The Black Pacific
The Black Pacific

good

by fromtheinside USER (127 Reviews)
September 10th, 2010 | 9 replies | 6,424 views

Review Summary: PennywiseUnknownRoadAboutTimeFullCircleStraightAheadLandoftheFree?FromtheAshsesTheFuseReasonToBelieve

Yeah, that summary probably sounded better in my head than on paper simply due to intentions being lost in translation. However, don’t look now ‘cause this quaint observation proves beneficial in the end. Jim Lindberg’s new band, The Black Pacific, probably sounded like a fine endeavor on paper. Spearheaded by a prolific front man, it’s unfortunate from paper to wax the idea lost its ability to distinguish efforts from past accomplishments rendering it a carbon copy. This isn’t the worst news for fans of Pennywise as their favorite band laid a substantial foundation for The Black Pacific to platform. With a hot rhythm section, as suspected, a tight pension for political ideals, and a performance from the always endearing Lindberg, The Black Pacific craft a debut like there’s no yesterday.

Let’s get the immediate question out of the way first; what sets The Black Pacific apart from other punk/hardcore outfits – mainly Pennywise? Well, had this been a different ensemble I could abruptly point to Lindberg, sadly he’s worn this piece before. Still, with such refined aggression and a courted step above with invigoration, there presents the illusion of him never looking (sounding) so good - at least in the last ten years. It resonates with every line of “I’ve got something to believe in / I control my destiny!”, as the conviction begins to boil beneath the lines one is swept away with the heat and made a believer as well. Propitiously, it’s not just his newfound appeal in lyricism that’s excavated; Lindberg’s distilled passion alleviates some of the albums waning moments with hard pressed emotion. Both lyrically and instrumentally The Black Pacific is often propelled passed the familiar and into an agenda ridden attack with effervescent prosperity.

In what might be mistaken for angst, there’s actually a peppering of flair to help spice up the record. This comes in two onslaughts: melody, packed in the left handed swing (in this metaphor the user is right handed) segregating most of the anger into well placed bombardments, serving it’s time hostile and well when the right hand meets it’s mark. Poppy riffs spruce up breakdowns conserving the title of punk in the hardcore resemblances; while screams also serve their purpose marrying instances of melodic moments – a point in time where most would feel and urge to sing along.

Now these are some great credence’s toward Penny-er, I mean The Black Pacific. See therein roots the deepest problem seeded with this debut. Too many times the band is caught borrowing successful aspects from their father’s accomplishments. There are some slight bouts of reprieve as the band struggle to decide whether there’ll be more –core or punk, but these instances are the same heard with Pennywise, and quite frankly, were done with much better grace. Essentially The Black Pacific have taken the entire evolution of the former’s career and condensed to within thirty-two minutes. This tarnishes the identity The Black Pacific might have achieved. While their intentions probably seemed good within the mind, their execution leaves little original flavor to digest. These resounding flaws are made clear when you can’t mention one band without the other. While fans of Jim Lindberg will definitely find joy in hearing him continuing his career, other’s will be left with a plate of leftovers two years old.

Pyrrhon The Mother of VirtuesCult Leader Nothing for Us Here

streaming here: http://thepunksite.com/blackpacific.php

Digging: Coroner - No More Color

ConsiderPhlebas
September 10th 2010

Love Pennywise so I'll probably check this out. Good review as well.

h00kie214
September 10th 2010

Kinda like it weird right?

pizzamachine

Nice summary.

fromtheinside
September 10th 2010

i think it's "good" so i don't think it's that weird.

mitch91
September 11th 2010

I see this album as a stepping stone between the two bands. Jim said he wrote some of these songs years ago, so they are essentially Pennywise songs. He also said the new material he's writing (for a 2nd album) is in a slightly different direction, which should be interesting.

Probably the most exciting thing about this album however is the thought of what the next Pennywise album will sound like!

Digging: Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight

botb
October 10th 2010

i kinda wanna hear this

rollnchew
October 27th 2010

I never really listened to pennywise but I really liked this so I might check them out

Spgale
March 26th 2011

If the cd said pennywise instead of the blck pacific, I wouldn't have noticed