made by a cute Asian girl, can't go wrong really

September 10th 2010

^ Send the pics. Then the music.

September 10th 2010

[img]http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/49352325/TOKiMONSTA+tokimon.jpg[/img]

Sweet.

bodiesinflight57
September 11th 2010

Nice to see Size getting so much attention on this site!

EVedder27

great review, I need this

Obfuscation24
September 11th 2010

Is this better than Frames?

jingledeath
September 11th 2010

Sweet review chambered, album is good but Frames and Effloresce are still superior.

kingsoby1
September 11th 2010

frames is their worst LP imo

Digging: Nmesh - Dream Sequins®